13.3" Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by broncoball, Oct 14, 2005.

1. broncoball macrumors regular

What do u think the chances of us seeing a 13.3" wide screan HD powerbook at the conference on the 19th?

2. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

I'm guessing not likely. Form Factor change right before Intel switch? It wouldnt be the first time, but we're talkin entirely different cooling issues. Unfortunately it really sounds like the 12" is gettin the shaft again. but here's to hoping im wrong...

3. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I think it is very possible. If you look on the apple site, the only apple model that doesn't have 3-5 days shipping is the 12 incher, which could mean that a new model is getting introduced, or that it isn't getting updated??

4. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I think most likely that it isn't getting updated at all.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Geez.....it's not happening, guys.

Why are they gonna dedicate time, money, and engineers, and possibly switch screen suppliers to get a 13.3" screen (only 1 or possibly 2 companies make 13" screens)??? They're switching to Intel. If there's a complete form factor overhaul for the 12", it'll be when they switch to Intel.

I'd love a 13" widescreen on a PB. That is #1 on my wishlist (which includes non-Apple stuff), but I'm realistic, and this isn't going to happen.

Just wait. You won't even have to wait until WWDC for these things to be introduced, although I doubt they'll be unveiled in January MWSF.

6. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

If they can the 12" and have no replacement small PB I will be sad. On that same note, if it is an updated 12" PB I will just keep mine as it does everything fine. However, if there is a widescreen 13" PB I will seriously have to consider getting one :D

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think it'd be good for Apple to release a 13 inch screen despite the probably impending form factor change when they go Intel. They need something to bump the PowerBooks back into the spotlight, especially the current baby of the range. It'd be perfect from a marketing perspective. The switch to Intel will be a big enough leap forward as is, I don't see why they can't have the larger screen now.

Of course, I doubt they'll release one soon anyway, but here's hoping. :p

8. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Plus if they update the form factor but leave the innards mostly the same now, then when the move to Intel chips happens it won't be as much for consumers to swallow. Unless they're looking to revamp the line through-and-through at that point, for maximum "wow factor".

I've always thought that 13, 15, 17 sounded like a good lineup for the PowerBooks, with 14, 12, and maybe even 10 for the iBooks. Just a pattern thing...

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I hope not. I am not a fan of a 13'' widescreen. I think the 12'' is better. I wouldn't complain about a higher res screen though.

10. broncoball thread starter macrumors regular

Whats not to like bout a 13 inch widescreen.

11. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I think a 13 inch widescreen would be a great seller maybe even take over the 15" as the most popular model...Here's to hoping,

Shadow

12. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If they dropped the 12-inch, for a 13-inch widescreen, I could certainly live with that. I just want something smaller than the 15-inch.

I don't see this coming out now though. Maybe we'll see this, in the first Intel Macs.

13. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

10.3" Widescreen PowerBook would be my dream come true. I only use my PowerBook for travel (meaning e-mail and writing docs in pages) so 10.3 would be incredible.

14. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Thats WAY too tiny for a Apple

15. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

If you don't want an optical drive.

16. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Why's that?

17. stefan15 macrumors regular

I have to agree. Can't help but noticing that 90% of the notebooks on campus are either macs, or 12-13" widescreens.

18. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

Just an idea, but if the PowerBook line moves to 13", 15", and 17" and the iBook line sits at 12" and 14", then a 10" iBook tablet would fit in rather nicely. Odd sizes for PowerBooks, even sizes for iBooks. Personally, a tablet iBook would do just as good a job in the living room as the new iMac would (albeit with a little less power).

Going to a 13" PowerBook would also end the long running debate over the advantages of the 12" PB over the 12" iBook. It would also make the entire PowerBook line widescreen. I don't know if there are any suppliers of 13" screen that can do HD (maybe at 480p or 720p but certainly not 1080p). If Apple can get all the PowerBooks to widescreen with some flavor of HD support (definintely 1080p for the 17"), then that would be amazing. I love my 15" PB, but an HD 13" might tempt me.

19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Too short. Wow great, I have all this extra space on the side, but I can only view 1/4 of a webpage or word doc. Thats awesome!

20. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

A decent 13" widescreen display would certainly have more vertical resolution than the current 12" PB or iBook. If you could live with a 12" model then the 13" would certainly be a step up. Plus, if you've ever used Photoshop you'd know that a little extra room on either side of your image is a good thing for all those palettes. A 13.3" WXGA display has 1280x800 pixels, rivaling the current 15" PowerBook's resolution. I've got a PB15 and I've got no complaints about screen size.

21. broncoball thread starter macrumors regular

Ok now we know the update, no 13 inch widescrean, so now i hav the delema of either buying the 12 inch which is kinda old technology or the 15 inch which has just been updated. my question is price aside is it worth it to go for the 15 and how portable is it?

22. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Get the 15". It kicks the 12"'s ass. seriously the 12" is a dog now.

23. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

I have the 12" and sadly, I agree with you. The screen on my PowerBook was nothing compared to my dad's 15" PowerBook which had a much brighter display, and now, it's a whole different ball game. My 12" compared to the screen of the 15" is just, incomparable. It's like comparing an iMac G5's screen to the 12" PowerBook... well, almost.

If Apple would have updated the 12" as they did the 15" and 17" today, I would have gotten the updated one.

24. broncoball thread starter macrumors regular

does anyone who ones the 12 inch think the screan is too small and that it is hard to read small text on it?

25. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think its fine. I love it because it's so darn portable. It would have been readable even with a resolution bump...