Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_store_aix.jpg

ifoAppleStore reports on an article from French magazine Aix en Dialogue noting that Apple is preparing to build an interesting new store in Aix-en-Provence, France. While the store appears to be a relatively small one by Apple's standards, the striking design sees the store set back on a plaza and constructed almost entirely of transparent glass with the exception of the rear wall hiding the back-of-house operations.
According to AixEnProvence.fr magazine, the current tired-looking tourism office on the south side of Place du General de Gaulle will be demolished and the Apple store will be constructed at the site. A rendering posted by the magazine shows a one-level structure set back on a broad stone plaza, with a tan-colored rear wall, and all other encompassing walls made of glass. A second rendering shows the store is an extension of a design roughly based on the Upper West Side (NYC) store.
Reports indicate that the new store, which is also depicted with a low-profile fountain on the plaza, could open by late 2012 or early 2013.

Meanwhile, Macprime.ch reports [Google translation] that it has obtained access to Apple's plans for its first retail store in Basel, Switzerland. The company recently revised its plans for the store to meet the requirements of planning officials, and with the current tenant having vacated the location late last year Apple is nearly ready to begin construction on the new store, which would be the company's fourth in Switzerland.

apple_store_basel_plans.jpg

The two-level sales floor of the forthcoming store measures in at a modest 460 square meters (close to 5,000 square feet), with a nearly equal amount of space dedicated to back-of-house operations such as storage and a conference room, as well as building systems. Schematics for the store show a staircase in the rear of the store for moving between the two sales floors, with the ground floor hosting twelve display tables and the next level hosting several other display tables and what appear to be a pair of 12-seat Genius Bars.

Given that Apple will be tearing down the current building to construct the new Basel store, the location is unlikely to open until 2013.

Article Link: Apple Moving Forward with New Retail Stores in France and Switzerland

Basleeuwen

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
Apple Store Amsterdam

Don't forget the first Apple Store in The Netherlands that will open march this year in Amsterdam! :cool:

Themaeds

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Can't believe they are tearing down a cherished landmark for a crummy retail store. SMH

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
That is an impressive looking building. Visually pleasing :)

I can't think of a lot of companies who would put that much effort into their store fronts :eek:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
And all demand-driven.

I'd mostly disagree, they want to increase their presence to drive up demand further, if they wanted to truly cope with demand they'd simply just build more factories or get more companies producing parts for them.

Steve Jobs admits in his biography that Apple Stores are how Apple gets noticed in the eye of the public. They are places where people can look and touch and play with the products before they buy. Where they feel they can take things back if a problem arises. Where they can talk face to face with someone who knows about the products.

When it comes to computers, how often do they stock the exact model that you require? Stores often serve as another channel to place an order online after trying that type of Mac.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That all-glass store amazes me.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
They still don't have stores in all states. Ridiculous. They should at least open up some smaller token-stores in those states they deem unworthy. I think Apple would be surprised at the markets they have still not plundered because they assumed people in certain areas don't buy their products.

tom613

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
finally

an apple store in my home town. finally...there's only one in zurich (maybe 2, I don't know) and we have here "only" premium reseller stores...I wonder where this would be exactly.

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Come on Dublin can't be that long away every other major city in Europe has one.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Can't believe they are tearing down a cherished landmark for a crummy retail store. SMH

Which building (or portion of it) are they planning on tearing down? I did a google earth walkthrough of the area and can't exactly find what they are talking about.

Not all of the buildings in that square appear to be that old.

Denz3366

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
an apple store in my home town. finally...there's only one in zurich (maybe 2, I don't know) and we have here "only" premium reseller stores...I wonder where this would be exactly.

There are two in Zurich, one on Bahnhofstrasse and one at Glattzentrum. There is also one in Geneva, I believe..

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
I'd mostly disagree, they want to increase their presence to drive up demand further, if they wanted to truly cope with demand they'd simply just build more factories or get more companies producing parts for them.

Steve Jobs admits in his biography that Apple Stores are how Apple gets noticed in the eye of the public. They are places where people can look and touch and play with the products before they buy. Where they feel they can take things back if a problem arises. Where they can talk face to face with someone who knows about the products.

When it comes to computers, how often do they stock the exact model that you require? Stores often serve as another channel to place an order online after trying that type of Mac.

If you follow ifoAppleStore and corporate releases, releases from Ron Johnson, before he left, and other spokespeople, you might be surprised. Check with sales figures store to store after opening, impact on existing resellers.
When you say ", how often do they stock the exact model that you require?" I'm not sure where you live or shop, but in every store I go to, they have more than enough models to satisfy most consumer demands.

----------

Also did some long distance searching but came up with nothing. What cherished landmark are you referring to?

Cg313

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
In place of an old tourism office.. This company.. some of the things they design & create.. Genius.

cb.schweiz

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2012
Apple store in Basel - Switzerland

That's more than welcome in the main shopping street of downtown Basel.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
If you follow ifoAppleStore and corporate releases, releases from Ron Johnson, before he left, and other spokespeople, you might be surprised. Check with sales figures store to store after opening, impact on existing resellers.
When you say ", how often do they stock the exact model that you require?" I'm not sure where you live or shop, but in every store I go to, they have more than enough models to satisfy most consumer demands.

----------

Also did some long distance searching but came up with nothing. What cherished landmark are you referring to?

I'm not saying they don't make money, but their main purpose is to spread Apples image and influence. If the average consumer wasn't able to go into stores and play with things before buying, theyd have to rely almost totally on word of mouth.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland

Come on Dublin can't be that long away every other major city in Europe has one.

Isn't Berlin a major city in Europe any more?

RubenTheys

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
To Apple:

Please come to Antwerp with your retail.
The Belgian life alone is just too hard to live.
You can sell your iPhones on the main square.
By a college where i hope to graduate soon.

Please come to Antwerp,
They said no.

Boy you go buy at APRs.

:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.