Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
If not then will it be powerful enough to process photo and video files as well as other hardware consuming applications?

If it doesn't, it will have a standard CPU rather than a ULV like the MBA so it will have more 'number crunching' ability, but if it doesn't have a GPU then it's just a heavier MBA with a retina display.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
If not then will it be powerful enough to process photo and video files as well as other hardware consuming applications?

Mostly likely yes. I'm not sure if any of the mainstream photo and video editing software out there take advantage of the extra power offered by discrete GPUs. Anyone here know if they do?

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
Overpriced SSD components?

Let's just face it -- Apple's upgrade pricing on the Retina models is ridiculous. Around $500 difference between 256 and 512GB SSD? That's RETAIL for an entire Samsung 512GB in its own 7mm casing. It's arguably even worse for the upgrade to 16GB of memory -- the price is equivalent to the entire 16GB, not the difference, and not wholesale but full retail, and not street, but list price.

If there is a smaller difference between base and upgrade on the 13 inch model, let's hope it's because Apple is finally coming around on these ridiculous markups. As things stand at present, better just to get the base model and use external storage.

briansolomon

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
This is definitely in line with what I paid for my high end iBook when I first went to college in 2004. It was $1800 with no sales tax. I had to upgrade Ram, 14" screen, Bluetooth, superdrive, can't remember if I had to add wifi. Everything now standard was BTO. A lot of people will balk at the price, but I think it's pretty reasonable.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
is Apple smoking crack...

Wow, for all those looking to snatch up a 13" rMBP Apple is making sure to take you to the bank on this configuration. Lame.

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
Mostly likely yes. I'm not sure if any of the mainstream photo and video editing software out there take advantage of the extra power offered by discrete GPUs. Anyone here know if they do?

Photoshop does, for zooming etc. Not sure how relevant, though. I had a 320m that did fine, despite only having half the power of the HD4000.

Whether you see an improvement or a deterioration probably depends on where you're coming from.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Do people realize that the specs shown in the first post are the specs of the current non-retina Macbook Pro?

The Captain

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008

Again. Not every pro has the same workflow.

Agreed, unfortunately Apple has been narrowing their focus to only the needs of a small few of the Pro market and disregarding all others.. Such as the 13 inch works for you, yet I need a 17 inch (I do on site edits with the client looking over my shoulder). So just like Final Cut X works well for some small amount pros workflows while not allowing for any others, the MacBook Pro line is now doing the same thing.

Apple used to give us the tools and flexibility we needed to do what works best for us and our clients individually, now they seem bent on telling us how we must work. Unfortunately my clients do not care what Apple says they should want and how they should work, and that's becoming a problem.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Does anyone think they'll kill the 13" normal screen models? It feels like they'll phase those out sooner or later since there's a overkill at the 13" size with Air, MBP, MBP Retina.

Also, both the Air and Retina will be thinner and lighter than the normal screen but also cheaper and more expensize? It just feels odd, like customers looking for cheaper or portable with go with Air, customers looking for performance and quality go with the Retina, and customer looking for slower and heavier for moderate cost?

It feels like they should intro the 13" Retina models at $1499/$1599 ... but those retina screens and SSDs aren't cheap.

And customers going for internal DVD player sticking with 13" Pro. I suspect that is the main reason why it is still the most popular Mac. Many people buy laptops not really for portability but so when they aren't using them they can put them away on a bookshelf. They rarely leave the house with them, but they want full capabilities and DVD player is part of that for them. I don't see Apple discontinuing it for at least a year.

----------

This is definitely in line with what I paid for my high end iBook when I first went to college in 2004. It was $1800 with no sales tax. I had to upgrade Ram, 14" screen, Bluetooth, superdrive, can't remember if I had to add wifi. Everything now standard was BTO. A lot of people will balk at the price, but I think it's pretty reasonable.

Keep in mind that we currently live in a world with a $250 Chromebook. Smaller, lighter, great battery life, and will surf the web and send your emails like a champ. Nothing like that build quality existed at that price back in 2004. I'm not saying the price isn't reasonable, just that it is much higher than other laptops on the market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.