128bit processors?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fearless Leader, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

how long before we see 128bit processors. and acording to wiki 128 is the limit... i think...

anybody care to translate this and explain it?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The article's saying that 128-bit memory addresses would be more than sufficient to point to unique addresses for more information than you'd ever need.

Basically, the more bits, the more unique spots to store something, just like more digits in a phone number means more possible unique phone numbers.

However, it doesn't mean 128-bit processors are the end of the road - processor bit depth is, in essence, a measure of how "wide the road is" for instructions and data to travel, and, for some applications, wider is better. However, a 1024-bit processor, should one be developed, needn't use 1024-bit memory addressing.

3. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

ohh thnks, and does anyone know why it would take so much energy to fill the memory? is it cuase their is just soo many particles it consumes an unfeasable amount of energy?i think i just answered my own question...

4. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

interesting tid bit of an argument as to why 256 bit memory would be impossible.

5. Cloud9 macrumors regular