Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tech_talk_2011.jpg

Apple today announced plans for its iOS 5 Tech Talk World Tour 2011, offering members of the iOS developer program the chance to learn from Apple experts on the platform. The tour will reach nine cities on four continents and is free for registered iOS developers, although space is limited with priority given to developers with apps already in the App Store.
We want to help iOS developers take their apps to the next level using the exciting new technologies in iOS 5. Our team of experts will visit nine cities around the world, covering advanced coding and design techniques that you can take advantage of in your apps. Since Tech Talks are highly technical, it's important that you have experience programming with the iOS SDK and have an app actively in development or on the App Store.
The tour schedule includes:

- November 2nd: Berlin
- November 7th: London
- November 9th: Rome

- December 5th: Beijing
- December 8th: Seoul

- January 9th: Sao Paolo
- January 13th: New York City
- January 18th: Seattle
- January 23rd: Austin

The all-day events kick off with a morning session devoted to an overview of iOS 5, interface design, and iCloud storage integration. The afternoon session offers a series of 50-minute seminars, with three different meeting rooms operating simultaneously through five blocks of time. Consequently, developers will need to select one of the three different sessions offered in each time slot to attend.

Article Link: Apple Plans 'Tech Talk World Tour' for iOS 5 Developers

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Sounds like a very cool idea :) Especially since WWDC is sold out year after year, this may give iPhone developers another place to gather to learn and meet others.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
I suppose these cities were selected based on where the largest numbers of developers are?

What about California?
I don't think California qualifies, because it's not a city and it's also where Apple HQ is located.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
I suppose these cities were selected based on where the largest numbers of developers are?

I don't think California qualifies, because it's not a city and it's also where Apple HQ is located.

Yeah, I meant there isn't one in any city in California

Even if it's Apple HQ and WWDC take place in California... That doesn't mean they should skip it, WWDC is so expensive and this is so free. Siri understands

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
The icons look beautiful.

The icons look indeed beautiful but I have to notice the luck of appropriate shading on the back of them. They lack the 3dimensionality of the icons on the real iPhone. They have a tiny shadow making them looking glued on the glass background and be flat inconsistently of their top shade.. God I have to admit that I quite find regularly many design flaws on Apple's newest products.. Am I getting old or there is something wrong with their design decisions ?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
What about California?

Also surprised to not see a Californian city.

I went to this a few years ago in Toronto. The sessions were good for being free, plus free food was a nice perk :)

Last edited:

ppilone

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I submitted my request for the New York tech talk. Anxious to hear back - wonder how long it'll take to find out if one is accepted or not.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I JUst Wish I Had The Time

To go to London in November, I've been dabbling with developing some music apps, but wouldn't have the nerve or the skill to let them loose.

I will be in Berlin...Recording...Work is after all work.

Last edited:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Why is it SO difficult to spell a major Western city's name correctly? If in doubt, just check Wikipedia, for mother's sake!

THE NAME OF THE BIGGEST CITY IN BRAZIL IS SÃO PAULO with a tilde over the first "A" and "U", NOT San Pablo (Brazil doesn't speak Spanish) nor San Paolo (Brazil doesn't speak Italian).

Apple got it right, so why can't others?

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
The icons look beautiful.

The icons look indeed beautiful but I have to notice the luck of appropriate shading on the back of them. They lack the 3dimensionality of the icons on the real iPhone. They have a tiny shadow making them looking glued on the glass background and be flat inconsistently of their top shade.. God I have to admit that I quite find regularly many design flaws on Apple's newest products.. Am I getting old or there is something wrong with their design decisions ?

I soo wanted to make a comment about their icon/graphic but didn't want to come across as an Apple-obsessed looney. Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way just by looking at something so simple (and pretty)!

Actually, just looking at that makes me wanna go walk around the countries in Epcot. :D

Last edited:

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
What about California?

Haha the biggest developer conference of them all is in San Francisco every year :rolleyes: remember? :)

But seriously, this is a good idea. The Mac/iOS platform is getting bigger every year. WWDC sells out in hours. What a great way to encourage development around the world; especially as Apple is looking to Asia and other places for growth.

I hope they do this every year! :cool:

brookshanes

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Midwest
Biggest Spelling Freakout Ever

Why is it SO difficult to spell a major Western city's name correctly? If in doubt, just check Wikipedia, for mother's sake!

THE NAME OF THE BIGGEST CITY IN BRAZIL IS SÃO PAULO with a tilde over the first "A" and "U", NOT San Pablo (Brazil doesn't speak Spanish) nor San Paolo (Brazil doesn't speak Italian).

Apple got it right, so why can't others?

Is it all capital letters, too?

ishabazz

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Looks like it's a wrap in the US

Looks like all the US venues are Full now. I wonder how quickly WWDC will sell out this year

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
i respond the second I got the email from Apple, for Seattle, I responded before it was full, but i guess am not lucky, did not get a confirmation email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.