13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Teardown Reveals Minor Improvements in Accessibility

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 25, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iFixit has already performed one of its traditional high-quality teardowns on the new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, noting that while those looking to repair their machines face many of the same challenges seen with the 15-inch model, there are a few changes that improve accessibility somewhat.

One of the most interesting changes relative to the larger model is a battery layout that leaves the area underneath the trackpad free of battery cells. In place of battery cells in that location, Apple has elected to mount the 13-inch model's flash storage, a move that allows access to the trackpad for replacement if necessary.

[​IMG]
    Another one of iFixit's major criticisms of the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro design was the glued-in battery cells that were found to be extremely difficult and time-consuming to remove without puncturing the cells. In the new 13-inch model, two of the six battery cells are housed in a metal tray that includes no adhesive, while the remaining four cells still required roughly 15 minutes of work to pry loose from the case.

[​IMG]
    The teardown of the 13-inch model otherwise yields few surprises compared to the larger 15-inch model, and the similar challenges of soldered RAM, proprietary screws, integrated display, and glued-in battery have led iFixit to award the 13-inch model a repairability score of 2 out of 10, one point higher than the 15-inch model.

Article Link: 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Teardown Reveals Minor Improvements in Accessibility

2. macrumors 6502

Applecare is the answer to all your problems. Might not like it but better option to save your expensive rMBP.

3. macrumors member

Yes, apple... please replace all connectors with the kitten connector!

4. macrumors regular

gregwyattjr

[​IMG]

5. macrumors member

6. macrumors 6502

This is the cost of fitting so much in such a small machine. The downside to technological evolution. To the average consumer it won't make a difference though.

7. macrumors 68030

needfx

Get rMBP - check
    Tear it down - check
    Put it back together - pending

8. macrumors 68000

Wonder why you can almost fit a 2.5" SSD in the stock location. Last minute design change?

9. macrumors 68040

KdParker

Seems pretty much the same for the 15 inch. Hello apple care!

10. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I will only go retina when there is a retina ACD to go with it. Otherwise, switching between a retina macbook and a non-retina ACD is painful.

also, photoshop.

11. macrumors 65832

kalsta

Now 100% more repairable!!*

*Than the 15-Inch Retina MacBook Pro

12. macrumors newbie

Mbp 13 retina VS MacBook Air 13

So now there's no more disc drives... Etc and they're lookin thin'n'fit...

Why exactly would one buy a MacBook Air over a MacBook Pro 13 inch???

Is there a difference anymore? What is the point of the MacBook airs now?

13. macrumors 68030

needfx

lolz

14. macrumors regular

Not sure why/if people were expecting anything different...It's literally the same thing as the 15" rMBP...

*with less parts, but that shouldn't, by default, make the assembly/disassembly any different.

15. macrumors 65832

kalsta

Funny you should say that. At first I wrote '200% more' and then I thought… hang on, it's 200% as repairable, making it 100% more repairable. Now it's up to the marketing guys to work out which one sounds better! ;)

Edit: As soon as I posted the above, I notice you removed your comment about it being 200%. I guess you came to the same realisation? :D

16. macrumors 65816

exactly..

I got no problems with it. My gaming pc that I had in the past was upgraded only once in the 4 years I owned it, and that was just adding another hard drive.

17. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Does iFixit ever take apart computers other than Macs? It seems like their obsessed with Apple.

18. macrumors 68030

needfx

I edited it because the percentile is in a grey area of syntax & math, so I let it be

:D

19. macrumors newbie

20. macrumors newbie

I wonder how de EU will react on the fact you cannot remove the battery yourself, according to EU directives this should be the case on all electronics.

21. justperry, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

macrumors 603

justperry

Repairability

iFixit 2/10 :rolleyes:

Apple 10/10

Directive is not Law.

Directive European Union

22. macrumors regular

Price. Now the Air is lower end parts (less speed, less ports, no retina). Apple compensates by charging less for it. Also, there is an 11-inch model, which I'm curious of its success. At $999, I'm sure it's successful, but is it enough to keep it around?

23. macrumors member

I still find amazing that ...

I still find amazing that you can not customize a 16GB RAM option on this thing ...

Even on the 15" rMBP i don't find any store selling a 16GB option (besides apple online store, of course).

24. macrumors regular

And this is who they're targeting. The 80%-90% of consumers that don't touch a computer after initial purchase. Everybody I know that has upgraded their RAM was only because I suggested it and helped find the right type for them. I myself would love to build another gaming PC from scratch and upgrade it periodically, but my laptops (aka MacBook Pro) I wouldn't touch...maybe :D ...now I'm wondering if I should take out my optical and switch it for a SSD...

25. macrumors 6502a

It also reveals minor capabilities as a "Pro"