13" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mindgame, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Mindgame macrumors newbie

Any hope for a 13" MacBook Pro in the semi-near future? I've spoken to a couple different people at the Apple Store and they claim that this will "never" happen. I'm inclined to disbelieve them, because Apple always seems to come through with better models in smaller packages, however, the PowerBook G5 never materialized. Any thoughts?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm thinking "not likely".
    I suspect they will always point to the MB as the model to fit this niche.

3. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The difficulty is differentiating it from the MacBook, and making it all fit. Graphics card and expressCard slot are really the only big differences between the computers other than screen size, at this point.

Some have speculated that the black MacBook will evolve into the smaller pro laptop, having more extra to offer than just color.

i strongly doubt it! If anything their black macbook is supposed to be like the replacement for the 12" powerbook. So not gonna happen. I could possibly see them making the black macbook with dedicated graphics in the future.. :)

6. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

And design - which is a huge deal to Apple buyers (remember, Apple charges a whopping 150 dollar premium on its black Macbook machine) - and, although not a huge feature, the backlit keyboard is nice as well :)

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Absolutely true. I suppose different case, 10% faster processor, and bigger HD would be enough for some people to shell out an extra $400 or so. I am not one of those people, but I do know a few. :)

8. Mindgame thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I have had a 12" Powerbook G4 (1GHZ, 1.25 GB) for the past 2 1/2 years and absolutely love the size. It has never given me any problems. However, I am working on a very big video project right now (lots of short 5 second clips, slo-mo, effects) and I keep dropping frames upon playback. I have tried all of the suggestions by people on Mac boards, DV editing boards, and the Apple Store and while some of the changes I have made have helped a little, I still can't watch the project all the way through. It will be impossible to have confidence in the final movie (or to dump it to tape) without the ability to do this. Most now think I need to get a faster computer. I, of course like the Pro (for the video card and sturdy case), but I don't know about the 15.4" body. I travel a lot and the 12" is perfect for airplane tray tables. And I'm not sure that the regular MacBook will be so much better than my current set-up that it's worth a $1500 investment...

9. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Not sure, but if Apple values the opinions of the 12 of us who post every time a thread identical to this one gets started, maybe it will happen!

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

AFAIK, and I know very little on video editing, the only program that uses the graphics card is motion, so a Macbook should do fine. It should certainly be good enough for playback of the footage.

11. Inspace macrumors newbie

I'm also a Powerbook G4 12" user who has been waiting for either a more powerful Macbook with a *matte* screen or a small MacBook Pro. And its only an 867!

A couple of months ago I wrote a letter to Apple explaining why I won't buy either the MBP or the Black Book. They definetely care, because I got a personal phone call! I felt honoured. They asked me to explain exactly what I was looking for and told me that although they couldn't tell me what Apple's plans for the future were, they would create a case file with my comments.

I felt important.

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Wow, that's pretty cool of Apple. Usually you'd expect letters like yours to go unanswered/unacknowledged.. but it's pretty neat that yours wasn't. I'm sure it's some kind of self-serving market study to find out how people are receiving the new lines and what they could to sell more, but still.

13. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

You are forgetting the dedicated graphics card - that's the biggest deal breaker.

Not to mention the possibility of offering either matte/glossy screens and even a higher-resolution display (even if it retained the 13.3" diagonal size).

Certainly not HUGE factors - but combined, they might push someone into paying an extra 300 bucks (a $1799 13.3" Macbook Pro)

14. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I'd seriously consider a Macbook if it had a matte screen. I'd be all over it if it had dedicated graphics!

15. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Probably not. I actually wouldn't like it if they did.

16. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

I was hoping for a 13in MBP, but its not going to happen. I am probably going to get a MBP very soon

17. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Have used the MacBook glossy side by side a MacBook Pro matte the Glossy is really nice and not all that bad in the sun, personally is wish I had the glossy...

18. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

I'd also (eventually) pay the black tax for a matte Macbook (and I have looked at them both, even 'nicer' glossy is still glossy), but until then I'd have to look at the MBP. (Which is, presumably, the idea on Apple's part.)

19. Trippy Jr macrumors member

Very unlikely.

The 12" Powerbook did not sell well, it was a very small market for that. Most professionals are going to need, or at least want a 15" screen or more. This is pretty clearly evidenced in Apple not having introduced a sub 15" MBP at this point, even after a 17". They wouldn't miss out on such a market for so long.

Anybody wanting such an "ultra portable" will be going for the Macbook. There's very little you could do to make a 13.3" MBP different from a MB: I doubt they could even cram in a backlit keyboard, Lord knows they couldn't on the 12". I also suspect they'd have trouble fitting in a half decent GPU, or anything to really give it "zip" over a MB.

20. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Eh? I thought that it was one of the better selling Apple notebooks?

Yeah I've seen the glossy too. It just doesn't appeal to me. I'm old, stuck in my ways, that sort of thing. :p

Seriously though, I do quite a bit of photography/graphic design stuff, so I don't know if I'd want the extra color saturation of a glossy. (I don't feel like getting an external monitor) I'm also sloppy and my idea of cleaning a screen is licking my finger and smudging the dirt around. The glossy screen would be ruined in a day.

21. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

the 13 inch macbook is essentially a mbp. The only thing that's different is the lack of dedicated GPU and expresscard slot on the MB. The GMA 950 is better than what the 12 inch Powerbook offered and the 12 inch PB never offered an expresscard. The 13 inch macbook pro is already here!

22. emotistically macrumors member

Typically if you need the power of a macbook pro you are going to want to use a larger screen. I am on a macbook and I would not pay extra money for a graphics card and where would they put the express card slot?

23. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

It's here! The MB only lacks a dedicated GPU and ExpressCard slot. The 12" PB's GeForce Go5200FX 64 MB DRR is inferior to the GMA/950, and neither did the 12" PB offer an expansion slot. It'd be nice with a 13" alu. enclosure, but white/black is just as cool;)

BTW, there's been like 400 threads on this. Search the forums with MRoogle (see sig):D

24. Mindgame thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, sounds like I will go with the 13" 2.0 GHZ MB. However, I'm going to wait until next week to see if the Merom chip comes out before making my purchase. Thank you everyone for your feedback.

25. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

With the C2D MacBooks and MacBook Pros released, I thought it was time to bring this thread back. I want a small, portable laptop without Intel dedicated graphics. I don't care if it's black, white, or aluminum; $1099 or $2500. I just wan't it to be 12-13" and relatively uncompromising on features. With the current MacBooks, one can't present a video clip on a second display Powerpoint demonstration without risking choppy video. Why should I have to lug around a 15" to get this ability?