12 year old runs over 2 year old

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by virividox, May 24, 2004.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better

sterilize him.

2. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    it says he punched the wall; its not the walls fault...

the kid was 12 what were u letting him do with a car

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

wow... how in the world could he have thought that would be a good idea... :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :( :mad: :eek:

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

What they didn't say there is that the father was sitting in the passenger seat with the door open. Had he not had the door open, the little girl wouldn't likely have been struck by the car at all. Obviously, the father wasn't thinking, but then, it's Floriduh. We have reports of horrendous accidents almost daily.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats sad, i kinda feel bad for the 12 year old, hes now traumatized for life

6. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Wow. I imagine it is going to be hard for the father to live with this guilt.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is just pain stupid doing something like that in a public parking lot. What are the police waiting for to file charges? :eek: :(

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They almost always wait to file charges here. They wouldn't want to trample on the freedom of an individual. What's so bad--they even wait when there was a death involved that was clearly the result of neglience.

9. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Oh sure, they don't file charges because there was a death in the family and it would be like adding insult to injury, but I think that charges should definitely be filed and the guilty adults involved ought to be doing some jail time.

Or, if they don't file any charges in this case, there shouldn't be any charges applied in *ALL* other cases of family deaths caused by negligence.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Of course, you're talking without knowledge about the other situations.

Last week, someone on a motorcycle riding at a high rate of speed ran into the back of an SUV and killed a child.

Recently, there were several drag racing incidents that resulted in death.

We have plenty of incidents that aren't one family member killing another, but charges are not filed.

11. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Here's your sign.

........ Unreal. I cannot imagine the pain that is being felt in that family right now.

12. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

For some people to learn to drive an aoutomobile at 12 is old. My father (who lived on a farm) learned to drive a tractor at 11. A real car at 12.5, and could do anything in a car when he was 14 (so long as the coppers don't find him :eek: ;) :D ). I'm just learning to drive and I'm only 15.5 years old (you can get a permit in MA when your 16).

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I had my permit at 15.5.

I think it is legal for a child to drive on a private parking lot. A lot of the road rules are only really valid because the government owns the roads.

It was negligent in the extreme of the adult in the car to allow the 12 year old to drive when there was anyone around. I am not sure how what happened happened but even reasonable care could have prevented it.

The father is guilty of manslaughter by the sound of it. The 12 year old I would say isn't really guilty of anything, reckless driving if anything but as I said it was private property so...

I would recommend the father be punished as follows: revoke his license, and give a huge amount of community service, preferably telling his story to students at safe driving assemblies. Add on a few years of probation and a hefty suspended sentence.

14. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i think you are correct on this one.

...and the rest of your post. in hindsight i am sure the man realizes he should have had the toddler on his lap the entire time. but- that doesn't change what he did.

my new solution to stupid people: sterilize them. i said it once. i've said it again. get those genes out of the pool as soon as possible.

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Its more humane to execute people.

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Two points here, and then you guys can crucify him (or his sperm)... First off, a lot of dads are this way. Half disconnected from the family, not attentive enough after at least 12 years of parenting. At least in the middle class, this is how most dads are, from my view anyway. Fortunately, luck us usually on their side, or there is someone else to avert tragedy. In this case, the worst happened. Secondly, and more to the point, my dad started teaching me how to drive as soon as i was large enough to operate the vehicle, which was about 10 or 11. I drove on a farm mostly, driving a truck through fields, that sort of thing. Not too dangerous, and there was always plenty of supervision. In the end I'm more confident as a driver and already knew traffic safety long before driver's ed. I don't think the guy was making a mistake by teaching his 12 year old to drive (although the legality of the parking lot is iffy, apparently for good reason). The problem is not that the dad was out there, but that the dad is a moron enough to have 1) left a toddler unsupervised and 2) failed to observe the parking lot. So i agree the guy should basically lose all parenting rights, but not because he dared put a 12 year old behind the wheel.

paul

17. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

If only we could. I remember a case from law school where a judge issued an order to prevent two severly retarded people from having a baby. They were both in an institution and were cared for by the government. If they had a baby, there was a 100% chance it would also be retarded. Since the couple would not be mentality capable of raising the baby, the baby becomes another ward of the state costing taxpayers $$$ for lifetime care. Judged ruled that the state should not have to pay to support another person, especially since the couple was not truely aware of the consequences of having a kid. Some liberals jumped in, got the ruling overturned thus setting judical precedent for future cases.

18. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    My mom let me drive around in a parking lot when I was 13. But, it was an empty parking lot. A building was under construction and noone was working at the times that I was driving. It was not an occupied apartment complex. It was not an area that had been blocked off for children to play. There was not a toddler running around just outside the car. Even given all the differences, it was still illegal and if we got caught, she would have been in deep poop. Heh, divorcing parents will do anything to win you over!