128kbps to 64, vice versa?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by About2SwitchOvr, Mar 30, 2004.

1. About2SwitchOvr macrumors regular

if you have an mp3 at 128kbps and convert it to 64kbps, it loses sound quality, correct? When you convert an mp3 at 64kbps to 192kbps for example, do you gain sound quality?

Also, would iTunes be able to do this for me?

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

No you will not gain any quality.

You should re-rip the source at 192kbps to get a better sounding MP3.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

kingjr3 is correct.

mp3 is a lossy compression. increasing the bitrate cannot bring back what's already lost.

(kinda zen-ish, no? :cool: )

4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

pouring 5 gallons of water into a 10 gallon bucket doesn't give you 10 gallons of water. itunes can do this for you (if you really want to). just set the import settings, select the song, and choose Advanced -> Convert Selection to MP3 (or aac if you're using the aac importer).

5. About2SwitchOvr thread starter macrumors regular

THANKS.. kind of funny

I was praising this forum to my buddy here at work, of course during lunch hours :)-P), and this was a question he posed. I told him the samething, but wanted to confirm with you guys. Thanks once again. I just wish I could return the favor somehow/sometime.

I appreciate all of your help. For all that do not know, I just bought the iMac 20', BT keyboard, upgraded mem, and the EyeTV, EVERYTHING I read about here on the forum. ALL is working well... THANKS!

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

congrats! 20" screen must be sweet... i love my 12" PB, but the screen does seem a bit tiny at times...

yeah, fattymembrane's analogy is funny, but very good... :)

7. About2SwitchOvr thread starter macrumors regular

Speaking of the 20"

I was actually contemplating the 17 PB, but after seeing the 20"incher, I was taken aback. I live in Boston, where it's notorious for small apts. I live in a studio, and after hooking up the EyeTV to the iMac, it's like having a 20" LCD TV/DVD PLAYER in my apt!!! How cool is that? Anywho, I love this machine!! :)

I think I'll be a regular MAC FORUM voyeur/part-time poster :)