Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcspeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Texas
So I was lucky to get a new MBA for Christmas, and I got the Incipio Feather case to go with it. Normally I love Incipio products, but this one has me baffled, its very snug, to the point you can barely take it back off, and then the front clips dont seem to take hold well. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions of other cases? The only reason is that I got a nice scratch on my 2008 MBP and that bugged me every time I opened it.

JimWPVB

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2012
WF Bags

I recently got Water Field Smart Case for my 13" MBA. It does a great job of protecting the laptop, without bulk. I could not be more pleased.

Nimravus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
Irony

So I always think about getting a case for my MBA, but I don't for 2 reasons. Heat retention and I don't want to cover up the beauty that I am trying to protect. I mean, yeah a scratch would bug me... But I'm covering up what I'm trying to protect so I can't see the beauty to begin with anyway. If that logic makes sense. Kinda like getting a beautiful iPhone and the first thing people do is cover it up.

Imagine if people got nice shiny cars and immediately covered it up with body masks like you see the spy photos. Lol.

So, $1000+ for an MBA (mine was $1499), I just can't cover it up with a cheap $50 case. And I just don't want the heat retention properties of a snug case. So I just go commando and carry it around in a sleeve instead. There are lots of beautiful sleeve options for your MBA. Just a thought...

jacob-07

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
I used to have a speck case for my air, but decided to change it because it just didn't feel right and whenever I took off the case it felt like I was going to rip my MacBook apart. I'm now using a wrapsol and I love it. Wrapsol adds relatively no weight to the air and provides the same look as if it were naked while protecting it from scratches. I also put it in a sleeve when it's not being used.

mototriu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2012
So I was lucky to get a new MBA for Christmas, and I got the Incipio Feather case to go with it. Normally I love Incipio products, but this one has me baffled, its very snug, to the point you can barely take it back off, and then the front clips dont seem to take hold well. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions of other cases? The only reason is that I got a nice scratch on my 2008 MBP and that bugged me every time I opened it.

I also got a macbook air for christmas and I also (unfortunately) purchased the same case as you. I heard that the speck satin see through case is good, if you don't want that there is also a speck see through case.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I love my BookBook from Twelve South. It feels nice and looks neat. It can be a bit irritating sometimes, but it's worth it for me.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
How do you like your moshi, is it easy to install/remove? No fears of breakage?

I could not be happier...I like the rubbery texture, it does not change the appearance of the MBA, it does not scratch, it protects the MBA, it is easy to put on / take off, etc.

I suggest you get one as you will not be disappointed.

Joel

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I love my BookBook from Twelve South. It feels nice and looks neat. It can be a bit irritating sometimes, but it's worth it for me.

Echo DJLC's thoughts. I have the Book Book for both my Airs as well as my iPad3. Love it for it's ease of use, protection offered, and stealth appearance.

http://twelvesouth.com/products/BookBook_for_Air/

I have looked at the BookBook products and must say I think they are very attractive and quite classy. If I ever thought that I needed a cover for my MBA, this is the one which I would buy.

Personally, I don't have a cover on my MBA; the thing is made from aluminium, (rather than the plastic of other models which I had in the past) and is both sturdy and designed to be used. However, when travelling, I put it in a padded A4 envelope which then rests snugly in a compartment of my elegant, neat Italian leather briefcase.

EthanMiller

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
I've always really like the Air without anything on it. Still, traveling I wanted a bit more protection for it. So I got a Speck sleeve (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LWN3R0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00), and so far I've really liked it.

Funny story - Before I got the sleeve, I had a canvas bag I used. The Air was sharp enough to wear a hole in the bag. (The bag was replaced under warrantee.)

The plastic cases I've always felt were overpriced and didn't actually do anything positive. My opinion.

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
Please do. I'm thinking on getting one for my incoming MBA.

Received my Moshi case today. Bottom line: The case is nothing short of fantastic. The fit is simply perfect... fits very securely on the Air without feeling like you're going to break (or scratch) the machine getting it on. The lid fits a bit tighter (took a little more force to 'pop' the edges over the lid edge) but as I said, fits beautifully. The finish is very nice... I actually feel a little more secure holding/carrying the computer. It does not add very much thickness at all and just feels... correct on this machine. Excellent fit and finish, the opacity is nice... couldn't be happier!

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
I love the look of my MBA and didnt want to cover it up, but thinking about resell value and looking at scratches everyday, I went with the Zagg Invisible Shield, had it installed at my local mall, I am really happy with it, only down side is it doesnt protect well against dings/dents. Have 1 dent in the top of my MBA.

----------

So I always think about getting a case for my MBA, but I don't for 2 reasons. Heat retention and I don't want to cover up the beauty that I am trying to protect. I mean, yeah a scratch would bug me... But I'm covering up what I'm trying to protect so I can't see the beauty to begin with anyway. If that logic makes sense. Kinda like getting a beautiful iPhone and the first thing people do is cover it up.

Imagine if people got nice shiny cars and immediately covered it up with body masks like you see the spy photos. Lol.

So, $1000+ for an MBA (mine was $1499), I just can't cover it up with a cheap $50 case. And I just don't want the heat retention properties of a snug case. So I just go commando and carry it around in a sleeve instead. There are lots of beautiful sleeve options for your MBA. Just a thought...
You might want to get a Zagg Invisible Shield. or the SGP version of it with Matte finish.

Severum

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
Wareham, Dorset
I bought one of these for my 2012 Macbook Air: EasyAcc 13.3 inch Laptop Ultrabook Leather Sleeve Carry Case Cover for Apple Macbook Air 13.3. The only issue being that it was not real leather, but fits the Air very well.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
I have this on my 11" MBA. Fits well and protects great. Not the highest quality, but at the price I'm more then happy.

http://www.amazon.com/TopCase-Rubberized-Cover-11-Inch-Macbook/dp/B007TA1YNQ/ref=pd_sbs_e_1

A237BD56-C2DF-4036-985F-638EF34B4672-633-0000002E54D511E1.jpg

E6F1B9C9-3F74-4F27-B352-8CAAE0DC0A46-633-0000002E5B430975.jpg

19B3F86A-51B6-491D-ACB5-D985318A1FA0-633-0000002E60BF1325.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.