Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
Has anyone else had an issue with the touchpad on the new MBP? With 3 finger drag, it rarely engages and I have to press to click, hold, drag (which I hate). It's not my fingers. It works fine on my 12" MBr and my Magic Trackpad (with this MBP, so it's enabled) that I've had for year. Also works on my old 2012 MBA and my wife's old 2010 MBP as well. This is driving me nuts. Anyone else? Any suggestions?

It seems like the surface is different. It feels a little more coarse than the 12" which is buttery smooth. The same on the external trackpad.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
I am having the same issue. I first turned on the three finger drag in accessibility, then I tried it and it didn't work. I figured I didn't properly select the option in the setting dropdown, so I went back. Turns out I changed the setting correctly and the drag just wasn't working well. For me, I'd say it works 70% of the time. Very annoying.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
I am having the same issue. I first turned on the three finger drag in accessibility, then I tried it and it didn't work. I figured I didn't properly select the option in the setting dropdown, so I went back. Turns out I changed the setting correctly and the drag just wasn't working well. For me, I'd say it works 70% of the time. Very annoying.

Glad to know it's not my imagination!

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
Yep, it's bugged, but I don't hear a lot of uproar. I guess Apple wants to get rid of it eventually. I always thought 3 finger drag was the pinnacle of laptop navigation.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
It's being actively discussed in a couple of other threads. I'm with you...I dins 3-finger drag to be extremely useful and it is a big part of my workflow. Hopefully a fix will come in the form of a software update. If you haven't done so already, please make Apple aware of the issue. Cheers...

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
If you haven't done so already, please make Apple aware of the issue. Cheers...

Done. I AM returning my MBP as it's a hassle to use without this feature. I put that in the report as well. It's just unacceptable. I've also had a few scrolling issues as well. Since it's the MAIN interaction with the Mac, it's not usable if its not reliable.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Done. I AM returning my MBP as it's a hassle to use without this feature. I put that in the report as well. It's just unacceptable. I've also had a few scrolling issues as well. Since it's the MAIN interaction with the Mac, it's not usable if its not reliable.

I assume you don't want to wait for a software update? If you don't' like it, you should definitely return it...but a fix might not be too far away.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
I assume you don't want to wait for a software update? If you don't' like it, you should definitely return it...but a fix might not be too far away.

I've got other issues with it, this was just the last straw. Ex., when running Lightroom 6 it's very choppy, pegs the CPU big time, etc. and it runs just fine on my old 2012 i7 mini. LOL, LR runs just as well on my MacBook retina as it does on the MBP and that's one of the main reasons I got it, to upgrade from the MBr.....guess I'll wait for the fix and then go high end 13" or the base 15".

IndigoDesign

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
I've got other issues with it, this was just the last straw. Ex., when running Lightroom 6 it's very choppy, pegs the CPU big time, etc. and it runs just fine on my old 2012 i7 mini. LOL, LR runs just as well on my MacBook retina as it does on the MBP and that's one of the main reasons I got it, to upgrade from the MBr.....guess I'll wait for the fix and then go high end 13" or the base 15".

I'm also running the legendary mac mini late 2012.
Best Apple value/money there ever was.
Those were the good times.

Never going to get rid of it.

paslax

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Same issue. Three finger drag is intermittent on 2016 13" MBP Touch Bar. Works flawlessly on my 2011 MBA.

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
It is working flawlessly for me on new 13" noTouch ... Delete .plist with settings usually it helps -google for specifics but settings are here: ~/Library/Preferences/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.