Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Australian developer Firemint, acquired by Electronic Arts earlier this year, has moved its highly-acclaimed iOS game Real Racing 2 to the Mac, launching the title in the Mac App Store.

real_racing_2_mac.jpg

Among the notable features of the Mac version is the ability for owners of iOS versions of the game to control the Mac version using the touch and tilt capabilities of their mobile devices.
- Test your racing prowess on a 16 car grid against highly skilled AI drivers.
- Select from 30 officially licensed cars including the 2010 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500, 2010 Nissan GT-R (R35), 2012 McLaren MP4-12C, and more!
- Work your way from rookie to pro in a robust Career Mode, offering 10 hours of racing enjoyment. Jump into a Quick Race for instant fun - or battle against the clock in Time Trial Mode.
- Race in 15 beautiful locations, with 40 miles of highly detailed race tracks, speedways and city circuits - including twilight and night races.
- Touch or tilt to steer with your iPhone, iPad - or Mac controls. This innovative control system lets you customize options to fit your personal driving style.
- Experience the intensity of head-to-head racing with 5 unique camera angles and breath-taking graphics powered by Firemint's exclusive high performance Mint3D(TM) engine.
- Purchase Real Racing 2 currency to progress even faster!
While the iPhone control is not a unique feature given that other titles like Chopper 2 have had such functionality for some time, Real Racing 2 is a popular iOS game and will no doubt attract fans on the Mac platform as well.

Real Racing 2 for Mac is priced at $12.99.

Article Link: 'Real Racing 2' Hits Mac App Store with iPhone Controls

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Pretty nice, it works well. Just make sure you turn off auto off on your phone. 3 minutes in the race and steering goes dead.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I know what I'm doing when I get home today! I like examples like these where Apple's developer ecosystem allows for these type of cool integration. :cool::apple:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Seems to me that all that is left in either version is a way to link up with folks not in the room with you and race each other.

The info mentions up to 16 AI cars, so instead this could be up to 16 Game Center (or whatever) connected cars with AI filling in any empty slots.

Heck for that matter, Game Center integration into Mac versions of the games would also be a nice touch. Plus making sure the play each other goes across versions. So I can be playing on my Mac but my brother across country could be on his iPad and my cousin on his Apple TV and iPhone and we are in one game.

PC Chopath

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
Neverland
wow, racing games with stunning graphics that I had never seen before.
Btw, When Electronics Arts & Transgaming come to Mac 2012.
Battlefield: Bad Company 3!! lol :p

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Firemint also launched Real Racing 2 and Spy Mouse on Android. Looks like they are dabbling in the dark side. I'm guessing the next keynote rehearsal will be a bit tense.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Seems to me that all that is left in either version is a way to link up with folks not in the room with you and race each other.

The info mentions up to 16 AI cars, so instead this could be up to 16 Game Center (or whatever) connected cars with AI filling in any empty slots.

Heck for that matter, Game Center integration into Mac versions of the games would also be a nice touch. Plus making sure the play each other goes across versions. So I can be playing on my Mac but my brother across country could be on his iPad and my cousin on his Apple TV and iPhone and we are in one game.

The lack of Game Center on Mac OS X is Apple's own shortcoming. Additionally, Game Center can't connect that many players together.

But I agree that in any racing game they aught to include multiplayer between computers... and across platforms.

Minuteman3

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
I do not have the iPhone version of the game. I suspect I'd need to buy both for the Mac and the iPhone in order to get this to work?

Cheers!!

Ken

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
I was going to buy it but then I realized that while it's only $0.99 for iOS, the expect us, Mac users, to fork out $12.99 for what is basically a port from iOS to OS X.

The same number of tracks, the same number of cars, pretty much the same game.

I have the money but I also have a brain. Thanks but no thanks.

Last edited:

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
Any idea of how this will run on a 13” Macbook Pro from 2009 (2.26C2D, 9400M)?

I can’t find min specs, and I don’t feel like spending 10€ to find out.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
Even on their support thread people have been asking for over 8 hours with no response. Pretty ridiculous.

