12in PowerBook G4 Battery and Other Q's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Z6128, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Z6128 macrumors regular

i had a few questions about the 12in Powerbook. how long does the battery really last on a single charge. how long can i expect the battery to last while using airport and with the screen set to the brightest setting, but not using the optical drive. and how about when you are watching a dvd movie? i ask this because the laptop i have now (see sig for specs) lasts no more than one hour on a single charge, which makes things really difficult sometimes.

how well will the powerbook perform tasks such as internet, email, iTunes, and some video editing using iMovie? does it work well with Tiger? and is it able to have multiple applications open at the same time?

are the graphics good on the Powebook. this is important because my laptop can't even play dvd movies or simples games.

thanks in advance for any help

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Read the board for what people think about Pbs.
    Mine does everything fine, I edit video using FCP, work with audio, and do the standard work related stuff.
    I average 3 hrs on a charge and carry a spare battery. Depending on use I get between 2 and 4.5 hours of use. I can really stretch the up time if I am only using Word.

I can easy watch a full movie on the plane. I also like that I can charge my phone from the USB port while the computer is sleeping, a plus for travel.

3. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Well, not that I'm going to be much help but I have a Rev. B 12" powerbook. When it was new, it had excellent battery life - 2.5 hours normally. (although my G3 iBook from new used to last 3.5 hours!).

Now the battery seems to be going pants up and seems to only last about 90 minutes tops... But I guess it's one of those things I should learn to replace in time...

That's all I can really contribute - because mine's a 1GHz G4... Then again, I was using it as my primary machine for about 18 months. Then I got a powermac g5... which I'll never look back on - and infact find my powerbook horribly slow compared to (but still muchly useable)...