$130 subscription a year for Panther?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by mgargan1, Nov 5, 2003.

1. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I have a friend who told me that he read that Apple is going to charge $129 a year to keep all the updates for Panther, is there any truth to this? If there is, i will be really disapointed, and kinda upset too... I'm dunno if he was just kidding, cause I do work at a PC store, (to be unnamed), and I am made fun of cause I'm a mac user, but he didn't seem to be kidding.

2. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

Re: $130 subscription a year for Panther?

Can you ask him where he read that Apple is going to charge $129 a year to keep all the updates for Panther? I would like to read that for myself. Thanx.

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

BS

Maybe he is just alluding to the fact that OS X gets a major update each year (so far), and we pay $129 to upgrade. This would go along with the prevailing opinion among uninformed PC folks who think 10.2 -> 10.3 is a "minor" revision because the "10" didn't change. Or perhaps they figure since MS can't update their OS more frequently than 3 years or so, that it would be impossible for Apple to do so every 15 months.

4. leet1 macrumors 6502

Dang, I dont think theres ever been a thread that hasn't had the words microsoft, ms, or windows it it, lol.

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Re: Re: $130 subscription a year for Panther?

Do you have to quote the entire thing specially when you are the first one in doing a reply?

6. Macco macrumors regular

Not only will this not happen, but it would be illegal for Apple to charge you to keep your software. The software was licensed to you under specific terms, and unless you were to sign a document allowing Apple to change those terms, they can't change the license. And I'm pretty sure we would have heard by now if someone had found something in the license allowing Apple to take away your software.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: $130 subscription a year for Panther?

Apple has some "Software Maintenance" Programs available for Final Cut, Keynote, Mac OS X, Mac OS X Server and Sountrack...

Still up to a company to opt in, or out. And you need to buy at least 10 seats.

8. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Steve Jobs, i believe, said that OS X is the OS for the next 15 years. If that's the case....what happens after they get to 10.9? That makes me think that maybe the trend of a major update per year is not as likely to continue as previously thought. I think Panther was a slightly different update than Jaguar, in that it has more of a sense of wholeness than Jaguar did. Perhaps, because of that reason, major revisions will begin to slow down a bit. Or if not now, certainly by 10.4.

9. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

What's the problem with 10.10, 10.11 and 10.12?!...

There is no spoon ... ehm ... problem here. After 10.9 comes 10.10 and then 10.11 and 10.12. What's the big deal there? It's not like the OS version-numbering scheme is decimal or something. Or is it?!

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with those 'weird' OS version-numbers. Would you?

10. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Say "10.11" out loud. Doesn't really roll off the tongue does it? Knowing Apple, they wouldn't like that.

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure the person must've been referring, intentionally or not, to the fact that Apple is apparently only issuing continuing updates (security, mostly) to the current version (or maybe one past) of OSX--10.1 users, so far as I know, aren't getting any security updates, though to be honest I'm not positive they need any, either.

That would indirecly imply you'll have to pay Apple $130 a year for ongoing security fixes, so to speak, even if that's not technically what's going on, which is what mgargan1 said.

And since we're bringing MS into this, how about their charging people $10 a month to use IE version 6 on the Mac? Not much cheaper than Apple's OS upgrades, and you can't keep using whatever you've got if you stop paying for it. To a degree, you could say the same about .Mac, but in any case Apple couldn't switch to a monthly/annual licencing aggreement for existing users, but if you start it that way from the begining....