Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Very much a given to go to the next iPhone since ipad got the upgrade today

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Not neccesarily. The 128 iPad is aimed at professionals moreso.

Is a chance though.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
1) An iPad is about three times bigger than an iPhone. You can fit more junk in there. Thus, the iPad update means nothing.

2) This was an extra model introduced at $100 more. Apple already did that with a 64GB iPhone. It's hard enough to think about $399 for an iPhone. It's even harder to think about $499.

Whatever is $399, I think I'll get it when my upgrade comes. I miss the 64GB of storage I had on my iPad 2, but I can get by with it on my iPad. Since I like to cram songs and photos on my iPhone, a 16GB 4S is just painful. The iPhone 5S can't arrive fast enough.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
OK OP. Whatever you say, whatever you say. :rolleyes: If that is what Apple comes out with, it's headed in the wrong direction. Very wrong direction.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
1) An iPad is about three times bigger than an iPhone. You can fit more junk in there. Thus, the iPad update means nothing.

2) This was an extra model introduced at $100 more. Apple already did that with a 64GB iPhone. It's hard enough to think about $399 for an iPhone. It's even harder to think about $499.

Whatever is $399, I think I'll get it when my upgrade comes. I miss the 64GB of storage I had on my iPad 2, but I can get by with it on my iPad. Since I like to cram songs and photos on my iPhone, a 16GB 4S is just painful. The iPhone 5S can't arrive fast enough.

1. Physical size really doesn't matter. Why is the ipad and iPhone offering the same 64gb?

2. I feel like they will use same price 199/32, 299/64, 399/128 and just bump the spec

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
If that was the case what stopped them from releasing a 128GB iPhone 5 along with the iPad? May happen but wouldnt count on it

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
They always do a spec bump on the size for the S series

3GS- 8, 16, 32
4- 8,16, 32
4S- 16, 32, 64
5- 16, 32, 64
5S- 32, 64, 128
6- 32, 64, 128

----------

If that was the case what stopped them from releasing a 128GB iPhone 5 along with the iPad? May happen but wouldnt count on it

Ipad didn't have 128 until today coming feb. 5th

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Not neccesarily. The 128 iPad is aimed at professionals moreso.

Is a chance though.

Big chance... I agree with the ipad being geared towards high level use

I wouldn't say a given at all.
Would be nice for those that are interested in that much storage on their phone but size and price are some faced limitations on that idea.

I hope they sell it at the same pricepoint so I can get the 64gb 5S for 299 lol

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
128GB is needed much more on the iPad than it is on the iPhone, as apps are bigger and people often put a lot of movies & tv shows on them. Is a 128GB iPhone really needed?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Agree

1. Physical size really doesn't matter. Why is the ipad and iPhone offering the same 64gb?

2. I feel like they will use same price 199/32, 299/64, 399/128 and just bump the spec

1. Physical size matters. iPad has more space to put in a 2x64GB chip configuration.

2. Not just yet.

3. Yes a 16GB iPhone is painful. However, given that the 64GB chip was just introduced to the iPhone, I see a repeat of 2008 iPhone storage bump. Where the original iPhone got a 16GB boost and the 3G iPhone dumped completely the 4GB model. (already had happened in August of 2007)

It is a wise assumption to think Apple may drop finally 16GB as entry level for their newest iPhone. After all, there is precedent to do so.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Well probably not, but the same argument went about bringing 64gb to the 4S and it happened

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Agree

1. Physical size matters. iPad has more space to put in a 2x64GB chip configuration.

2. Not just yet.

3. Yes a 16GB iPhone is painful. However, given that the 64GB chip was just introduced to the iPhone, I see a repeat of 2008 iPhone storage bump. Where the original iPhone got a 16GB boost and the 3G iPhone dumped completely the 4GB model. (already had happened in August of 2007)

It is a wise assumption to think Apple may drop finally 16GB as entry level for their newest iPhone. After all, there is precedent to do so.

I would settle for Apple bumping everything down the line on the next update. Make 32GB the base $199 model, go to 64GB at $299. Sell the 16GB model at $99. I know this messes up some of the cheaper model stuff, but it might be cheaper to do this since you would reduce the line to two physical casings (5, 5S) instead of three.

