Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

steve_jobs_book_cover-150x227.jpg

Reuters reports that Walter Isaacson's just-released authorized biography of Steve Jobs is poised to become Amazon's top-selling book of the entire year, highlighting the extraordinary interest in the private Apple co-founder's life following his passing early this month.
The book is the best-selling book on Amazon.com and is also listed as the top-selling electronic book on the company's Kindle eBook store.

"The way things are trending, it could very likely be our top-selling book of the year," Amazon spokeswoman Brittany Turner said in a statement.
Amazon declined to comment on the split between digital and physical versions of the book, although one analyst suggests that digital sales of best sellers have typically been coming at 50-70% of total sales, suggesting that the digital version of Steve Jobs is likely to outsell the print version for at least the next six months.

Steve Jobs is already ranked #13 on Amazon's list of best sellers for the year on the strength of pre-orders. The book was already highly anticipated before Jobs' death, but immediately shot to the top of Amazon's charts with a sales increase of as much as 40,000% following his October 5th passing.

Article Link: 'Steve Jobs' Poised to Become Amazon's Top-Selling Book for 2011

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
It is a great book btw (I am reading on the Kindle - 20% done). If anyone was still undecided - definitely worth reading.

Steve continues to sell :)

[Edit] Woz comes out as the real hero in the book more than once though. It is unbelievable how much importance Woz's Dad placed on Engineering and how much Woz was into giving away stuff to people for free, helping others etc. Respect.

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Of course. Most would agree that Steve Jobs changed the face of technology in the last few decades and the 800+ page story might be a little interesting. ;)

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
ive got it on my iphone, but ill also purchase a hardcover, just to have.

WalkingSnake

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
How is it too high?

it costs $16.99 the hard cover in sores is $34.00

But I can buy a physical copy for less than $2 more than the Kindle version on Amazon. I agree there should be a little more of a difference. But I'll still willingly pay $17.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I wished I hadn't bought this book now, I know this is gonna get minus votes in the hundreds. But I really respected Steve, but after seeing what he thought about the other people in the tech world and rival companies, he really seemed to be an arrogant, lying, self-loving man.

Im sorry but thats just how I feel about him now.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
It is a great book btw (I am reading on the Kindle - 20% done). If anyone was still undecided - definitely worth reading.

Steve continues to sell :)

At the very least, download the sample from iBooks. I read about 30% before forcing myself to put it down and go to sleep ... definitely buying the full book.:)

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
As expected

Dead. Yet still Number 1!
Hope his soul finds rest and his family as much peace as possible.

----------

Yes. He was. It didn't take the book to show that since there was plenty of old footage and evidence to. However, it's precisely why he was as good at what he did.
One mans arrogance is another mans passion.

I wished I hadn't bought this book now, I know this is gonna get minus votes in the hundreds. But I really respected Steve, but after seeing what he thought about the other people in the tech world and rival companies, he really seemed to be an arrogant, lying, self-loving man.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008

He might have been all of those things, but I'm glad that he was open and honest enough to allow this book to be written. If nothing else, it shows that he wasn't always arrogant, lying, and self-loving. He was also in many ways a good person, albeit fallible.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Too bad the ebook isn't in a form of an application with interactive timeline linking the stories, photos, video clips, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if we something like that appearing over time. It would likely sell quite well.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Purchased it both ways...

I bought both versions (Digital and hardcover). I wish there was a package deal where you buy the hardcover and get the digital for $5 or $10 more. I just wanted a nice hardcover book for the house and the digital copy so I can always have it on me for a good read whenever I need to.

I received the Kindle version last night, but haven't gotten the chance to read it yet. Tonight I hope to get 10% through it at least.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'm waiting till next year before I buy it, as there will be a thinner version out by then!

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
My hardback was dispatched by Amazon today at 4:01pm and is currently in Swansea with the courier ... get your backside up to Glasgow pronto!

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Hardcover is 30% or more off everywhere I've seen so far, Amazon, Target, B&N.

I picked up today at B&N where no one knew it was even released yet, though the store was packed with signs promoting it. I got the first copy and was handed it right from the still sealed "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL OCTOBER 24" boxes.

Incindium

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2009
So is there a lot of photographs in this book and how well did they come across in the Kindle version? I definitely want this book but I'm still debating whether I want a hardcover or the Kindle edition.

Clackamas

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
So is there a lot of photographs in this book and how well did they come across in the Kindle version? I definitely want this book but I'm still debating whether I want a hardcover or the Kindle edition.

I have the Kobo Touch and the photographs have nice grey scale resolution.

Anyway, the book would be complete with Steve Jobs autograph...

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I wished I hadn't bought this book now, I know this is gonna get minus votes in the hundreds. But I really respected Steve, but after seeing what he thought about the other people in the tech world and rival companies,

The TRUTH can be downright painful. Steve told it like it is, and as usual, the man was right. Most of Apple's rivals, to this very day, are slow, flat-footed, unimaginative, and sometimes shockingly so in the face of obvious change.

I don't feel sorry that Jobs slagged on a bunch of nitwits and boring, generic box-makers. It is ridiculously obvious that they were holding consumer tech back, and would still be doing it were it not for Apple.

Screw em. Half of them are just there as OEM-shells, ready to churn out the next plastic button-laden junk-ware to run software that is very nearly as bad.

At least Jobs actually gave a damn about what he was doing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.