Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac wannabe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Appleton, WI
Tomorrow is leap year so I thought this week's topic should be leap! Have fun!

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
minnesota-snowboard-photography-12.jpg

Bartlindon

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
Water leap

Attachments

• salto_gabbiano.jpg
    salto_gabbiano.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Rich-212

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
Leap

If ity's not too late, can I re-submit my entry from last week? Not because I think it would win, but I'd like some feedback!

Thanks

R

Attachments

• leap.jpeg
    leap.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 185

imac wannabe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Appleton, WI
This shot I was unsure of what you were trying to convey. It's not a horrible shot but I can't see where the subject is coming from or going to. I know they are leaping but I can't see it happening. I do like the colors.

I love the spontaneity of this shot, nice catch! I do wish the two leaping were the focal point. That would be my only complaint..nice job.

Water leap
This is another shot that as soon as I seen it I liked it. Nice catch in terms of timing. I wish I knew why you choose the post processing that you did. The green sky and vignette meant something to you when you did it I'm sure.

This is a very sharp focus shot, you did good there..I wish there was more of a subject. The background is so featureless and void. Compare to the bird above with the splashing water. You can see it just adds so much to the photo.

Very nice shot, right to the subject! I have young children and these types of photos are always fun. Your subjects are sharp even though they are leaping, nicely done.

This is another just plain cute and well done shot. The shadow to her side is such a nice effect. I'm not sure if you planned it that way but to me that just makes the shot! The shot also looks spontaneous, was it? Absolutely one of my favorites of the bunch!

Another spot on for the subject. I love the eyes all focused on the frisbee. This is sharp and caught perfectly at the top of the leap...nice work.

If ity's not too late, can I re-submit my entry from last week? Not because I think it would win, but I'd like some feedback!
Thanks

R
I love the shot in general. One of those snapshots we all look back on and say "I remember that day!" On the technical side the subject is slightly blurry, try and use a high shutter speed if possible. It looks like it was a dark dreary day, crank up the iso and get the shutter speed higher for action shots. I realize that it's hard to anticipate little kids.:)

Ok the winners are.....

Third Place - ergdegdeg - I liked this over the kids in the pool because I can see the subject's faces...:)

Second Place - Sideonecincy - This is really nice I just wish the focus was on subjects...nice photo!:)

First Place - Somepix - I loved this shot the moment I saw it. Great subject, great background, I love the shadow next to the subject and it's sharp as a tack. Really a cute and nicely done shot! Congrats!:D

Thanks for all the entries...it was fun!

Eolian

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
Good topic, this was a fun one. Some really great shots all around!

Somepix, I agree with our host ... I loved this picture the moment I saw it. My pick for 1st also. Congrats, and thank you to imac wannabe for the contest and commentary :)

Somepix

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
Beauce, Québec
Two more, just for fun

Oh Wow ! We are very pleased that you liked this pix ! Thank you !

We had spent the night before at Zabriskie Point, sipping energy drinks, walking around, gossiping and waiting for the sun to rise. Nice temperature, no wind, bright stars, incredible scenery, full moon. Perfect ! In the morning, as the sun and temperature rose, we drove out of Death Valley. We crossed a dried out lake, took a walk, and... of course... shadows ! My daughter started to jump... and the pictures were obvious !

(Long story short : we were on a father and daughter road trip across the continent, from Québec to San Francisco and back. For her 15th birthday. Wooohoo !)

Leap_ 0615 par Somepix1851, sur Flickr
Leap_0616 par Somepix1851, sur Flickr

imac wannabe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Appleton, WI
Oh Wow ! We are very pleased that you liked this pix ! Thank you !

We had spent the night before at Zabriskie Point, sipping energy drinks, walking around, gossiping and waiting for the sun to rise. Nice temperature, no wind, bright stars, incredible scenery, full moon. Perfect ! In the morning, as the sun and temperature rose, we drove out of Death Valley. We crossed a dried out lake, took a walk, and... of course... shadows ! My daughter started to jump... and the pictures were obvious !

(Long story short : we were on a father and daughter road trip across the continent, from Québec to San Francisco and back. For her 15th birthday. Wooohoo !)

[url=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7198/6964135195_accc64dd16_m.jpg]Image[/url]
Leap_ 0615 par Somepix1851, sur Flickr[url=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7040/6818011744_4749a9a87c_m.jpg]Image[/url]
Leap_0616 par Somepix1851, sur Flickr

Thanks, it's nice to hear how it all came together...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.