Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iMore claims that Apple may be transitioning away from the standard 30-pin dock connector to something more compact in the very near future.
An updated "micro dock" could make room for bigger batteries, 4G radios, and other components far more important to the iPhone and iPad in a PC free world.
As the site points out, Apple has worked hard to miniaturize other components in their iOS devices. Apple was one of the first to adopt the micro-SIM and has even proposed an even smaller SIM card design so they could make even thinner designs.

dock-connector-620x310-500x249.jpg

As iMore points out, the current dock connector isn't huge, but as devices continue to get smaller and thinner, every little bit counts.

Moving away from such a ubiquitous connector, however, would be walking away from an enormous ecosystem of existing 3rd party products. Still, Apple's constant desire to make smaller/thinner designs will naturally put pressure on the size of all their components. Apple's recent move to PC-free computing with iCloud syncing may have also diminished the importance of the dock connector.

We reached out to iMore's Editor-in-Chief Rene Ritchie who said that the report came from a "solid source". iMore also made headlines recently by predicting the date for the iPad 3 launch, which is believed to be accurate.

Article Link: Apple Readying Miniaturized Dock Connector for Future iPhones?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That and the European standard of micro USB plug for all smartphones (simplifying power chargers) would imply a shift away from 30pin dock connectors.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Moving away from such a ubiquitous connector, however, would be walking away from an enormous ecosystem of existing 3rd party products. Still, Apple's constant desire to make smaller/thinner designs will naturally put pressure on the size of all their components. Apple's recent move to PC-free computing with iCloud syncing may have also diminished the importance of the dock connector.
Most likely there will be an adapter cable made by someone so people can use their existing add-ons.

oakland6980

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That and the European standard of micro USB plug for all smartphones (simplifying power chargers) would imply a shift away from 30pin dock connectors.

I thought the EU was requiring all devices to use micro USB without a dongle. Did i misunderstand that?

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
Thunderbolt?

Smaller dock and Thunderbolt support? I hope so. It would greatly increase the need/want for a Thunderbolt port on your Mac and would probably get a lot of people to upgrade their Macs just for this boost in syncing speed (including me).

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Let's move them to the MicroUSB standard that most phones are now using, even here in the U.S.

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
I thought the EU was requiring all devices to use micro USB without a dongle. Did i misunderstand that?

Yes, you did misunderstand. Apple is currently getting by with shipping a dock to micro USB adapter with iPhone in Europe. Changing what the dock looks like, as long as they continue to supply a sufficient adapter, will keep them within the confines of the law.

Dark-Sider

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
Hi,

first, EU-law does not require the micro usb port to be directly on the device. An adapter (which already exists for the iphone) is sufficient.

second, I fear, that a smaller and slimmer dock connector won't be able to support the weight of the device anymore.

bye
Darky

Aquaduck04

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
It will be a bad day, but its inevitable and might as well happen sooner rather than later. I initially felt sorry for accessory makers (obsolete inventory), but this will be a boon for them forcing people to upgrade.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
How old is the patent on the 30-pin connector at this point? I would certainly expect them to transition away well before the patent expires, so that virtually no third parties could cash in due to the number of devices still in the wild.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
I thought the future is clear on this: wireless sync :confused:

The dock connector is used to charge the phone as well. You can't wirelessly sync a device that has no battery power. Additionally, wireless sync activates by default when it detects a power input.

It's not just a "dock" connector, it's power.

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
Smaller dock, fewer pins, peripheral compromise?

Let's move them to the MicroUSB standard that most phones are now using, even here in the U.S.

The 30-pin dock currently carries power, usb data, line-audio, video, and serial. These peripherals still matter if you want connectivity to other devices.

But then again, Apple already has alternative to having audio/video–via Airplay and BT audio–they could simplify the dock by having few pins. Or they can opt a protocol agnostic port like thunderbolt.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
Hi,

first, EU-law does not require the micro usb port to be directly on the device. An adapter (which already exists for the iphone) is sufficient.

second, I fear, that a smaller and slimmer dock connector won't be able to support the weight of the device anymore.

bye
Darky

It doesn't require a dongle, either. A proprietary cable that terminates in a USB-A plug (e.g., the current iPhone dock cable) meets the requirements. Absolutely nothing (not a single thing) needs to change for Apple to be 100% in compliance.

Last edited:

oakland6980

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Hopefully, in a not-so-far future, they'll remove the cable all together.

How to charge?

nductive charging i guess. but i dont want to have to use a special case to charge. So i guess its up to Apple to make a inductive chargeable back plate.

any other ideas?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Add Firewire support!
Otherwise, this is a stupid change. The iPod touch is thin enough, and it supports the current dock connector.

I can't imagine even wanting anything thinner than an iPod touch, especially not at the cost of losing my accessories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.