12 vs 15

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yg17, Sep 4, 2005.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    So I may be getting a Powerbook. I was looking at a 15, but it's gotta go to class with me and the 15s don't look very portable. I have a 12 inch iBook right now and I can see the screen fine without my glasses, so visibility isn't really an issue. Plus the 12 inch PB would fit better into my budget. Is a 15 really worth it? The way I'm seeing it, I lose 3 inches of screen real estate and pick up a superdrive and still spend $300 less than my original plans. Thanks
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
  3. lfielder06 Guest

Dec 5, 2004
    It seems like you are already set on the 12". I think you should go with the 12" if you want to take it to class. I have a brand new 15" and love it. It is just as portable, but is uncomfortable on small desks in lecture halls. I had a 12" before this and it was perfect, but I always found myself wanting more screen real estate. I would recomend getting an external for home use if you choose the 12". If you are using a 12" ibook and you don't mind the small screen then go with the 12" pb. I don't know if you really need to burn dvds on the road, but if you don't I would save your money and get an external FW400 burner. My internal burner says it will burn 8x , but only burns around 3x tops. You can save around $100 if you build your own ext. drive. Good luck on your purchase.
  4. 40167 macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2004
    I'd go 12 inch, which you seem to have your mind set on anyway... If you need a big screen, chances are you would only absolutely need alot of screen space when your at a desk anyway and you could just plug in a normal monitor and dual screen. Durring class you won't need that much space, unless your doing like photoshop editing or so for class. Typing and web works just fine on a 12inch screen.

The only reason I might debate the 15, is the keyboard doesnt feel as cramped; theres more space for your hands to rest on the system. With the 12inch powerbooks I always end up having only half my hand on the system when using the mouse and that eventualy gets kinda painful too.
  5. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Personally, I like the 15" PowerBook G4 better. But if you want to bring it with you to class to type on, then go with the 12" as most desks in college classes tend to be cramped (they are at my college anyway).
  6. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO

I've got a G5 as well which I use at the desk, but my laptop still occasionally goes to class with me as well as home with me when I go home from college on the weekends. So an external display isn't an issue really.

lfielder06, I never use DVD burning capabilities in my G5. But, the Superdrive 12" also has an extra 20 gigs of disk space which I probably will need, so I'm going to go ahead and grab the one with the superdrive.

Also, does the free ipod deal work at a school bookstore too or just online?
  7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Doubtful but talk to the specific bookstore to find out.
  8. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I'm pretty sure the free iPod deal will work if you buy it from your school, you just have to buy both at the same time and on the same sales receipt.
  9. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Great, thanks.

Already have a 4th gen 40 gig, so I suppose I'll be having an iPod mini for sale soon :D
  10. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    12 Inch...

I'd say you want 12", you are only missing PCMCIA and Firewire 800. (S-video is obtained through mini-dvi with the supplied adaptor).
    Max the RAM and HDD, and you will get the best deal for you! :)
  11. faintember macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    the ruins of the Cherokee nation
    I just dont get why...

People keep saying that a 15" is too big to carry around, or that it is "not portable enough". I don't get this. If a 15" PB is too big or is inconvenient to carry around i feel sorry for you. (not bashing anyone in general, just speaking an opinion) ;)
    I was raised by a carpenter/brick mason, so i guess i that a 15" does not bother me. My next PB will be a 17", and i am sure, from talking to friends that have 17"s that there is no problems carrying them around.

The 15" has many more options that the 12" does not, and you will appreciate the extra screen space once you are out in the real world with no external monitor. Screen size is one thing you can not upgrade and still remain portable.
  12. GrimStranger macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2005
    One of my friends got the free ipod mini deal buying an iBook 14" at her school (SJSU) so I'd assume you can get it from your school as well.
  13. jimN macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2005
    15 inch laptops are definitely portable, although obviously it depends how you are plannign to cart it around. Both a 12" and a 15" will fit in a backpack but the 12" actually fits in a couple of my fiance's handbags which she was rather impressed by. The screen on my 12" is terrific but i sometimes miss the slightly larger real estate offered by my 15" vaio that i had before. I don't miss the absence of a PCMIA slot (have never have reason to use one) and firewaire 400 seems fast enough - if you don't know better then i'm sure that it is fine. Ultimately the decision is yours but given the same choice again i'd upgrade a 12 inch rather than settle on a bigger system.

Wait until the end of teh month though, rumour seems to be we'll see updates but without an SJ keynote at Paris there's always the chance that we won't see anything new.