Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coryndiego

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
Weekly Photo Contest December 2 - December 9

Topic: Texture

- Consider how the texture lends to the overall feeling or telling the story.
- Fill the frame or have it be a detail in the larger picture - Be Creative!

I cant wait to see what your creative minds come up with!

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Last edited:

Rich-212

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
Rose

I'll go first then...click through for larger image.

Attachments

• 6445643587_0db9a30cff_b.jpg
    6445643587_0db9a30cff_b.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 658

Blakeco123

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I think this shows the texture and composition of a sunflower (seeds, leaves, ect.)

Attachments

• IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 2,432

JAWJr

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Oregon, USA
Hiking along the lower Tatras, these plum trees have developed a sort of disease as you can see- Interesting texture to the touch.

Attachments

• IMG_0384.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 625

coryndiego

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
Closed - Winners and Feedback

Thanks everyone! The contest is closed.
This was a hard decision.

1st Place - gnd
2nd Place - Chappers
3rd Place - Heebeejeebies

Rich-212 - The textures in the table top and the rose petals at different stages are a good examples texture. Although, I think that it's missing something to make it complete
attachment.php

Nicolasdec - The fabrics are beautiful and full of color! The textures vary on each piece from smooth to a rougher weave.. Great job!
6214196340_dc87f6f07e_b.jpg

* gnd - This image really made me think. What is it? It appears to be sand but it could be the surface of the moon and it's really snow! I like that the image is b&w as the contrast it lends to the feeling to the texture. I chose this photo for 1st place.
SnowTexture_1000.jpg

fireman32 - I think this is an image of tobacco leaves drying. The textures are represented very well but I can see it being more effective with a cropping to eliminate some of the black space in the ceiling.
6278263080_74f87c416d_b.jpg

cambookpro - Smooth is definitely a texture but maybe more string would have helped make this image more interesting.
-25.jpg

HarryPot - Old and used is what it looks like. I really liked this image because I could almost feel and smell those times cooking on an open campfire and getting my hands all black. This image would have been more appealing to me if there was more of the bottom of the pot or the burned logs would have been more in focus.
20080809.jpg

gaz81 - Crunch... this is a good photo and maybe more contrast would have brought out more texture in the crunch leaves.
6274922296_c398ce2c93_z.jpg

AlexH - Great texture! The earthy paint colors really make the textures pop from the brick and mortar. The angle is also good as it is just enough to not distort the lines. This image was up in the top 5 for me.
2759653927_bbce9fdfed_z.jpg

Blakeco123 - Nice macro shot. the droplets of water/pollen on the fuzzy hairs is a good representation of texture in nature.
attachment.php

deep diver - Very Interesting. Another "what is it?" photo. This image has a lot going for it. The rough and rusty metal for the texture, geometric shape, symmetry, and good framing.
attachment.php

emorydunn - A vinyl record? It looks like the rings of Saturn. the color choice really helped bring out the texture of the lines and separated the smooth areas on the outside nicely. This image was up in the top 5 for me.
5501106890_9605f1f1f0_z.jpg

fcortese - Nice knot. I can defiantly feel the texture in this one. good composition and a very clean image.
nifty503047.jpg

JAWJr - This parasite or disease is an interesting texture. I'm not sure I want to feel it :) but you did capture it well.
attachment.php

**Chappers - Tomato or an Apricot? This is a wicked image and makes me think of holding my breath so I don't inhale the spores. You have captured the many textures in this photo very well and its a perfect example of texture with food and fungi. If I had to pick one thing about it to critique, I would have to ask where the focus point is. Aside from that, I think this is one of the best. This image takes 2nd place
4372538402_74db60d6c4_b.jpg

acearchie - Beautiful portrait shot. You have really captured her wide eyes with the shallow depth of field. Her skin is silky smooth. This isn't what I had in mind when I chose the topic but your interpretation made me think differently.
6476259667_93103f18ac_z.jpg

***Heebeejeebies - Every inch of the frame is filled with texture in this image. I admire the balance between the course rough ground and the butterflies delicate wings. Is it a pavement or just a very dark dirt? This image takes 3rd place.
silverycheckerspot.jpg

Last edited:

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Well thats 3 weeks in a row for second place..... but I'm happy with my satsuma/tangerine fungal photo. I loved so many of the shots I am amazed with second place.

Congrats to gnd great shot.

Thanks to coryndiego for the judging - nice and constructive.

.... One small thing can we change rule 3 back to how it was
3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Thank you coryndiego for a great job with the judging!
Great entries all around from everyone.

I'll have the new contest up (as soon as I can think of a good topic) within the next few hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.