12" to 14" iBook experiences?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mcpix, Aug 27, 2005.

1. mcpix macrumors regular

I currently have a 12" 600MHZ G3 iBook. I've been planning to buy the new 12" iBook, but lately I've started to look at the new 14".

I know there are a bunch of 12" vs. 14" threads, but I'd like to hear specifically from those who've had both. Should I switch to the bigger screen?

2. JoeKarame macrumors regular

JoeKarame

Well, as chance would have it, I made the switch from my 12" g4-800 to a new 14" one today!

Certainly wasn't going to, but the store didn't have any of the 12" ones in stock, and they were selling the 14" -1.33 model for £700 - which swayed me considerably.

The screen size is definitely noticeable - certainly a far bigger screen, with no noticeable loss of definition to me at least. It's not quite as portable as the 12" - for obvious reasons! But, it doesn't seem to be much heavier at all - which is a plus.

I'm very happy with the change - the speed difference is brilliant, but then you'd get that with any upgrade really.

At the end of the day, it depends what you want. Certainly, I wouldn't have gone for the larger screen if it hadn't have been on sale, but now that I have it, and I'm poorer by far, I'm perfectly happy! It's also the first time I've had a go with Garageband - it's great fun.

Either way, you'll be happy!

3. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Well, I know this isn't specifically what you're after, but I actually find my iBook a bit of a let down!

I went from a 15" Ti Powerbook to an iBook due to the portability, but I do find it to be slower than the Powerbook, which was two years older technology.

Still, I do a lot of music editing, and for me the iBook just doesn't cut the mustard! I'm looking into re-buying another Powerbook. They're just so damn sweet!! hehe.

I'm sure though, that either way you'll be happy. But pleaaaassseee - Load it up with Ram, it makes soooooo much difference!

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i like the 12" screen more, but that's purely personal preference. if you think about buying 14" ibook for the extra speed, why not buying the cheapest powerbook?

5. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I love my iBook 14", I find it so much easier to type on than the 12" due to the slightly bigger screen. If I were you I would go and try typing on both iBooks at an apple store (if you can) before deciding, as different people come back with very strong opinions.

I haven't owned a 12", but a good friend owns one, and I am always so pleased that I purchased the bigger one when using his.

Hope this helps.

::20ROGERSC::

6. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

Yep lots of people complain about the 14'' because of the pixels but to me it makes no difference. I find it a lot easier for word processing, playing dvds, and gaming as well.

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

my dad likes the bigger one, too, but he's +50 and people that age need BIG buttons ;)

8. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

It also depends on the size of your hands. If you have large hands, the 14" may feel a lot more comfortable for typing. There is more space between the bottom of the keyboard and the lower edge of the laptop.

9. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I think it all comes down to what you're going to be using it for. If you want more portability then go for the 12", if you're going to use this primarily as a "main" computer at home then I would go for the larger screen with the 14".

10. JoeKarame macrumors regular

JoeKarame

In an ideal world, I'd probably have gone for a 12" one, but then grab an iMac too - I think someone else on another thread mentioned that you can grab an iMac and an iBook for less than the cost of a 15" PB - I love the machine, but if I had that little bit extra money, I'd have probably done that!

Still, maybe the next update of the Mini's will sort me out there!

11. mcpix thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

Part of my problem is that since my son moved back home, I lost my "office". So, my laptop is now my main computer too. I don't really have any problems using the 12" for most things, it's just that when I do Photoshop stuff, it seems too small.

On the other hand, I'm afraid the 14" will be too bulky. I pack my 12" iBook everywhere and usually sit it on the arm of the sofa while I'm watching TV.

I just don't want it to be like my daughter's 15" widescreen PC laptop. It's a great computer (Windows XP aside), but I tried to use it a couple of times, and it really feels like you should set it on a desk or table. Plus, it's pretty big to pack around while travelling.

12. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Personally I went with the 12". I don't see any need to get the 14" unless you have bad eyes or you want a built in superdrive.

1. The screen resolution for both is the same 1024x768. This means no more real estate just bigger icons.

2. Keyboard size is the same for both.

13. bignamehyp macrumors newbie

buy a imac and get a free ipod mini
    but :
    The following computers qualify for this offer: all PowerBook models, all iMac models, all Power Mac models, and all iBook models excluding the 12-inch iBook CD

14. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

i had a 12" ibook 800
    and bought my parents the 14" ibook 700
    i liked the 12" much more, the only thing i liked about the 14" was watching movies (thats what my parents use it for)
    12" is great for portability
    but go with the 14" if you use photoshop or watch a lot of movies