13.3" MacBook Pro not high resolution like MacBook Air? Any mod/hack for LCD upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crashnburn, Apr 29, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Nov 18, 2009
    13.3" MacBook Pro not high resolution like MacBook Air? Any mod/hack for LCD upgrade?

- I wonder if this has been discussed here? I am betting it has but I googled and did not find the thread
    - Is there a way to upgrade/ replace/ hack the LCD/LED to the higher resolution panel from Mac Book Air or another panel of such size with higher resolution?
    - Anyone do the above?

- Thoughts?
  2. macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2011
    Ugh. The panel from the Macbook Air is FAR worse than the "lower" resolution than the Pro.

To do so to gain a slight bit of resolution to sacrifice color gamut, viewing angles, and contrast is silly to say the least.
  3. macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2011
  4. macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2010
    Unfortunately, when I attempted to fit a MacBook Air 1440 x 900 display into a 13-inch MacBook Pro, the display simply wasn't recognised by the machine. The LVDS cable connectors are the same, but the signalling or pin arrangement must be different.
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 18, 2009
    I am pre-dominantly interested in High Resolution machines. Higher Res on smaller size machines.

Its disappointing to hear that such nice machines 13.3" MBP & MBA lack the high res screens.
  6. macrumors 604

Aug 10, 2010
    Poole, England
    No headaches, but I do get eye strain with the 13" MBA.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Nov 24, 2007
    Its time to release retina displays for notebooks. Its ridiculous that tablets and phones are getting them and notebooks are still stuck with substandard low resolution screens.
  8. azentropy, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    When the technology is ready they will used in notebooks. There are many aspects that have to be accounted for.
    Cost - would you buy one if it it added $500 to the cost of a laptop?
    power requirements - would you buy one if your battery was reduced to 3 or 4 hours?
    cooling requirements - would you buy one if you couldn't actually use a laptop on your lap because of how warm it gets?
    gpu requirements - would you buy one if the frame-rate for video/games was limited to 15fps because that is the best the gpu could do?

It isn't as simple as just producing them and slapping them in.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2006
    Washington State
    You can't make an absolute statement like that. For some people more resolution if more important then better color gamut, viewing angles, and contrast.

That is like saying that in all cases owning CDs is better than 192 Kbps MP3s.
  10. macrumors 68030

Feb 23, 2009
    And isn't the technology ready yet?

Apple released a retina iPad with exactly the same price as the standard-resolution iPad (US$ 499). It didn't add US$ 500 to the cost of the iPad; and it won't add US$ 500 to the Mac either.

The retina display consumes more battery, but Apple managed to keep the same battery life in the retina iPad. Why wouldn't it do the same with the Mac?

It indeed gets warm. But the new iPad is even thinner than a notebook and it can handle a retina display.

Ivy Bridge is capable of retina resolutions. And the new AMD cards too. Games will take a long way before they support retina. They will run in standard resolutions (even if the OS uses higher resolutions - it's always happened this way) until video cards are able to support retina games.

Yes, not as simple. But Apple may just be right there at this point.
  11. macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Apparently not, has anyone released a larger than 10" screen on anything with that high of DPI?

Right, by time it probably ships it it won't. But that was my point. If they tried to ship one two years ago it would have.

You have to look at scale and volume. Much harder to produce such a high DPI screen at 13, 15 and 17". Also the sheer volume of iPad screens help keep cost down.

Not quite. The new iPad does not have the same battery life as the iPad 2. For most things it is close, but if you look at some of the more detailed reviews it comes up way short. They also greatly increased the size of the battery to keep it close which also increased the weight. So then are you willing to live with a heavier MBP?

Ivy Bridge was released/shipped just last week. So why is it "ridiculous" that Apple hasn't shipped notebooks with retina resolutions yet? Which was what the original post said.

Again, not saying that won't this round, although I don't think they will. But the original post commented that it was ridiculous that they haven't yet.