Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I have a 2009 macbook and soon will also have a 2009 macbook pro.

The pro has a 2.53GHz and macbook is 2.26GHz but other than that think all but the same.

Should I stick with the white unibody of is it worth the slight speed gain to change?

I am not going to be major upset to not get sierra on the pro as worked great on my unibody but the battery gain is very nice in the white unibody but not a deal breaker.

I do not yet have the pro.
I am wanting advice and findings from you guys.

Im thinking of swapping optical for second hdd in the unibody but not want do it if the pro is better option.

Any input would be useful guys.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I have a 2009 macbook and soon will also have a 2009 macbook pro.

The pro has a 2.53GHz and macbook is 2.26GHz but other than that think all but the same.

Should I stick with the white unibody of is it worth the slight speed gain to change?

I am not going to be major upset to not get sierra on the pro as worked great on my unibody but the battery gain is very nice in the white unibody but not a deal breaker.

I do not yet have the pro.
I am wanting advice and findings from you guys.

Im thinking of swapping optical for second hdd in the unibody but not want do it if the pro is better option.

Any input would be useful guys.

At that age it's the body that's the main consideration those white polycarbonate ones split and get shabby over time the pro with its aluminium is great for a long time if you don't drop it.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
My white unibody has only one very small crack by power button going towards the hinge, it's about 10mm long.

Even the rubber bottom has no peeling and looks brand new!
The keys and body has started to go a slight brownish colour now.

My screen has two scratches in it but I knew about them when bought it, not too noticeable and not very deep.

I now have a case around the laptop and silicone keyboard cover.

I like the white machine but the pro with black keys might hide the dirt longer, lol

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
My white unibody has only one very small crack by power button going towards the hinge, it's about 10mm long.

Even the rubber bottom has no peeling and looks brand new!
The keys and body has started to go a slight brownish colour now.

My screen has two scratches in it but I knew about them when bought it, not too noticeable and not very deep.

I now have a case around the laptop and silicone keyboard cover.

I like the white machine but the pro with black keys might hide the dirt longer, lol

The screens in the pro was a bit better and lasted better as well.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
Thanks.

I think I will run them side by side for a day or so see how I get on.

The pro Im getting has a 120GB ssd so speeds should be comparible.
Bar mine is sierra and 8GB ram, pro is el cap and 4GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.