Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Apple obviously believes the Intel 4000 can support the retina display just fine, the 15 inch retina pro is running on only the Intel 4000 most of the time.

It's never going to be a gaming powerhouse, but that's always been the case for the 13".

For web, spreadsheets, word proc and HD video playback, the Intel 4000 is just fine on the 15 inch and will be equally fine on the 13 inch.

Of course anyone wanting to buy one for the start of school may be out of luck, since this should outsell the 15-inch rMBP buy a wide margin and there's still a 3-4 week wait on those.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
hm... would be nice if they offered a quad-core option, 16gb ram, and some discrete graphics. that's just wishful thinking though :S

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
why? it can power external monitors and the built in just fine

The difference is that things are being scaled on the retina display ... so the cpu and gpu have to render the display elements on the fly which can be pretty taxing.

I imagine displaying extended resolutions is less taxing on the cpu and gpu since its a 1 to 1 pixel mapping.

AppleMad98004

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2011
Cylde Hill, WA
the price difference will probably quench the rage.

Great point. Given a massively more expensive machine those that bought the Mac Pro 13 will not feel so bad that they saved $600+. I am assuming a $1899 (4gb RAM 256GBSSD) starting price base given the 15 retina premium. I'm sure an 8GB with 512 will be in the mid to upper $2000's.

asd789789

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Frankfurt am Main
I'd rather love to see an updated Thunderbolt Display with higher resolution, discrete GPU, and USB 3.0 etc. for my mid 2011 13" base MBA...
As far as i understood the opportunities of Thunderbolt, this should be possible, right?

shaown

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Its also possible the 13 MBPr just couldn't perform w/o the release of ML - and they held it up for that. Of course its also possible the HD4000 is just lacks enough ooopmh - and we won't see the model released until Haswell.
Thanks,
-Shaown

chrissto

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
hm... would be nice if they offered a quad-core option, 16gb ram, and some discrete graphics. that's just wishful thinking though :S

Intel actually offers a mobile quad core cpu that also has only 35W TDP, the Core i7-3612QM. So maybe they put that one combined with 8gb of ram in the high end 13" retina?

I was wondering why Apple does not offer this cpu in the 13" MBP as a built to order option.

Anlino

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
I'd rather love to see an updated Thunderbolt Display with higher resolution, discrete GPU, and USB 3.0 etc. for my mid 2011 13" base MBA...
As far as i understood the opportunities of Thunderbolt, this should be possible, right?

It's possible, and it needs to happen. It would be the perfect marriage between power and portability.

saturn79

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
With the exclusion of an optical drive that takes up so much space in the current 13 inch MacBook Pro, Apple could possibly fit some sort of discrete GPU into the new 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro. Maybe not the Nvidia GT 650, but something like the GT 640 LE with lower heat output and energy requirements. It's pretty obvious that an Intel HD 4000 would struggle rendering animations and would BARELY be able to push out any sort of graphics at such high resolutions. The GT 650 is already being heavily exerted with the insane resolution of the 15 inch...

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I envision Apple including retina displays in all laptops between now and then (whenever that is). My gut feeling is it won't be too long at all. Especially since they've cleverly setup a scenario where nearly everyone believes it's the "Magic Display"... and are very willing to part with the handsome price Apple commands.

Currently the amount of momentum and success Apple's enjoying is one more reason to keep the upgrades rolling in and sell, sell, sell. The worlds greatest cash cow is cranking out sales like never before.

When one considers the soft economy, languishing under cloudy skies, there's no reason for Apple to gamble and wait. It's time to get this conversion done, sell all they can, and celebrate their accomplishment.

Apple tax is back, more lucrative than ever, even better is the fact that customers do not seem to be price sensitive. It's an amazing show to watch.

In the final analysis, no graph goes straight up in a perfect linear fashion. Apple's enjoyed a run of success, so strong for so long, that sooner or later they're bound to hiccup. And when they do, it may be more like a seizure than a hiccup. :eek:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
With the exclusion of an optical drive that takes up so much space in the current 13 inch MacBook Pro, Apple could possibly fit some sort of discrete GPU into the new 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro. Maybe not the Nvidia GT 650, but something like the GT 640 LE with lower heat output and energy requirements. It's pretty obvious that an Intel HD 4000 would struggle rendering animations and would BARELY be able to push out any sort of graphics at such high resolutions. The GT 650 is already being heavily exerted with the insane resolution of the 15 inch...

Wouldn't the retina resolution for the 13" be 2560x1600? I would think that is not too much for the HD4000 to handle.

DeltaRage

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
If this happens, surely Apple will kill off the current MBP next year when Haswell is released, and then possibly release a 15" Air, creating the following line-up:

11" MBA

13" MBA
13" rMBP

15" MBA
15" rMBP

Aodhan

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
I am continually surprised at how crazy popular the 13-inch MBPs are. I mean for me, the 15-inch is only just adequate, and I use it almost exclusively with an external monitor. The 13-inch seems so small. Also, without a discreet GPU, ouch.

Why do people love the 13-inch so much?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
If this happens, surely Apple will kill off the current MBP next year when Haswell is released, and then possibly release a 15" Air, creating the following line-up:

11" MBA

13" MBA
13" rMBP

15" MBA
15" rMBP

I think it will ultimately be

11" rMBA
13" rMBP
15" rMBP

----------

I am continually surprised at how crazy popular the 13-inch MBPs are. I mean for me, the 15-inch is only just adequate, and I use it almost exclusively with an external monitor. The 13-inch seems so small. Also, without a discreet GPU, ouch.

I prefer the size MUCH more than my 15in mbp at work

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I'd take any 13" in matte. My late '08 MacBook is annoyingly reflective. If the rMBP had a matte option I'd already have my order in for one.
You should seriously check out the current Air then. I also had a late 2008 MacBook with the hardcore glossy screen. I now have the 2012 13" Air and the screen is virtually reflection-free. It is "glossy", but not very reflective, and has an anti-reflective coating.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY

I prefer the size, I'd even go smaller if the specs are good enough. I will buy a retina MBP I want a 13 inch, if the GPU not a crap integrated one. If not I am going to end up buying a 15 inch rMBP.

Personally I can't believe so many people want 15, 17 or even larger laptops. Just like you can't believe people want smaller ones.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Agreed, I can see this easily costing 1600ish for the base model.

Now my personal debate is to either get the MBA now, or wait

Only $1600? I'd love that. Unfortunately, I seriously doubt it will be that low. The current Air with only 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD is already $1500. Throw in an i7 CPU and Retina display for $100 more? Unlikely.

I'm expecting this to start at $1799.

I am continually surprised at how crazy popular the 13-inch MBPs are. I mean for me, the 15-inch is only just adequate, and I use it almost exclusively with an external monitor.

Your lack of actually using the laptop as a laptop is why you don't see the problem. A 15" is relatively huge and heavy compared to a 13".

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Well ...
large_414t_10a80000502c1262.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.