Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

SprintFeed reports that Sprint will be limiting its mobile hotspot plans to 5GB of data as of October 2nd -- only days ahead of the rumored iPhone 4S/5 launch.

Bloomberg had reported that Sprint would finally be getting the next generation iPhone when it launches in October. Sprint is expected to provide unlimited data plans for the new iPhone and will be the only U.S. provider to offer such a plan. Both AT&T and Verizon originally offered the iPhone with unlimited mobile data, but later transitioned to tiered plans of limited data.

Sprint will still offer "unlimited" for those using data on-device, but for those who purchase the additional $29.99/mo hotspot plans will be limited to 5GB of data a month. Mobile Hotspot plans allow users to tether their iPhone to their laptops and share their mobile internet connection. This is presumably to prevent individuals from consuming large amounts of data through their laptops. Sprint's on-device mobile plan appears as if it will remain unlimited for the time being.

Article Link: Sprint to Cap Mobile Hotspot Data to 5GB Ahead of iPhone Launch

azurebat

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2010
Texas
Yep, and just like AT&T and Verizon the only reason they are allowing Unlimited is to gain customers and this will not last just like on AT&T and Vercrapzon because data is not free and has limits. You make it sound as if Sprint is doing this amazing thing.

If they get the iPhone x. If the iPhone x is released in October. If, if, if , if...

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Guess Sprint is getting the iPhone after all. Looks like we have a new worst carrier choice for the iPhone.

The cap is only for the tethered bit, the phone itself still has unlimited data. This is understandable, you don't want people streaming netflix through their Apple TV using the iPhone as a wifi spot, no?

That said, Sprint still has unlimited 'mobile hotspot' devices available, with a plan at $35 per month, I guess it makes sense to take advantage of those before they get capped too.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Why would I ever use Sprint? their network is even slower than Verizon's. Two friends on Sprint barely pull 800 Kb/s...

Tallest Skil is that you? That said I will take Sprint's slower 3G over Verizon's caps/higher pricing any day of the week. Especially since I'm connected to WIFI most of the time.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Yep, and just like AT&T and Verizon the only reason they are allowing Unlimited is to gain customers and this will not last just like on AT&T and Vercrapzon because data is not free and has limits. You make it sound as if Sprint is doing this amazing thing.

If they get the iPhone x. If the iPhone x is released in October. If, if, if , if...

That's not the only reason. If they change my plan I can end my contract without any early termination fee. ;)

Mackblack

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mywi and Handylight! Problem solved!

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Watch out for the overage fee!
$0.05 per MB = $50 per GB :eek:

Thats cheap compared to Canadian Telcos, like the legalized criminals known as Rogers.

My account was showing 500mb left. I used 40mb. The next day I got a text I had gone over (untrue). A few hours later, i got a nice text message from Rogers with a $500 dollar overage charge.

$500 for 1gb from Rogers in Canada.

Come up north, see how you like our rates.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I'm far from shocked. This was to be expected. And it goes without saying that unlimited data on phones will also come to an end in the not-too-distant future. It's the same luring game Verizon played on its customers.

tweaks

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2008
Has anybody ever attempted to stream Netflix with Sprint......OH OH!! I DID!!

It sucks balls.......

You can have your Sprint with unlimited data on your mobile device..... Its like says your dial up modem has UNLIMITED DATA... Yipeee!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
See, the iPhone is great for the consumer. Every wireless carrier will eliminate unlimited data plans. I think it's great!!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Why would I ever use Sprint? their network is even slower than Verizon's. Two friends on Sprint barely pull 800 Kb/s...

Depends on where you are.
Remember network speed can very wildly by cities. My understanding comparing sprint 3G and Verizon 3G the speeds are about the same. Sprint network really depends on where you live. For me sprint could work great and I live in an area sprint would be great in. Now I am still on AT&T and like AT&T just fine.

That's not the only reason. If they change my plan I can end my contract without any early termination fee. ;)

Chances are this change would not kick in the the change. You could try but chances are good their lawyers made sure this would not cause a real contract change.

All in all this is still better than AT&T and Verizon. They are only limiting tethering data but still granting unlimited phone data. I would not be surpised if this is because a lot of people were killing off the land line internet and tethering threw their phone fall all their data which is a huge amount of data when it is all said and done.

Phone tethering should be when you are on the go and not really meant to replace your home internet or wifi.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Has anybody ever attempted to stream Netflix with Sprint......OH OH!! I DID!!

It sucks balls.......

You can have your Sprint with unlimited data on your mobile device..... Its like says your dial up modem has UNLIMITED DATA... Yipeee!

Not that I encourage data caps, because its a false premise for telcos to do it, but...

you could give me free date, a free phone and a free subscription to netflix and i still wouldnt watch content on an effing 3" screen. what a joke. This guy said it best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
my gf is lucky to get 300 - 500k with her sprint service... and the so called "4G" is so spotty that it isn't worth using.

whereas im rocking 3000-6000 on my $7 t-mobile t-zones internet using my 'hackendroid' HD2

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The cap is only for the tethered bit, the phone itself still has unlimited data. This is understandable, you don't want people streaming netflix through their Apple TV using the iPhone as a wifi spot, no

Does it really cost Sprint anything even close to $30 to deliver 5Gb of data?

This is just like McDonald's charging $1.29 for a paper cup with soda inside. It cost them about $5 cents but that is how they are able to sell Burgers for $2. Same here I think They sell you $0.50 worth of data transfer to $30 so that they can offer cell phones for dirt cheap or free.

I'd like it much more if they simply added a even 50% markup to everything. But, no. Stupid consumers like paying 1000X more for something and getting other at below cost.

When ever we don't like prices or plans we have only the customer to blame, they are the ones saying "looks good to me" can paying for it. It people did not want it they could not sell it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.