128DDR Video Card issues

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TyleRomeo, Apr 20, 2002.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

allrite so we all know that the Ti Nvidia card blows away the 64DDR one. but the standard card on the top two power macs supports VGA monitors besides the obvious ADC LCDs. but the top end car supports DVI.

Now can i still use my VGA CRT with a DVI conncection or do I need to go out and buy a brand new DVI connection monitor?

2. Choppaface macrumors 65816

i'm pretty sure you'd have to buy that 150$ converter

but my geforce4 ti 4400 in my PC has a VGA port....can't you just buy a PC one and flash mac ROM onto it like some people did for the geforce 3 TI's?

3. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

You can buy a DVI - VGA adapter for a bout $10, and an ADC - VGA adapter for $40, but there will be some issues (adapters always have issues), and some loss of signal quality, and perhaps sense codes.

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

he he, i shouldve known there would be cheaper ones. i was just quoting something i read over at barefeats.com

5. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

well $10 isnt that bad, I know a DVI connection is much cleaner but most monitors are still just VGA.

Maybe i'll just buy an S-Video PCI card and just use my TV as the other monitor.

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: 128DDR Video Card issues

The card, or computer, should have come with a DVI to VGA adapter plug. I know that the Radeon 8500 that I picked up months ago for my peecee did. I have also seen more then a few monitors from IBM come in with DVI to VGA adapter plugs. If the computer/card didn't come with the adapter plug, then call either Apple or nVidia and b*tch them out about it.

There is no way you should 'have' to get a new monitor to use your new computer. How often do people change computers, but not screens?? My current crt is on it's third cpu, and might even go to one more later. If you buy a good quality screen, it should last you at least 3-5 years, with some going longer (depends on how much you use it).

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Two words for you.. bull and sh*t. I have been using a DVI to VGA adapter on my crt (powered by a Radeon 8500 card) and the signal is more then you could ask for. Maybe if you are using low quality video cables, video cards, or crappy monitors you won't see as good a signal. I have the Radeon 8500 (64MB DDR version) connecting to a 19" ViewSonic E790B screen and it is great. I even connect it to my VG175 occasionally, and the signal there is even better (great quality LCD).

The ONLY adapters that I have had issues with are the USB to ADB and USB to SCSI adapters. Video signal adapters are not chocking the signal any, just aranging the pins properly, and making sure the right ones get to the display. The others have to convert the signal between old and new technologies, as well as the bandwidth chocking (SCSI is always faster then USB 1.1).