I have bitten the bullet, installing now, will update. If it doesn’t work I’ll nag apple and they will probably send a refund. Same thing happened with GTA San Andreas, terrible performance which is unacceptable for such an old game.

hyperipod

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Works very well and smoothly on MacBook Air 13" 2011.

Also, I tested the remote function and I didn't notice any lag!

Though, I don't feel there's a big graphic improvement over the iPad 2 version...

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
Graphics look nice but are not next gen. Perfectly smooth on a 2009 Macbook Pro 13"

However I seem to have a graphics problem which has never appears on any other game I play. See attached image.

Also, the online control is slightly laggy. You notice it immediately.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 402

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I was going to buy it but then I realized that while it's only $0.99 for iOS, the expect us, Mac users, to fork out $12.99 for what is basically a port from iOS to OS X.

The same number of tracks, the same number of cars, pretty much the same game.

I have the money but I also have a brain. Thanks but no thanks.

On one hand, I hear you - it's another take on the pocketbook.

But on the other hand, for me personally, the value of this game in terms of continuous play is well worth it.

Before the app store / mac store etc.. , we had to buy boxed games for $40 - $100 and they probably weren't nearly as good or had the same amount of 'play time'.

Sure, it's another $13, but think of how much one can play this game?

Imho, it's not a bad price.

badpompous

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
Flypad does the same thing

This is cool - just got it and tried it and its designed along a lot of the same principles as Flypad: http://www.getflypad.com.

We're designing this so that you can use any smartphone (iOS or Android) or your iPad, to control any driving games that are already on the PC/Mac, including NFS & DiRT3.

Firemint has done an awesome job though.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Graphics look nice but are not next gen. Perfectly smooth on a 2009 Macbook Pro 13"

However I seem to have a graphics problem which has never appears on any other game I play. See attached image.

Also, the online control is slightly laggy. You notice it immediately.

I was installing it as well. Works great other than the 3 minute iPhone fail. I was in 1st place too! Once they fix that, this is going to be awesome! iPhone tilt control is great but it auto-shifts.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Does anyone know if I have to buy the iphone version to control the ipad HD version and if it works? The chopper game hasa control app and works great.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
The iPhone command is laggy, but the arrow keys seem to be curiously laggy as well, so I am wondering if this is a game issue and not a network issue.

Other than that, it seems to be a straight iPad port.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

But on the other hand, for me personally, the value of this game in terms of continuous play is well worth it.

Before the app store / mac store etc.. , we had to buy boxed games for $40 - $100 and they probably weren't nearly as good or had the same amount of 'play time'.

why pay 13$ when we can get the exact same thing for 1$?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I'm interested in getting this, but no idea how well it will run on my white Macbook late 2007, with C2D 2.2ghz, Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics, 4GB ram.

Until I get a better idea, it would be unwise to buy. However, if it runs on the iPhone, it *should* be able to run at a broadly similar resolution on the macbook even with intel's POS integrated graphics.

Looking forwards to throwing this up on my projector and controlling via iphone accelerometer.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico

I understand. I was very tempted but this is basically a matter of principles. The difference between $12.99 and $0.99 is huge, I take it as an insult. Personally, it's a ripoff.

There was a time when we had to buy boxed games for a Mac but this changed when Steam was finally launched on OS X. Pricing on Steam is fair and you have something that the Mac App Store doesn't have: holiday discounts.

In example, the game 'And Yet It Moves' is priced at $9.99 on Mac App Store, while you can buy it for $2.49 on Steam. Duke Nukem Forever is $19.99 with Apple while you can buy it for $9.99 on Steam, etc. So, when EA wants 13-times the price of the iOS version for the Mac version, I kindly say no and give them the finger.

Anyway, each to their own.

I'm interested in getting this, but no idea how well it will run on my white Macbook late 2007, with C2D 2.2ghz, Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics, 4GB ram.

Until I get a better idea, it would be unwise to buy. However, if it runs on the iPhone, it *should* be able to run at a broadly similar resolution on the macbook even with intel's POS integrated graphics.

Looking forwards to throwing this up on my projector and controlling via iphone accelerometer.

I seriously doubt it will run on Intel's integrated graphics. Most games on the Mac don't support them.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.