Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaquarat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
i want to get a powerbook for some light final cut pro video editing. of course i'd rather have the 128 video card, but since that option is only available on the 1.67 model, would i be losing any fcp performance by getting the stock 1.5 model with the 64 video card and thereby saving myself $250-$350??? does the 128 video card contribute significantly to final cut pro???

thanks!

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I don't think the extra VRAM boosts FCP much (I'll be corrected, I'm sure, if I'm wrong) -- but if you ever plan to use Motion (or do much 3d gaming), definitely go for the VRAM upgrade.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Yup, What Chris said....

2D video editing is not GPU dependent. It IS CPU, RAM, and HD speed dependent though!

Certain parts of the OS slough of some tasks to the GPU, and 3D apps (Motion, games, etc) use the card extensively.

By the best book you can, lots of ram, quickest HD, biggest GPU, etc. You are future proofing your machine (it will last longer), increasing resale value, and you may grow into it in ways you did not realize.

Cheers,

James

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
You wouldn't loose any performance, but it is a very good idea to upgrade that card. With the higher card, if you use two displays you will have enough VRAM for the Tiger effects. You will also have a more future proof card. The GPU has little to do with video editing, but it is a very good idea to get that upgrade because you can't upgrade that on a laptop.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
If you don't spend the money to get the card upgraded, spend the money for an upgraded hard drive and try and max out the ram.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
JzzTrump22 said:
If you don't spend the money to get the card upgraded, spend the money for an upgraded hard drive and try and max out the ram.

You can always up the RAM later (and cheaper). Not so VRAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.