Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
It's September on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, They are all here:
Designer Dale's Google Docs

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from here when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

Mine to start off...

Adventures of the Cuttlefish. Pt 1/3: "Washed Up on a Stormy Night"

k20d9059.jpg

Last edited:

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Placing the car in the photo gives us a perspective on the size of the trees (classic). I went through there last Oct and it was spectacular.

I've been through there a few times and always try to get something in the shot for perspective. I think it has always been my vehicle or me.

This time I did time lapses driving through the forest. That has an interesting effect. Used my iPod touch with my own software.

When ever I drive up or down California, I consider shifting my drive through there because of how spectacular it is. :)

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
^^Nice way to make good use of a sunset and well composed.

It was an interesting experiment. I was out with a friend in Panama City Beach, FL when I noticed it was going to be a spectacular sunset. She stayed at the bar while I ran to the water. I setup the tripod and framed the shot. The end result is a three frame HDR so I had to hold still through them all. I just moved my left arm enough to aim the remote at the camera. The camera was setup to do the bracketing with a 2 second shutter delay. That allowed me to keep the hand with the remote out of the picture on each exposure.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
The tools of a Troller

Spoon storage aboard the Alyson of Sitka, in the Craig Harbor.
Taken on a Trip to Prince of Wales, during a break in the weather. last week.

NIKON D80
Lens: 28.0-300.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
Focal Length: 150mm (35mm equivalent: 225mm)
Focus Distance: 3.98m
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure Time: 0.013 s (1/80)
ISO equiv: 125
Metering Mode: Matrix

PWNkake

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
Well, here goes...

Been lurking for years. Would love some feedback...

fall_aproaches.jpg

Canon 7D, 24-70L, 400 ISO.

Go easy on me. Ha!

Last edited:

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.

Colors%20of%20fall%202-3875.jpg

Go easy on me. Ha!

Post an appropriate size for the thread. That is a full size image. Another thread has some suggestions. I like to make mine either 1000 wide or 800 high depending shape.

EDIT: The smaller size displayed in my response shows an interesting picture. :)

PWNkake

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
[url=http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6071/6095273371_8e27323406_b.jpg]Image[/URL]

NIKON D80
Lens: 28.0-300.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
Focal Length: 150mm (35mm equivalent: 225mm)
Focus Distance: 3.98m
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure Time: 0.013 s (1/80)
ISO equiv: 125
Metering Mode: Matrix

REALLY love the colors here. Great job!

----------

Post an appropriate size for the thread. That is a full size image. Another thread has some suggestions. I like to make mine either 1000 wide or 800 high depending shape.

Sorry about that. Thought I linked to the low res.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

It was an interesting experiment. I was out with a friend in Panama City Beach, FL when I noticed it was going to be a spectacular sunset. She stayed at the bar while I ran to the water. I setup the tripod and framed the shot. The end result is a three frame HDR so I had to hold still through them all. I just moved my left arm enough to aim the remote at the camera. The camera was setup to do the bracketing with a 2 second shutter delay. That allowed me to keep the hand with the remote out of the picture on each exposure.

Thanks for the explanation. I wouldn't have guessed that it's an HDR. It's nice and subtle.

Yes, very colorful and well seen. I might consider a crop at top, bottom, and right to trim out the less interesting areas and get us in closer to the row of spoons(?) and top blue glove. Nice one.

fall_aproaches.jpg

Go easy on me. Ha!

Lovely colors, light, and combination of textures. I think I'd like to see more of where the water curves around the top--perhaps that would make the point jutting out more of a focal point. The colors in that rock are just wonderful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.