12 Steps to Improving Your Mac's Performance

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 22, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

What awful advice. I was hoping for something a bit more substantial.

3. macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

This article was full of benign advise. How does having spam or a lot of e-mail for that matter make your computer slow? Not allowing a hard drive to become "full" is good advise. Mac OS X automatically de-fragments your HD and will stop if the drive becomes full. Running repair disk permissions is also good advise. Everything else was just filler or common sense.

4. macrumors 68000

Earendil

chalk up another vote for "stupid article".

Tyler
    Earendil

5. macrumors newbie

I agree

I hate to "me too" comments, but this was god awful. Hopefully the author will take some time to learn about the operating system that she's writing about in the future and post some constructive comments instead of "windows maintenance 101" rehashed.

geesh.

Brian

6. macrumors 6502

Installing a virus scanner for system that has no viruses available is a bit pointless in increasing the speed.

This article was disappointing I was hoping it actually had some real information on optimising your mac.

7. macrumors member

what a load of ****! Just goes to show how worthless MCSE certification really is!

Layton

8. macrumors 603

shadowfax

Still, my powerbook is a lot slower than it was a year ago. I think defragmentation, eventually, is good advice. the file system isn't prone to fragmentation, but not impervious to it either.

*fishes around for diskwarrior*

9. macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

10. macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Hey guys, don't be so harsh. Not all folks are as informed as those of us on these formums. Most of it seems basic to us but to the technically challenged there is good info in the article.

Many of you have been saying that OS X automaticly defragments. While this may be true, I always notice a performance boost when I run Norton Speed Disk. I think this is most helpful when I do house cleaning (as the artical mentions). I get rid of alot of things I don't need or don't use. Then do a backup, and finish up with Speed Disk. They key to Speed Disk is to start up from a different drive. This allows Speed Disk to totally optimize the drive, not just defragment.

11. macrumors regular

ou beat me to it. I've had some nightmare problems with Norton utilities 7.0 agmenter (because at the time it was still written for OS 9 even though they were claiming it "works" with 10) and I'm skeptical about jumping into using a third party app that messes with OS files. I do wish, however, that apple would provide some more substantial maintenance utilities preinstalled.

12. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

13. macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree there are those that aren't Tech Savvy, so this information can be very helpful. The article is sent to a large audience. So there are bound to be some that consider the information to be below them.

14. macrumors 68000

Earendil

I don't think the tech savvy are saying this is "useless" information, though obviously there is some stuff there, like virus software is a MUST, that isn't all that important. It's that the Title, and what the Article was supposed to be about, did not at all apply to what the article contained. None of the things the mention will "speed up" anyones Mac.

Tyler
    Earendil

15. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Very true...The article would have been more true to its title if it had instructed us on how to make a g5-sized catapult.