13.3 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pianodude123, Jun 6, 2006.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Does anyone still think they are going to release a 13.3 inch Macbook Pro?

2. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Not anytime soon. If it does happen, it won't be for a LONG time. I mean the website is really pushing the "family is complete" angle

3. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Hmm...the thing is.

I really want a macbook pro, its just the 15 inch is too big and bulky.

4. 66217 Guest

I think you can consider the 13" MB (maxed out) to be Pro.
    I really don't think we would see any MB Pro 13".

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They've already said that the black MacBook is the machine for that spot. It's unlikely that they'll do anything else, especially since the 12 inch models were essentially the same machines.

6. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

You have to be kidding!! even maxed out the 13in cannot be considered pro. The one thing that makes that true is the fact that it has integrated graphics.

I am with the OP on this one. I wish there was a true 13in Pro laptop. I want to replace my iBook and iMac with a laptop but i dont really want a 15in cause i want to be able to carry it around on campus a lot. I know i would still be able to carry a 15in but it still comes down to size. And, i am not going to replace two computers (both with dedicated graphics) for a 13in laptop with integrated graphics. Ideally i would like to replace the iMac with a mini that will be hooked up to an LCD TV for DVD's and front row and the iBook will be replaces by a 13in Pro laptop.

I would be satisfied if they gave me the specs of the 15in in a 13in enclosure(of course alluminum).

I do beleive there is a market for a 13in Pro laptop. Heres to hoping apple releases one of these sooner rather then later.

7. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

8. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I'm with you guys. I think it's rediculous Apple has left such a gaping hole in their line-up. There is a real demand for a "pro" ultra-portable. Look at how well the 12" PB did, even though there was a 12" iBook, which was almost identical for the past year and a half.

I'm thinking Apple has something up their sleeve. Maybe something to compete with Sony's line of ultra-portables. I know I'm not buy anything new until I can get something no bigger than my current 12" PB, in "pro" trim.

9. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Putting 2 GB of RAM is about the closest you'll get to a 13 inch MacBook pro. Tests show more RAM really helps the integrated graphics handicap.

10. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

I think they should make the 1.83GHz and 2GHz MacBooks available in either black or white for no extra cost...or maybe like $49 at the most. Then, make the what is now the Black MacBook the 13" MBP with the MBP enclosure. I love the metal look to MBP's. :)

11. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

12. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

The integrated graphics is way better than the FX5200 card in the 12" PB.

Although the 12" PB was better than the 12" iBook, it was much worse than the 15" and 17" PB. Basically, Apple cut out the middle man. But the difference between the MB and the MBP is much less than the iB and PB.

13. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

So maybe one day they'll put better graphics in the MacBook. That would make it Pro enough for most people I think.

14. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Big, maybe... bulky, definititely not. I had a 14" iBook and was thinking about going with the MB as well but ultimately went with the 15" MBP. It really wasn't that much bigger than the iBook, an inch maybe in width but much thinner and I think it isn't as deep. The actual specs are one thing (dimensions) but the MBP is pretty easy to handle and doesn't really feel much bigger.

15. lasuther macrumors 6502a

If you think the 15" is too big and bulky, you probably aren't going to like the 13" either. I came from a 12" iBook, and I found the 13" to be about as big and bulky as the 15". Just 0.4 lbs and a couple of centimeters seperates the 13" and 15". For portability, the 13" isn't anything like the old 12" models.

As for a 13" MBPro, it doesn't make sence. If you want aluminum and a good graphics card, the 15" is what you need. If you need something small, Sony has some nice 10" machines.

I do miss the 12" size, but I love my new MacBook.

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

what professional applications are you using on a 13" notebook that need a better gpu?:confused:

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Exactly. The new graphics hardware isn't 3-5 years old and can handle a lot more. It's not perfect but it's better than it was.

I was reading an article on Digital Video Editing that said that a 2.0 GHz MacBook was about the same as a PowerMac dual 2.0 GHz G5 at video editing tasks. The MacBook is no slouch.

18. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

I like to play games when I'm on the run and I also work in photoshop and flash. I myself would really like to have a 13" macbook pro for when I'm on the run. I would use an external display when I'm at the house and if I had a high end 13" macbook pro I could sell my 20" imac and stick to one system.

19. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Just going by what Apple say ( http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook/ ) - "Meet the family. Now complete"
    It was what persuaded me not to wait for a 13" MBP any longer, cos it doesn't look like there'll be one.

20. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I am in college right now and i was planning on getting it so that i could have windows to run the Auto CAD and 3-D modeling programs i need for my engineering degree.

I know there are going to be some people that will say, "but you need the screen realestate for theat kinda stuff." Well that is waht they make external displays for. I jsut prefer to have a smaller laptop to take around, but i want you that can handel my CAD stuff.

21. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

College?:eek: I think it's back to remedial english for you! ;)

22. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Never said I was an english major!! ;)

23. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

i would have liked to have seen a 13" macbook pro.
    but since i HIGHLY doubt it will happen, i think the macbook is a damn fine computer. i like the white, but the black is just ohmygod sexy. and since i only use photoshop, and sometimes aperture. its just about perfect.

its just the right size for me right now as well, as i would be coming from a 17" powerbook. I am waiting for photoshop to be universal, then i will definitely get a macbook, and who knows, maybe by that point a rev B will be out and they will drop the price on the blacbook.