Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KAPATACHOWA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Hey, I'm a soon to be freshman film student looking to buy an MBP. I of course am waiting it out as long as possible in case of updates but as of right now I am debating between the 2.16ghz and 2.33ghz models both with 2 gigs of RAM. I will doing extensive work in Final Cut Studio and am wondering if the 128vRAM vs the 256vRAM will be a noticable difference. I'd like to save the money but if the 256vRAM is important enough I will spend the money. What do you think?

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I think you should have searched the forums because its not like this question hasn't been asked already 50 times!

Click on "Search", its one of the buttons running along the top of the website.

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
Hey, I'm a soon to be freshman film student looking to buy an MBP. I of course am waiting it out as long as possible in case of updates but as of right now I am debating between the 2.16ghz and 2.33ghz models both with 2 gigs of RAM. I will doing extensive work in Final Cut Studio and am wondering if the 128vRAM vs the 256vRAM will be a noticable difference. I'd like to save the money but if the 256vRAM is important enough I will spend the money. What do you think?

Are you going to be heavy gaming or using Motion? If you do, get the 256vRAM otherwise 128vRAM is fine for you.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
The extra gig of RAM and slightly faster CPU on the high-end 15" MBP are much more important than +128MB VRAM.

The only app in the Final Cut Studio that can probably take advantage of the extra VRAM is Motion, but the difference in speed should be minimal, if noticable at all.

So you should know that you are going to get a higher-end machine not for 256MB VRAM, but for extra gig of RAM, faster CPU AND +128V as a little bonus.

KAPATACHOWA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
thanks for responding. Sorry for posting this since there are so many like it, it's just that nobody seems to have the exact same set of circumstances.

anyway

I forgot to say that I plan on also running an external 22 inch display and I might be using Motion down there road. Is it worth it to get the extra vRAM?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
thanks for responding. Sorry for posting this since there are so many like it, it's just that nobody seems to have the exact same set of circumstances.

anyway

I forgot to say that I plan on also running an external 22 inch display and I might be using Motion down there road. Is it worth it to get the extra vRAM?

when do you plan on upgrading your machine. I would upgrade it so you have it. Also wait till NAB to get FCP their might be a huge update ;)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia

I advise you to get 256 if you're going to work on two screens, because VRAM splits in a half between them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.