Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

6300722627_b9eb2ca6aa_o.jpg

Apple has closed New York City's first Apple Store, SoHo, at 103 Prince Street for renovations, and opened a temporary store nearby at 72 Greene Street. The store, while "temporary", has the same look-and-feel of an Apple Store, with Covent Garden-style exposed brick and HVAC.

These pictures, published by Racked, show the inside of the store which is very busy, typical for an Apple Store. Racked has several more pictures of the store as well.
Beyond the cast iron portal, the crowd was thick, huddled around signature blond tables showing Apple's array of electronic goodies. Thoughts of chewy candy were erased, replaced by a deep desire for things digital. The look of this new emporium, where Apple fiends can get their jones on while the main store on Prince Street is remade, is raw and rustic. Imagine a very, very clean warehouse with lots of friendly spirits decked out in identical blue shirts.
6300722125_cd953b90c2_o.jpg

Apple hasn't specified how long the SoHo store will remain closed, but with a full-featured Genius Bar and plenty of products on display, the temporary store looks capable of taking care of Apple's customers.

Article Link: Temporary SoHo Retail Store Showcases Rustic Look

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Looks great! I hope Apple open more unique stores and less cookie cutter mall boxes. The Covent Garden store is wonderful, and even as a temporary store this looks great!

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I sure do like exposed brick interiors.....the Covent Garden store's great.

PantalonesSucia

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
I've been in twice so far, once early in the am for a genius bar appt and yesterday about mid-afternoon. Yesterday is was PACKED. People could hardly move downstairs it was so busy. I think it's probably like that everyday though.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I like those bricked walls. Different textures everywhere on the wall. Much better compared with the boaring white paper walls in my life.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
This the new look Apple is going for? Maybe this "temporary" relocation is just a test to see how customers feel about the new atmosphere?

Thats what I was thinking. Possible store redesign with the president of retail operations out.
The current design is getting a little stale. How long has it been? 10 years without a major overhaul?

eyhk

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
...with lots of friendly spirits decked out in identical blue shirts

I don't know where he got this though. In the first pic, there are maybe two blues visible within the huge crowd and only one in the second pic, which seems pretty consistent to what I experience at an Apple Store. They are all usually busy talking to somebody wondering which Mac to buy, while I walk around in despair trying desperately to get eye contact with one of them to let me purchase my stupid iPhone case and get the hell out of there. Don't get me wrong, I love their products and their store and I go visit every time I pass by, but FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS WELL DESIGNED, just give me a frickin place to stand in line so I can stop all this guesswork and rude interrupting.

GenesisJLS

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
It's funny that Apple's 'temporary store' looks more elegant than 90% of other retail stores

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
The pics in the Covent garden link ... there seems to be a case of marginal sexual harassment in the one of the girl running forward...

johnskies

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
Seen this...

The Pasadena, CA temporary store looks a lot like this but a lot smaller. Gives this erie feeling of being pancaked by the walls.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Wait...busy? Typical for an Apple store? Ah..I don't know about that. Been at a few stores that weren't that busy. Don't think busy is typical.

Certainly not the case in Apple's 9 stores in NYC and Long Island.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
The pics in the Covent garden link ... there seems to be a case of marginal sexual harassment in the one of the girl running forward...

not sure how old you are, my mom wouldn't know either, but if you ever high five or hand slap, you don't start with your hand close to your body, you stick it out there and then snap it into the other person's hand. by the time she gets to him, the slap is done.

on the other hand, maybe this was a jk and i fell for it,,,or maybe a post from the picture police. who knows?

Macopotamus

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I like the Apple flag/banner outside, I wonder if anything similar is sold at the Apple Corporate store in Cupertino.

whitehill76

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Glasgow
The Apple store in Glasgow is still my favourite (lucky for me!), all the walls are exposed blonde sandstone. The window ledges on the old building are so deep that they make great seats - i remember seeing an old grey haired lady with her walking stick sitting there once on her white macbook....cool!

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
Doesn't look much like a temporary store - I wonder if they'll keep it once the "main" store's revamp is complete?!

I'm surprised there haven't been many (any?) stores copying Apple's retail style. And I mean in other retail areas like clothing, furniture or food. Fake Chinese Apple stores don't count! ;)

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
Wait...busy? Typical for an Apple store? Ah..I don't know about that. Been at a few stores that weren't that busy. Don't think busy is typical.

doesn't Apple have the highest $$/sf of any retail anywhere? Hard to do that if not busy. The three I frequent in the Bay Area are always packed

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
I've been in twice so far, once early in the am for a genius bar appt and yesterday about mid-afternoon. Yesterday is was PACKED. People could hardly move downstairs it was so busy. I think it's probably like that everyday though.

Apple stores being busy isn't a sign of people buying things at all. It's a sign they have some time to kill and want to play with toys on their lunch break.

I see it in every Apple store I've been in. I've done it too. That's why the ratio of people entering a store is higher than the people leaving with Apple bags.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.