12in iBook and Apple Display

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Z6128, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Z6128 macrumors regular

is the 12in iBook compatible with the 20in Apple Cinema Display?

and for anyone that has a 12in iBook, how well does it run. i'll most likely be doing internet, email, iTunes and maybe some video editing with iMovie. is the iBook good enough for doing all of this?

2. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

3. Z6128 thread starter macrumors regular

according to apple, the ibooks are not compatible with the apple displays. :( well, i'll just be buying a 12in Powerbook instead. you get more for your money anyway (at least i think so)

4. Shasta macrumors member

in a similar situation my self...

The iBook only has a VGA out, I would recommend the Dell 2005FPW display, it uses the same screen as the cinema desplay but includes DVI, VGA, S-Video, and Composite (RCA) video inputs, I plan on getting one of these next time they go on sale and pairing it up with my PowerMac G5 through DVI and when I finally finish playing the waiting game with an iBook on VGA, one button switch!

I can't wait!

as always YMMV
    Shasta

PS! go to http://www.techbargains.com/dellcoupons.cfm to check up on when the monitor goes on sale!

5. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Thanks for that tidbit. I remembered all the comparisons between the two, and wondered about it as a possibility to complement the iBook 12" Looks like it is a possibility!

Anyone out there know how the iBook fares with the screen?

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

You'll have to run the screen spanning hack, in order to get a higher resolution than 1024x768 on the iBook. Furthermore, I found, when I owned an iBook, that the performance was hurt, when using an external display, since it cuts your VRAM in half no matter what, even with the hack.

7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

The current line of ACD comes with the DVI port only, while other LCD screens typically come with both DVI and VGA ports (I think this is mostly because most of the PC notebook does not come with DVI.

I am curious to know the adaptor for DVI (the onle converts the VGA (analog signal) to DVI (Digital) maintain the same graphics qualitiy as the pre-installed DVI port such as the one PowerBook comes with. Or is the visual quality inferior with the DVI LCD screen & DVI-adaptor-equipped computer, compared to the DVI LCD & the current line of PowerBook with DVI?