Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNet reports that Apple has finally contacted Carl Frega about a prototype laptop that he had put on sale earlier this month. The laptop appeared for sale on eBay where it received bids upwards of $70,000 before it was pulled at the request of Apple.

The 2007-era MacBook Pro featured a Magsafe Antenna and SIM slot that suggested it was an early prototype of a 3G-capable Apple laptop. CNet reports that Frega was contacted by Apple this afternoon to have someone pick it up.

It seems the laptop had a strange journey before ending up in Frega's hands. He originally picked up the machine off someone on Craigslist. He repaired the machine and tried selling it again on Craigslist. The new owner brought the machine to an Apple Store Genius Bar, where the machine was opened and determined to have non-standard parts. The repair invoice describes the reason they refused repair.
Opened machine to observe that nearly every internal part was 3rd party; main logic board, optical drive, display, hard drive, top case, and others. Machine number (W8707003Y53) is also not recognized as a valid number.
Proposed Resolution: Denied services; machine has been modified by unauthorized providers beyond repair."
As a result of these "3rd party" parts, Apple's store refused service. That second buyer took Frega to small claims court thinking the machine was a fake, after which Frega had to accept the machine back and refund the money. It was only after that that Frega tried to sell the laptop on eBay.

Due to the publicity surrounding the eBay sale, Apple has contacted Frega and asked to set up a time to pick up the machine. No word on when it is expected to be returned to Apple.

Article Link: Apple Genius Bar Didn't Recognize MacBook Pro 3G Prototype, Apple Now Wants it Back

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
Dude Frega should be getting good money to give it back to apple then.
:p if he isn't man i would so just keep that. to be a collectors item! :) :apple:

TheReadyPrompt

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
You don't immediately sell a prototype that falls into your hands. Wait a good decade or longer before attempting to auction or pawn it. I paid off a few credit cards selling (non-Apple) prototypes in this stealthy, calculated manner.

Patience.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I don't think I would be interested in a 3G MacBook anyway. Who wants/ needs another monthly billed data plan? We get ripped off for our smartphones as is.

xpdx

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
Finders Fee

I hope he remembers that possession is 9/10th of the law and asks for a finders fee just under what the legal fees would be for Apple to sue him for it. I'm thinking $10K would be a good price to end it quickly.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I hope he remembers that possession is 9/10th of the law and asks for a finders fee just under what the legal fees would be for Apple to sue him for it. I'm thinking $10K would be a good price to end it quickly.

Not everyone cares only about money ;)

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Will apple even pay him or just bully him and take it. if I had it and they were just going to take it I would disassemble it and photograph every piece to put on the internet.

MacsAre1

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2005
Florida
money?

This guy clearly cares about money. He had it on Craigslist and then eBay, after all! If he didn't, he would definitely be better off keeping it as a piece of little known Apple history.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Definitely the funniest part about this is that the Apple Store thought it was modified by a third party... haha, how did they not see that antenna.. or did they write it off as a 3rd party modification too?

Man, I wanna land my hands on an Apple prototype... that'd just be cool. :)

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
This guy clearly cares about money. He had it on Craigslist and then eBay, after all! If he didn't, he would definitely be better off keeping it as a piece of little known Apple history.

Like you wouldn't do the same. I worked for sony. A PS3 Test unit ended up in my hands without any liability, it just kept getting passed on until one day I asked a coworker what was wrong with that PS3 unit. He pretty much said, someone gave it to him but it didn't work, and asked me if I wanted it. I took it. What am I gonna do with it? Sell it for more than regular PS3 units sell for! The unit worked just fine, just served different purposes. This stuff happens all the time, units fall through the cracks regularly. I had nothing to do with that department, and it ended up in my hands.

Last edited:

junker

macrumors 6502
Someone previously mentioned Apple should pay $10,000 for the unit... how about paying him $70,000 for the unit??? Seeing as how Apple demanded Ebay pull/end his legitimate auction.

They can certainly afford this and he has established it's value on the open market.

This would also make for a nice first public relations move for the new CEO.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
Definitely the funniest part about this is that the Apple Store thought it was modified by a third party... haha, how did they not see that antenna.. or did they write it off as a 3rd party modification too?

I'm pretty sure most employees at the Apple Stores aren't in the know about Apple's behind-the-scenes prototype work.

filthandfury

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Anyone else think: "Apple has contacted Frega and asked to set up a time to pick up the machine. " is pretty wierd?!

Famous apple ad spoofing "1984" oh how the tables have turned...

Spencie

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
The Mothership
Someone previously mentioned Apple should pay $10,000 for the unit... how about paying him $70,000 for the unit??? Seeing as how Apple demanded Ebay pull/end his legitimate auction.

They can certainly afford this and he has established it's value on the open market.

This would also make for a nice first public relations move for the new CEO.

Agreed.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Clearly more Apple retail employees should read MacRumors. I know I'd spot Apple's prototype-red logic board.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
This article raises more questions than it answers, the obvious one being if Apple intend to buy it from him, or whether they have some legal claim to it, and expect him to just hand it over.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Will apple even pay him or just bully him and take it. if I had it and they were just going to take it I would disassemble it and photograph every piece to put on the internet.

I doubt Apple would pay him for it, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they kindly provided him with a replacement MacBook Pro.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
It isn't really worth a whole lot of analysis.

They probably some sort of arrangement in place and life will continue.

briansolomon

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
For the people that don't care about this story:

I do. It's been neat to follow this one. I thought this machine was old enough to not warrant apple taking it back. It's not everyday a prototype 3G MacBook Pro appears. It's not like WWDC is this week. What else are we going to read about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.