Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Before the update it was usually idling at 70°C (158°F) (sometimes even 75/167) running basic things like iTunes, browsers, torrents, chat, etc. After the update it's sitting nice and cool at 55°C (131°F).

This on the new 2.5GHz i5 mini. Nice!

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Before the update it was usually idling at 70°C (158°F) (sometimes even 75/167) running basic things like iTunes, browsers, torrents, chat, etc. After the update it's sitting nice and cool at 55°C (131°F).

My 2008 Aluminum MacBook Pro is running cooler since the update by about 5-6°C.

ng7apoc

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
UK
Same with my late 2007 MacBook. Idle temp just hit 40°c and fluctuates between 40°c and 43°c. Prior to installing the 10.7.1 update I had never seen it lower than 48°c in Lion. Unfortunately I don't have temps under Snow Leopard to compare with.

For greater details the fan is not simply running faster at idle it still stays at the minimum 1800rpm. It does increase as the temps increase of course but as far as I can tell it seems to increase fan speed at the same temperature/load trigger points as before, and certainly not sooner.

Even at full load things are improved, I'm in a good position to test this as I have been pushing it recently while deciding if changing the thermal paste might be useful.
When running CPUTest 0.2 to stress things temp would reach 94°c and stay there. Now it's spiked at 92°c but instead of staying there it actually goes down! to 87/88°c and spikes up again every now and then just for a few seconds though.
Don't have measure for ambient room temp but it must be similar, if not actually 1-2°c warmer today.

Not sure whats changed but being one who prefers quieter use I like it as it takes longer for fan to get to full rpms :)

Sorry for long post about MacBook in Mac Mini thread but I thought it seemed relevant given the Lion update and I do have a Mini point to follow...

I'd be very interested to hear if other new 2011 Mini users were experiencing the same, and if indeed the Fan was not spinning faster to help with these results as I'm considering purchasing one but some of the early reports of fan hitting 5000+ rpm seemingly all to often and easily were pretty off putting.

fbartram

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
Australia
After the Lion upgrade I noticed my (early 2010?) MBP running quite a lot hotter and louder even when I wasn't asking much of it. Now that you mention this, the upgrade has definitely fixed it!

jamone13

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2010
Sounds like apple adjusted the cpu speed if the fans are the same.

They could also have lowered CPU voltage. Coolbook did this on the C2D CPUs and could achieve a great savings (heat & power). They could have realized after more testing that dropping the voltage a certain amount was still safe (stability wise) for their systems. They also could have reduced idle CPU load in many ways.

My 2011 13" Air is running around 40-45C for web browsing, while I was 50-55C before the update.

tob!

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Germany

I'm experiencing exactly the same :) (almost the same temps)

I'm new to Mac and purchased a 2011 13" MBP 2 weeks ago.

Looking at the temps I nearly sent it right back to Apple!!

70° idle temp is just insane.

the strange thing is that the fan isn't really running any faster now ?!?!? very very strange

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
the strange thing is that the fan isn't really running any faster now ?!?!? very very strange
As already said it could be a decrease in the voltage. This can easily be checked with e.g. Coolbook (can't undervolt in Lion but can see the current voltage) prior and after 10.7.1

naix

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2010
In snow leopard using firefox i get around 40s and in lion i get 50s -60s. I wonder way the increase in temp for lion...

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
The MacPro had a crazy temp issue where the CPU would go up to 70(c) from a 28(c) idle, just playing MP3's. Was just bad code wasting power and generating a hell amount of heat. Did't use much CPU, just caused them to get hell hot. Issue was fixed with a patch from Apple.

volodymyrqa

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
Kyiv, Ukraine
!!11

That is why my fan is keep on working......

Before update it was not working so often...... And now i even don't know what to do to shut it up....

I'm starting to regret that ditched my mc239 which was quiet, very quiet.

sascha h-k

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
vienna / austria
in this hot summer i use smcfancontrol with 400rpm higher fan-groundspeed and have around 55°c cpu temp. (so instead 1800rpm now 2200rpm)

fans are cheaper than anything ...

mini i7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.