Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On the eve of the Apple media event for the iPad 3, Apple has added a new category in the App Store. The new category is called "Catalogs" and seems to be not yet fully deployed.

catalogs.jpg

Several existing apps have already been placed into the Catalogs category, including Catalog Spree (pictured above), SkyMall, MTG Merchant and more. These apps have long existed in the App Store and have now been recategorized to "Catalogs". The apps had previously been listed under the Lifestyle and Utility sections of the App Store.

The Catalogs category is not yet fully deployed to the App Store, and is not accessible directly from the App Store's category listings. Linking directly to the Catalogs category in the App Store presently shows an empty list.

Joaquin Ruiz, CEO of Catalog Spree, seems to believe that the timing could be related to the media event tomorrow. Ruiz said in an email, "Adding an app category is not something that Apple does lightly and we believe Apple's decision reflects the importance of this usecase in the Apple App Store ecosystem."

Apple is hosting a media event tomorrow in San Francisco. The timing of the App Store changes are suggestive that it may be related to the event.

Article Link: Apple Creates a New App Store Category Called 'Catalogs' on Eve of Media Event

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Scanned over that image quickly and had to backtrack. I thought it said, "Catalog Spree by Pedophiles".

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Great.
Another way to tell the world through FB your purchases, tastes and addictions. Love the Jane Jetson-like sexist err... sexy icon.

runningman1228

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
I wonder if apps in this category have to pay the same 30% or whether they'll get to pay a reduced percentage for things purchased through the app. I can't see it being very popular for catalog companies if this isn't the case...

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
I wonder if apps in this category have to pay the same 30% or whether they'll get to pay a reduced percentage for things purchased through the app. I can't see it being very popular for catalog companies if this isn't the case...

Surely the App would be free and Apple wouldn't get a damn cent from any sales generated using it? :confused:

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live

Wouldn't catalogs be free? Is that even possible, free books/magazine?

Sleepymoose285

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
Who cares about a stupid catalog section in the app store? Last I heard, we're getting a new iPad tomorrow. This post is like a news article about limited supply of green and red wrapping paper on christmas eve. Just give me my presents!

sigma8

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
Good. I welcome the new category. That's 3+ less apps that I want in my search results in any other category.

Alexjones

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Does Apple have a pancake App? I like Pancakes. Does anybody here like Pancakes? I like Pancakes... And waffles too. Does anyone like waffles? If you like Waffles, Which do you like better, Pancakes or waffles? Im going to bed now.

Last edited:

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002

Apple currently doesn't take a cut from these apps, why would they start tomorrow? Apple only takes a cut of content sold and used on their platform. This has always been the case. You can still buy goods from Amazon, eBay, Target, etc. and Apple doesn't take a cut of that.

fjanderson94

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2011
NH
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Agreed, I never thought about that. Smart thinkn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.