I think it has been about four years since storage was increased at any given price point. Meanwhile, the apps aren't getting smaller thanks to all the increased segmentation. Throw us a bone!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I would settle for Apple bumping everything down the line on the next update. Make 32GB the base $199 model, go to 64GB at $299. Sell the 16GB model at $99. I know this messes up some of the cheaper model stuff, but it might be cheaper to do this since you would reduce the line to two physical casings (5, 5S) instead of three.

I think it has been about four years since storage was increased at any given price point. Meanwhile, the apps aren't getting smaller thanks to all the increased segmentation. Throw us a bone!

Yes, that may be true. Apps are growing, but thats why we have app differentiation at least on the iPhone v iPad level. However, that still makes a hassle for the Retina v non-Retina in the iPad market and now the 4" v 3.5" segmentation in the market. Something like this is screaming no-no. However, all said and done, Apple may try to milk right now the whole 128GB and 64GB markup. After all, the 64GB iPhone version was just launched with the 4S. It may be that the 5S may drop the 16GB entirely (please do) and juts leave the 16GB for the 5 and 4S entry points (which makes better sense given the precedent of 3G, 3GS, and 4)

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
128GB is needed much more on the iPad than it is on the iPhone, as apps are bigger and people often put a lot of movies & tv shows on them. Is a 128GB iPhone really needed?

All I know is I was told when I bought my desktop in 1998 that I would never use all of the space on my 10GB hard drive. Needs catch up with capacity.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Makes sense for the iPad.

Does not make sense for iPhone, iPod Touch.

I could make the reverse argument, that the iPhone needs it more than the iPad (but we'd both be wrong -- more storage makes sense for all iOS devices). With my phone, I'm more inclined to shoot lots of photo and video and also I'd like to have my full music collection on me without having to resort to unreliable streaming services (and iPod touch owners often don't even have a net connection). Just to put it into perspective, the iPhone/iPod touch still haven't caught up to the iPod Classic, which had 160GB -- and that was 5 years ago.

I have a 64GB iPhone and I just had to delete stuff off of it because I had only 1GB free. I still don't have my full music collection on my device (90GB). I had way too many issues with iTunes Match and am not going back to using it, at least on my iPhone.

If I had an iPad, I'd get the 32GB (instead of 16GB) model to be sure I can store all the music production apps I want to play with and have a decent amount of room leftover, but I wouldn't be syncing my music collection or taking photos/video, so I don't think I'd need more than that.

Of course I think all devices can benefit from more storage, and your use case determines what you need. Because of the cost/capacities of flash memory, we have relatively minuscule amounts of storage on these devices. It's strange that I see people on this forum not understanding what you would need more storage space for. I'm not saying you are doing this, but every time a thread about more storage space comes up, there's a number of people asking why you'd need more than 16GB in an iPhone, which is barely enough to have a decent sized app collection.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I'm not saying you are doing this, but every time a thread about more storage space comes up, there's a number of people asking why you'd need more than 16GB in an iPhone, which is barely enough to have a decent sized app collection.

I could say the same for those that want a 128GB model or even a 256GB model. I don't see how/why you would keep 500+ apps and 10 HD movies and 50 books on your device at the same time. Some might just want all their content in one place, but I suspect most are just too lazy to go through and clean their devices.

Happens with me too but I dont need 5 weather apps.

Hey if Apple drops the price and makes the 32GB start at $199 I'm cool with that.

But all Apple is doing is making the 128GB model iPad cost $899. $499 for a phone is just crazy, no matter how good it is.

Then your going to get all the people who thing buying the most expensive model gives them some kind of "special status''.

32GB will always be the sweet spot. 16GB (14.5GB) is a little to small for me considering I have at least 1 HD movie on my device.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
To me its like carrying 6 suitcases of stuff just to go to the grocery store. Yes something might happen and I might need to change, or it might get cold or rain or snow and I want to have my whole wardrobe and all shoes with me at all times.
But whatever makes one happy I guess:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.