12in PB and wide screen monitors

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by billyb, Dec 30, 2004.

1. billyb macrumors member

I have a 12 in rev. B powerbook (1 ghz). I'm looking into getting an external LCD monitor for it when I'm at home. I've been primarily looking at the Samsung 193p and the Dell 1905FP, both 19 inch monitors, but have just begun looking at widescreen models. Dell makes the 2005FPW, which is a 20.1 in widescreen and looks nice, but I'm not sure if my graphics card can handle it.

I suspect it can, since I'm pretty sure it can hook up (DVI) to the new aluminum displays. And yes, I'd get a 20 in apple widescreen if I had a lot more money.

Anyone know if I'm going to end up with black bars on the side of the screen if the PB doesn't support the widescreen format? I don't know much about this stuff but am trying to learn.

i'd be interested in hearing how much people like those other monitors, too, if they have them!

Thanks,

bb

2. bigsteve3 macrumors member

I second that question. I have the exact same computer and am looking for similar LCD monitors (17" rather than 19" though). Will my Powerbook 12" be able to drive those monitors in widescreen mode?

-S

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Your PB will handle the widescreen resolution just fine.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

There was a thread on the Dell 2005FP recently here. And a user did sya that he was running widescreen on his PB 12".

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It'll be just fine, and the 2005FPW is a fantastic screen (I'm sitting in front of one :D).

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You are fine. It is only the 30" that is special. And the PowerBook supports nearly any resolution, widescreen or otherwise.

7. billyb thread starter macrumors member

with 32 mb graphics card?

I apologize profusely if I'm beating this to death, given the number of replies I've gotten, but before I plunk the $600 I just want to be sure: my PB with only 32 mb of video RAM will run this? I just want to make sure that the positive responses I've gotten are not just applicable to the newer, 64 mb PBs.

thanks, thanks, thanks, everyone-

-bb

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

There are users here with ibooks running 20-inch widescreens.

Don't expect exposé to run smooth and be prepared to hear the fan comming on more often, the fx5200 tends to get very hot when pushed.

9. billyb thread starter macrumors member

thanks!

got it, great, thank you, appreciate the help!

bb

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Running a 20" Dell LCD at full res, and haven't seen these issues yet.

11. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yea, I've plugged my iBook with the monitor spanning hack into my teacher's widescreen monitor at school, and it works just fine. Keep in mind, though, that your VRAM will be split in half across the monitors. Depending on what card you have, exposé and minimizing windows could get a bit jerky, as well as graphic-intensive programs. It'll most definitely work though! :D

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

No problems if you use the PB in "clamshell mode".