12PB Lid Close - Stay Awake!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by patrick0brien, Feb 17, 2003.

1. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Folks

I got a new 12PB this weekend, my first PowerBook, and I've got pretty much all of the PowerBook quirks discovered (Battery, Airport, Energy Saver), but one, how can I configure the machine to stay awake with the lid closed.

I just can figure that out, anybody know?

2. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

Re: 12PB Lid Close - Stay Awake!

I think you need an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse attached and when you shut it, it will automatically use the external monitor as the screen.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

you gotta shut the lid and put it to sleep. hook up an external monitor and keyboard. hit a button on the keyboard and thats it. i think there are other ways to do by hitting the keyboard real quick on the latop and shuttin the lid. i just did it with mine so thats all it takes.

iJon

4. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

i asked about this a while ago, but is there a way to do this with the iBook? Can I do the same thing?

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

you should, apple has had this feature for a long time in various apple laptops. its just if the computer detects that your lid is closed with a monitor attached, the screen just wont come on. they call it lid closed operation.

iJon

6. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Makes sense..

-Thanks guys.

I'll give 'er a go tonight.

7. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

8. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

And here's a tidbit from another article:

": You should not run the computer with the top casing or lid down, and this feature is no longer available. One of the main ways the computer cools is by allowing hot air to escape through the keyboard, and closing the lid impedes the cooling process. "

Once again, they say you SHOULDN'T, not that you COULDN'T. ;)

Regards,
    Gus

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

from the use of my powerbook, seems like most of the heat comes out of the back where the hinge is. since i dont use this feautre anymore i dont pay much attention to it congrats on your 500 posts gus and getting your nice avatar, im sure its a great feeling.

iJon

10. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Yeah, it took long enough, too. Lurking for 6 months, and then finally registering. I didn't post for a long time, then I jumped in with a big flop. :)

I used this lid closed thing with my Pismo, and I also thought that most of the heat came from the bottom.

Regards,
    Gus

11. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Hmm

Uhh. Good point.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I can live with it running with the lid up. Especially with the experience of having fried my 450DP for placing it too near a radiator for a year and a half last year.

One fried Mac a life.