Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAWJr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
Oregon, USA
Weekly Photo Contest January 16-23 2012 // Culture

Topic: Culture

Many of us on this forum are from very different places on this earth. How do you identify yourself? What is an example of your native culture? What is a normal daily activity to you that would appear foreign to somebody else on this forum? I'm hoping all of you extremely talented photographers here can let your cameras be a window to the world this week. Have fun with it- I look forward to seeing your results!

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Guanyin is the bodhisattva associated with compassion as venerated by East Asian Buddhists, usually as a female.

Attachments

• Guanyin-contest-adjusted.jpg
    Guanyin-contest-adjusted.jpg
    966.1 KB · Views: 213

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
An Alaskan Inuit Culture. A woman splitting a skin for a traditional boat cover.

Attachments

• K20A6633.jpg
    K20A6633.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 190

cabernar

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
Ottawa
After much lurking, I've signed up. Here's my first of what are hopefully many contest entries.

img0583swa.jpg

Tailgating before football games is a touchstone of American culture...

Rich-212

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
hopefully not too late...

some Italian coffee culture. Click on through for larger image

Attachments

• 6750747969_c36c15d532_b.jpeg
    6750747969_c36c15d532_b.jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 196

JAWJr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
Oregon, USA
The contest is now closed- thank you to all who participated! I'll have results posted later this evening.

JAWJr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
Oregon, USA
I loved the variety this week. "Culture" is so subjective… I really was looking forward to how you all would interpret it. Thank you for the honour of being able to judge this weeks competition!

deep diver: Great shot. The culture behind this really speaks for itself. I love the colours, the detail, and how though you lined up the mouth with the hand, the fingers aren't quite aligned straight. Gives it a great human aspect.

NMMC4090: I respect this. It's a culture practiced by many people I know. This is an awesome snapshot of action. Great focus considering how quickly the ATV must have been coming towards you. I like the alertness of his eyes, and the tears of his jeans blowing back in the wind. Well done.

Keleko: I remember your Festival of Lights photos from months past. To me, the spectrum of colours presented is just beautiful. The dark-to-light transition from left to right really brings your eyes that way. This seems like a very tranquil and long-lasting culture.

AlexH: Well-taken shot. The lighting really draws your eyes center and upward. Love the contrast from cold stone floor to warm wood structure. A lot of symbology here- and certainly is a culture many follow.

Elbert_C: I like how you've managed to capture a second of this families life. It's as if I'm standing watching him prepare the entire skin from start to finish (with the dog watching me). Perfect shot for black and white. It really centers your attention on the work the person is doing. So much time and dedication goes into their work. Great job.

Macman45: It's amazing what we were able to build by hand hundreds of years ago. Such a beautiful setting. The rocks on the bottom and left are a bit distracting however to me- where did you take this picture from? I may have tried to have either more rocks on the bottom or non at all. I like how you got the road on the left, and what might be a train bridge (?) on the right- nice display of old & new.

VirtualRain: Your New Years snowshoeing pictures have been brilliant. I like how they show what these people do at night, year in and year out, regardless of the weather. It's this type of culture that really creates memories.

Nicolasdec: Amazing photo. A culture very long-lived. I've heard about these people and their trained fishing birds. How their necks are tied so that they'll never be able to swallow a fish that is big enough to be caught and sold. You've captured a great expression on the persons face while they are presumably feeding a bird for its efforts.

jodelli: A lot of culture behind the arts- one that is passed down through generations. Seeing the band playing while the rest of the busy action is unfolding in the hallway is neat. Makes you feel as if you're wandering down that hallway yourself exploring before the film starts.

cabernet: Welcome to the forum! You've posted a great first shot. I like how the sun is coming from behind them. Tailgating is a huge culture, and you've captured here what's most important- good friends, good food, and good drink.

Sideonecincy: Great street culture. I like the message. Shows a positive transition in our cities. You've captured a very understated form of art.

Shutter_Speed: Good choice of lens for this shot. You've fit a lot in the frame. This photo really gives you a sense of where many people spend their life- living in buildings like these while looking out towards the big city.

Chappers: Another great view into an ordinary day in a village. Where was this taken? I like the cobblestone street, the stone foundations and the wooden framing in the buildings. The children holding hands while walking is neat to see. Good job for not making the bright background overpower the light foreground.

Rich-212: If you hadn't told me this was italian coffee culture I wouldn't have known what this was- Good lighting and details though. The man, slightly out of focus in the background, gives a sense that this is a restaurant getting ready to open for the day. My girlfriend, for one, is a strict follower of coffee culture.

And my top three are:

(1) Nicolasdec
(2) Elbert_C
(3) Keleko

Thank you to all who participated in this weeks challenge! Nicolasdec, you know what to do-

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Thanks JAWJr, Yes, They put a ring around the birds neck so it cant swallow the fish. he was actually removing a fish from the bird. The poor birds are kept very hungry.

New contest is up now!

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
Thanks for the 2nd place, JAWJr. Congratulations Nicolasdec & Keleko.
Just an FYI, the person was a her, not a him. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.