12" superdrive fully loaded

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by orijinal, Jul 16, 2005.

1. orijinal macrumors 6502

Jun 6, 2005
    I've been in the market for a 15" powerbook for a long time, but haven't been able to garner enough $ for it. I think I'd be better off with a fully loaded 12" superdrive.

I'd just like to know if anyone has played warcraft 3 on it. That is really the only game I play, and I heard it runs great on the 15" powerbook, but keep in mind this has a better video card.

I'd also like to know if I can hook up my 12" super drive to my Dell 2005FPW widescreen LCD. Can the video card support this?

Also, are there any hinge problems with the 12" powerbook? I heard about the 15" 1.5Ghz having a hinge problem (it not closing properly, or something), but in the 15" 1.67Ghz, the hinge was improved and had no problem.

and finally, how is the 12" with tiger? are there any problems?

I think a 12" superdrive + my monitor is better than a 15" right now.
  2. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I think that you would be fine with a fully-loaded 12" PowerBook G4.
    I would imagine that warcraft 3 would run fine (not much difference in performance between 12"er & 15"er).
    You should have no problem hooking up your 'Book to your Dell LCD (you will need to use the included mini-DVI to DVI adapter).
    Tiger should also run fine on the 12" PowerBook.
  3. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    never played a single game on this thing (i just got done with a nice Counter Strike session on my desktop :p ) so i can't help you there.

I threw a 1gb stick in here and it is a huge difference. Tiger was snappy, but is now great no matter whati have open. the only thing i could bring it down with was photoshop cs and that took 5 100mb psds to do that.

I have been looking into the 24" Dell for a bit now. It will work great on that 20" for sure.

no hinge problems. sometimes the magnet pulls it out a bit funny so it closes a little harder, but it has never been a big deal. still much tighter and better than my other laptop.

the only regret i have with getting this is that i waited a month to get more memory. buy it when you get your pb and you'll never know the difference.
  4. kant macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    Definitely. I just got the Dell this week and have it hooked up to my 12" 1ghz pb. The GPU temp went up ~3 degrees F, but that's it.
  5. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 6, 2005
  6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    WC3 ran pretty decent on my sisters 933mhz iBook G4 (9200/32mb GPU). It'll run swimmingly on any current PBook.