Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcacd001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Hi so my 2012 MBA 128gb ssd died (it was the toshiba) and i do not want to put any more money into this MBA. Fortunately my brother has an 11' MBA 2012 with a 64 gb ssd. Does anyone know if his SSD would work inside my 13'? its the same year. My only concern was that Apple never released a 13' model with 64 gb ssd (the lowest you could buy was 128gb) ... Anyone know if this switch would work? I think it is completely standard and would work but of course I went to the apple store just to confirm and the apple "genius" started getting hissy and said "oh we dont support that and cant tell you".. Anyone can give me clarity on this? ... Another piece of evidence i think that would help my cause is that a 128gb ssd upgrade was avail for an 11' that year.

any input would be appreciated,
thanks!

fatefulwhisper

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
it will work, as long as they are definitely from the same year. What I'm wondering though is if your macbook is still under warranty; if it is, you could get the ssd (or the even the laptop) replaced due to faulty hardware

pcacd001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
thanks guys, yes both are mid 2012. just porting an ssd (64gb) from an 11'' into a 13"... I dont have applecare and the warranty ran out last month. go figure.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Sorry, I read your post wrong. If they both are of the same generation and are identified as 5,1 or 5,2 you should be golden.

But, if the warranty just expired, I'd certainly make a stink with Apple.

Lou

pcacd001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
I did make an issue but it wasn't going to happen I was told. Also when I was dealing with those geniuses (no pun intended), they got their panties in such a twist when you mention anything about doing something that "doesnt support what Apple does " ie opening up the MBA and installing an ssd yourself.. The cost for labor for them to send it in was going to be 320$+ Although i lose about half my original ssd space, I spend 0$ with this fix and end up doing it myself. Problem solved. thanks for the info everyone.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Have the 11-inch SSDs not been experiencing the failure rate of the 13-inch ones? And why doesn't your brother need or want his MBA anymore?

pcacd001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
i have no idea about the failure rate of the 11' to the 13'' models. I just needed a quick and cheapest fix because of upcoming exams on saturday. but my brother is 12 and does not care for a macbook air when he has an ipad.Eventually I will put my dead SSD inside his 11' MBA because I just discovered it has applecare on it. Then i will take it to apple and have them take care of it. After that I will once again switch the SSD back to mine and vice versa... lol i guess i should start a thread on switching SSD's and taking them to applecare with someone elses computer?

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
i have no idea about the failure rate of the 11' to the 13'' models. I just needed a quick and cheapest fix because of upcoming exams on saturday. but my brother is 12 and does not care for a macbook air when he has an ipad.Eventually I will put my dead SSD inside his 11' MBA because I just discovered it has applecare on it. Then i will take it to apple and have them take care of it. After that I will once again switch the SSD back to mine and vice versa... lol i guess i should start a thread on switching SSD's and taking them to applecare with someone elses computer?

Won't work. Each serial number is tied to the configuration it shipped with and since there are zero supported upgrades to the macbook air, even an official 256gb ssd inside an 11" air won't be supported if that ssd did not ship with that specific air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.