Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is definitely building a television set, according to Nick Bilton of the New York Times. The TV, which will include extensive voice control courtesy of Siri, could be announced as soon as late 2012 with a consumer release in 2013. Bilton quotes anonymous sources saying that an Apple television is a "guaranteed product for Apple" because "Steve thinks the industry is totally broken", which is echoed by passages in Steve Jobs' biography.

bits-applesiri-blog480.jpg
Bilton says the project has been in the works for years, perhaps as far back as 2007 (the year the iPhone launched and the company launched the Apple TV set-top box. As far as controlling the new set:
It's the stuff of science fiction. You sit on your couch and rather than fumble with several remotes or use hand gestures, you simply talk: "Put on the last episode of Gossip Girl." "Play the local news headlines." "Play some Coldplay music videos." Siri does the rest.

Of course this experience goes beyond just playing TV shows or the local news. As the line between television programming and Web content continues to erode, a Siri-powered television would become more necessary. You aren't going to want to flip through file folders or baskets of content, checking off what you want. Telling Siri to "play videos of cute cats falling asleep" would return an endless YouTube stream of adorable napping fur balls.
Bilton firmly believes the television is coming, but says the company "still has quite a bit of work to do on the project", citing the physical design of the TV in particular. He also cites the expense of the display itself, though those prices are falling rapidly.

In a bid to set aside the speculation about if an Apple television is in the works, the piece finishes simply, "it is coming though. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when."

Apple television mockup courtesy Nick Bilton/New York Times

Article Link: Apple Looking to Launch Siri-Enabled Television Set by 2013

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Hope they add it user recognition. It would suck to have my child interrupt my channel changing experience...

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I'm 50/50, it'd prob be a grea TV.....but i bet :apple: would charge through the roof for it. Plus, I bet they'll do a new one every year cycle and really people can't by new TV's every year. Plus some flat screens can be had at some great prices! I'm mixed on this....

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I imagine an edge to edge screen, apple logo glows on bottom when off. All flat glass screen, no dust traps.

I can't imagine what the control will look like though, if there even is one. Obviously ipad/iphone/itouch will work, but they need to give a standard remote as well... unless that would be the itouch.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Sooooo it's "definitely" coming because...he believes it will? OK then. All I see happening is more AAPL stock crashes every time this mythical Apple television fails to make an appearance at Apple events. :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like this guy got high, had a long "far out" conversation with Siri, and got a little carried away with the idea.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Sounds cool, but I'm afraid of what would happen if a family tries to watch TV and it goes
"Play Sesame Street!"
"No, let's watch Dancing with the Stars!"
"I want to watch the Broncos game!"

How will it know which person to listen too? Also, how will it know to not listen to the dialog on the TV shows/music, etc.?

jimmypopjr

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Philly
That makes a lot of sense, but I hope that's not what Steve feels 'cracked' the riddle of an Apple TV. What appeals to me, as someone who ditched cable a while back, is the thought of subscribing to a TV show instead of a channel. Turning on the TV and scrolling through only what I want to watch, commercial free. iTunes and AppleTV do this, but leaving a lot to be desired. I think Apple is one of the few companies who can come into a frustrating market and really fix it for the better.

That said, I hope an Apple TV set isn't years behind the tech curve, since the home theater market wouldn't be as quick to jump on an overpriced, under-spec'ed TV set like other markets Apple is in. I say this as an Apple lover, of course.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Interesting how strong these rumours are becoming...

siri with a TV really would be pretty great.

But I wonder what other innovative features this tv might have? I've always been skeptical of an Apple television, but who knows what the future might hold?

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Just opened my "AppleTV" savings account. I've got a little over a year to save up. Anybody want to guess sizes and prices? I say 42 inch for 1499 :D

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Sounds cool, but I'm afraid of what would happen if a family tries to watch TV and it goes
"Play Sesame Street!"
"No, let's watch Dancing with the Stars!"
"I want to watch the Broncos game!"

How will it know which person to listen too? Also, how will it know to not listen to the dialog on the TV shows/music, etc.?

The first part of your concern is no different than people fighting over the remote. i.e., personal problem and not one that any technology will solve. But even that can be minimized by requiring a button being pressed on the remote before issuing a command.

Noise canceling will likely take care of whats coming from the tv itself. Just like people don't hear themselves when you switch your iPhone to speakerphone.

jimmypopjr

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Philly
Imagine using your ipad as a remote with gestures instead of buttons? Swipe right to move channel forward, back to go backwards. Swipe upward for a favorites list, etc.

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
I don't really get what advantage it would be to build this into a TV set instead of making it a set-top box. Then people could choose the TV with the picture they like best instead of relying on Apple's choice.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I think this would be totally stupid.

Edit for the haters: Who wants to talk to their tv? There would be some cool things about an Apple TV: using an iOS device as a remote and getting your iTunes content wirelessly. But how many people actually rely on iTunes to watch their shows (and no, MacRumors is not a representative sample).

You really think Siri would be able to "Record Parks and Recreation at 8:30 on NBC"? And also FYI, people with a 4S will tell you that using Siri will save you a maximum of a few seconds. It's not worth it.

Knowing Apple, this will be expensive. What is the incentive for people to buy? People like me don't' mind replacing our iPhone every year, but nobody is going to replace their tv like that. People keep TVs for a long time.

And to the idiots: Where in this post did I hate on any Apple product? Check my signature and see that I am an Apple fan. Check my posts and join date, I'm not some troll. SORRY I WENT AGAINST THE ALLMIGHT APPLE GUYS. I love my iPhone and MBP, but Apple is not perfect, regardless of what you fanboys want to think.

Last edited:

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
I think this would be totally stupid.

Good thing Apple couldn't care less what you think. I'd wager you've had the same reaction to every product they're released in the last 10 years. This makes perfect utter sense.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Just opened my "AppleTV" savings account. I've got a little over a year to save up. Anybody want to guess sizes and prices? I say 42 inch for 1499 :D

Wow, you live you life based on rumors? Just raid all the money still in the Verizon iPhone account. That account must have been sitting a while gaining principal and interest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.