Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The legal battle between Samsung and Apple has going on around the world with Apple claiming that Samsung had "slavishly" copied the iPad design. Apple and Samsung have traded lawsuits in a number of countries trying to get each other's products banned from sale.

Outside of the lawsuits, Samsung has been aggressive with their recent set of U.S. TV ads openly mocking iPhone users.

Their newest Korean ad, however, seems to take cues from Apple's own advertising style, focusing on a more emotional connection with the viewer.

The ad depicts a father and daughter playing with a Galaxy Tab in a sequence of shots reminiscent of Apple's own iPad ads. The voice over says (rough translation):
You try to have fun with me, you try to win against me, you ask me millions of questions, you sit on my lap, you want to stay beside me all the time, strangely, when I stay with you time passes very quickly. This is a precious time.
The ad was posted to YouTube on December 14th. For reference, Apple's own ads have long followed a similar style, focusing on experience than specs: We'll Always, Love, and Learn. While Apple doesn't have an exclusive claim to this style of ad, it just shows how Samsung is trying to position their products comparably to Apple.

The song in the background of the ad is Blue Sky by Rabbit!

Article Link: Samsung's New Galaxy Tab TV Ad Feels a Lot Like an Apple iPad Ad

Last edited by a moderator:

forcesteeler

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Damn do Companys even try anymore.

I Guess everybody has gotten fat and lazy, Lets just copy what apples does.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Slow news day?

All the Galaxy Tab commercials since 2.010 has been about connection with the viewer more than specs.

But yes, Apple has a patent on this type of ads and, even, every type of ads :eek:

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
My question is; why do people care?!

It's just an advertisement. Samsung's probably poking fun again.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I have to admit....samsung and so many of the other tablet makers have TOTALLY copied the look and style of Apple's ipad hardware and software. Its really obvious just looking at this commercial. Personally the style of the commercial doesnt bother me. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery as they say, so if i were Apple, i wouldn't be too upset.

Apple is dominating the tablet market just like they did with the mp3/ipod market. I seriously doubt anyone can catch them at this point.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Since when is "focusing on an emotional connection with the viewer" "Apple's" style? Did they patent that too?

Just look at the old iPod commercials, the iPad commercials, the iPhone commercials. Apple doesn't broadcast their specs like most tech companies do. They try to embody the style and use of the products in a more human way.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why does the Korean ad feature American-looking people? With English books?

vsighi

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
Samsung Lawyer Can't Distinguish Between Apple iPad and Galaxy Tab

What an uncomfortable moment for Samsung at its court hearing with Apple on Thursday. Fielding questions from U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh, Samsung attorney Kathleen Sullivan was asked if she could distinguish between Apple’s iPad and Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 10.1, which Koh held up for all the court to see.
Her reply as first reported by Reuters? “Not at this distance, your honor.”
Not at this distance, your honor.
Not the greatest answer in a case in which the defendant stands accused of “slavishly” copying a rival’s designs. More so, since Sullivan was standing just ten feet away from the devices she was asked to identify.
Thankfully, one of her colleagues was able to come to her rescue, but only after this plea from Koh.
“Can any of Samsung’s lawyers tell me which one is Samsung and which one is Apple?”
Not a good day in court for Samsung.

But again, I do like my SAMSUNG big screen LED LCD 120Hz 3D :cool:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why does the Korean ad feature American-looking people? With English books?

that did strike me as strange. Maybe we'll see the ad in the U.S. with a different voiceover.

arn

soundbwoy

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Next time someone say Apple should stop suing and innovate more should really stop and look at this commercial. It seems the only company actually innovating 'IS' Apple.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Arn - if you want to lose me as a reader, continue posting articles like this. I don't come here to read opinionated nonsense and believe it or not I also don't come here to find out what Samsung is doing.

At the top of the page it says "news and rumors you care about" - try living up to your own slogan.

All the advert shows is people using the product, like almost any other TV advert.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Except for the Korean, I think most people will think it is just another Apple commercial and tune out. Samsung is just advertising for Apple now.

Tinyluph

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
Is it just me or does that commercial make the device look like a toy for children? Granted, I don't know what the narrator is saying, but the little girl even leaves it on a bookcase filled with children's books at the end.

Seems like a far cry from Apple's advertisements.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Like the idea, good way to show off the moments in life that we are supposed to be using technology for :)

Beats those idiotic Driod commercials about the phone ruling the world, voiced by some guy that's obviously in need of some fiber

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.