128mb VRAM enough?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bep207, Sep 26, 2006.

1. bep207 macrumors 6502

Jul 20, 2006
    Can the 128mb VRAM 15" MBP run a 20" monitor and its own monitor very quickly?

How much of an boost will be noticed for use in Aperture and Final Cut Express?

Planning on purchasing a 15" MacBook Pro in about 1 hrs and 30 min

Advice? (btw, not waiting for Merom, dont need it)
  2. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    It will be fine, but Aperture may be a little slow in full screen mode - it is in everything.

I run a 30" display on my PB 1.67 with 128 MB of VRAM.
  3. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2006
    Baltimore, Maryland USA
    Wish I could give you an educated answer, but I can't. I do believe that if the price for an upgrade isn't through the roof, more VRAM is always better. Especially if you are a heavy graphics user. I am a PC user right now (wanting to move to Mac) and I always go for the most VRAM I can afford.
  4. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    128 should be fine. of course, more VRAM will better support graphics if you do graphic-intensive work.

if you can afford it, go for the 256 and you'll never think to yourself "if i'd gotten 256 would i have this issue?"
  5. bep207 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 20, 2006
    by graphics intensive what do you mean?

i dont do any 3d graphics or anything

outside of iLife i use:
    Final Cut Express
    Photoshop (will purchase UB when available)

Are those Graphic intensive?

I hate full screen mode on Aperture by the way. But I am looking forward to using my 20" monitor to view large photos while the MBP Screen browses my Aperture library. Any HUGE speed problems there?

I am used to using a 2.1ghz iMac G5 with 128mb VRAM. Will I see a significant increase in speed?
  6. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    by graphics-intensive i meant editing movies and some large pictures.

i think you'll be fine with 128. that said, i stand by my previous statement that if you can afford 256, you should upgrade in case you upgrade to a larger monitor, you end up liking aperture full screen mode, or whatever the case.

you will definitely notice the speed increase from the iMac G5 to the MBP.