Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hi,

I've gotten a few complaints about the site or forums loading slowly. But I haven't been able to pinpoint the reasons.

1. Some people have said cdn.macrumors.com is loading slowly for them.

If that's true, can you load this: http://debug.netdna-cdn.com/ and send the contents to me in an email: arn@normalkid.com

2. If you don't know what's holding up the website. In Safari, you can open Window -> Activity. And it should show you which files are taking a long time to load. If it's a cdn.macrumors.com file, see #1.

3. If you aren't sure, please contact me on AIM/iChat: "chaosmint" and I can walk you through.

thanks
arn

Last edited:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Hi,

I've gotten a few complaints about the site or forums loading slowly. But I haven't been able to pinpoint the reasons.

1. Some people have said cdn.macrumors.com is loading slowly for them.

If that's true, can you load this: http://debug.netdna-cdn.com/ and send the contents to me in an email: arn@normalkid.com

2. If you don't know what's holding up the website. In Safari, you can open Window -> Activity. And it should show you which files are taking a long time to load. If it's a cdn.macrumors.com file, see #1.

3. If you aren't sure, please contact me on AIM/iChat: "chaosmint" and I can walk you through.

thanks
arn

cdn.macrumors.com for me also. Just an annoying freeze for about 5 seconds before the page loads. Block it with Ad-Block plus and the page loads as expected, but of course you lose posting functionality (because it's not an ad link)

Also: "You are hitting the NetDNA New York Datacenter"

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
cdn.macrumors.com for me also. Just an annoying freeze for about 5 seconds before the page loads. Block it with Ad-Block plus and the page loads as expected, but of course you lose posting functionality (because it's not an ad link)

Also: "You are hitting the NetDNA New York Datacenter"

we've been using cdn.macrumors.com for a number of months. Do you remember how recent a problem this has been?

I have a support ticket open with my CDN provider to look into it.

thanks
arn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Recently, I have had that problem/freezing experience a number of times, too, as the MR loads slowly; quite frequently, after MR loads the forums sections freezes completely and won't load. Usually, I go back into Safari and try again, when it tends to load successfully.

Cheers

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Hi Arn. Oh the irony that this very thread was slow to load due to the cdn.macrumors.com problem. I get "You are hitting the NetDNA Amsterdam Datacenter" when clicking on your link.

It's now 16:08 BST, if that makes any difference. I've noticed it for the past week or two.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Recently, I have had that problem/freezing experience a number of times, too, as the MR loads slowly; quite frequently, after MR loads the forums sections freezes completely and won't load. Usually, I go back into Safari and try again, when it tends to load successfully.

Cheers

It just now occurs to me that this has been happening to me in Chrome (14.0.835.35 beta, which I see needs to be updated). Pages on MR I try to access by clicking on the link in subscription email notifications have sometimes tried over and over to load and finally froze with no content. I've been assuming it was a network or browser issue, but now that I see this thread I wonder if it's connected to the problem described here.

It hasn't happened the last couple days, but was a problem regularly last week.

When I click on the link you give above, arn, I get:

You are hitting the NetDNA Amsterdam Datacenter

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I've been having some cdn problems as well. Its been a bit better today than yesterday. The problems started sometime between WWDC2011 and July 20th.

I'm hitting the Virgina datacentre as per your debug link.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Here's a screenshot that I took while waiting for my Subscriptions page to load.

Screen shot 2011-08-16 at 1.17.54 PM.png

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It just now occurs to me that this has been happening to me in Chrome (14.0.835.35 beta, which I see needs to be updated). Pages on MR I try to access by clicking on the link in subscription email notifications have sometimes tried over and over to load and finally froze with no content. I've been assuming it was a network or browser issue, but now that I see this thread I wonder if it's connected to the problem described here.

It hasn't happened the last couple days, but was a problem regularly last week.

When I click on the link you give above, arn, I get:

You are hitting the NetDNA Amsterdam Datacenter

That's exactly what I got just now when I clicked on the link.

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
NetDNA Los Angeles Datacenter

seems to have trouble on this:
http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/clientscript/vbulletin_read_marker.js

Code:
[21:17:35.910] GET http://cdn.macrumors.com/images-new/bg.png [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 2869ms]
[21:17:31.968] GET http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/clientscript/vbulletin_read_marker.js?v=386 [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 3234ms]

Code:
[21:21:52.009] GET http://cdn.macrumors.com/images-new/logo.png [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 254ms]
[21:21:29.751] GET http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/clientscript/vbulletin_read_marker.js?v=386 [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 21743ms]

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I get "You are hitting the NetDNA Virginia Datacenter"

cdn has been a problem for me also. last night around this time, the site would take about a minute to load. So far in the past couple of minutes, the site has been going quickly. It is an on off issue for me.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I got the slow-loading thing again now. This time it wasn't nearly as bad. It hung on cdn.macrumors.com for about 6 seconds.

I get New York from that link.

It's been good lately, no more uber-long waiting times, from my initial complaint.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. See the attached screenshots. Hopefully that helps you, Arn.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-17 at 3.25.31 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-17 at 3.25.31 PM.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Screen shot 2011-08-17 at 3.26.09 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-17 at 3.26.09 PM.png
    151 KB · Views: 140
  • Screen shot 2011-08-17 at 3.26.24 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-17 at 3.26.24 PM.png
    153.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Our CDN says the problem should be fixed.

let me know

arn

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I had this problem for months at the office where the cdn... would take a bit to load. I'd click on the latest post in a thread and starting reading, scrolling and after a few posts down the cdn... would finish loading and the page would jump back to the first post I started at. It was very annoying.

Again this was at the office on Win7, Firefox. At home on my Mac I rarely noticed this problem.

But now, today at the office, it seems to be working properly now. :)
I just thought it was my office ISP or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.