Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A series of last-minute rumors and speculation are suggesting that the iPad 3 might include haptic technology that would give on-screen objects texture. The rumors have linked Finnish company Senseg with Apple and have been fueled by Apple's media event invitations carrying the tagline "We have something you really have to see. And touch."

senseg_haptic_banner.jpg

While speculation about Senseg and Apple has been floating under the radar for some time and a rationale for it was posted in our forums last week, The Guardian was the first major source to put forward the specific claim yesterday, noting that conversations with Senseg executives earlier this year left The Guardian with the impression that the company was indeed working with Apple.
When the Guardian met Senseg's chiefs in their Helsinki offices in January, its directors declined to say whether they had spoken to Apple about the use of the technology in the iPad - but said they were talking to tablet manufacturers. [...]

But asked this week whether Apple is a customer for the E-Sense technology, Petri Jehkonen, Senseg's technical marketing manager, declined to comment. Asked whether Apple is not a customer, he replied: "That would be for Apple to say. My comment is no comment."
The Next Web has also put together a speculative piece suggesting that haptic feedback could indeed be making an appearance on the iPad 3.
The bits and pieces that I've managed to uncover are tantalizing and have led me to believe that at least one major new feature that we have not seen before on an Apple device before will make an appearance on the new tablet.

I'll be honest up front: I have been unable to nail down exactly what it is. [...]

The most tantalizing and attractive possibility I could come up with was the introduction of a touch-feedback technology for the iPad's display.
The report continues with a reasoned analysis of how Apple may have been able to quietly include the technology in the iPad 3 and the unobtrusive nature of the haptic technology itself that could have been kept behind the scenes.

And now Pocket-lint is weighing in with its own claims, once again pointing to quotes from Senseg executives as hints that the company may be working with Apple.
"We won't be making any statements until after Apple's announcement," a company spokesman told Pocket-lint with a timing that's just too obvious to be anything else after we asked them the direct question of whether Senseg is involved in the iPad 3 launch.
The report also links back to a Trusted Reviews report from June 2011 in which Senseg claimed it was working with "a certain tablet maker based in Cupertino."

Apple has certainly expressed interest in haptic technology in the past, as evidenced by patent applications on the company's ideas. But specific rumors about incorporating the technology into iOS devices have been essentially non-existent until now. With just a few hours to go until Apple's media event, observers don't have long to wait to find out if the last-minute claims are true.

Article Link: iPad 3 to Include Haptic Display Technology to Provide On-Screen Textures?

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

While this would certainly be a nifty feature, it won't be making an appearance today. Maybe the iPad 4 ;)

Broojo02

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
UK
A quad core processor, retina display and haptic feedback seem like a little too much for a product upgrade :p

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
would be great but since it didn't make it into the iPhone yet I doubt that it would be done at the much larger iPad.

Also there are already some big changes to the iPad (likely) like retina display, 4G, A5X, 1GB Ram. Adding a haptic display would probably make it too expensive and add too much challenge to the engineering for now.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Well Apple did invite the press to see and touch the next iPad. See the retina display and touch the screen for haptic feedback. We will find out soon.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
I don't know if that is going to happened or not but they got to push with new technologies for iPad, iPhone to not be left behind. Good example is the latest Samsung Galaxy Beam with projector installed.
All what I am saying is what would be selling point of iPad 4 or iPhone 5? Better processor and better camera? I am afraid its not enough to make me upgrade my iPhone 4 or 4s or iPad 2.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
That would be amazing, but it seems like a long shot with regard to it being released today. This technology moving forward, though, could really help tablet computing fully replace that of traditional pc computing.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83G) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I've yet to see haptic feedback that works well. Usually, on all the phones I've tried, I press an on-screen UI element, and... the entire phone vibrates. What's the point of that?!

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
That would be awesome, but I just can't imagine how this would work with a rigid glass screen, and I don't think Apple would use a plastic screen just for this.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
General Consensus:

Oh Man!! How I would love to have that....but it aint happenin

RevolvingSheep

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
Man... Apple would make a killing and shock the world if this tech was in the iPad 3. It would be so hard to buy an iPad 3 for months! As awesome as this would be, I doubt it's coming. Especially if the iPad 3 only has the slightly upgraded processor.

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
I'd love it to be true

But I'm not even sure what I'd want it to do, I think what I have in mind would still require magic. If every pixel was now RGBA+S for stickiness then that would be awesome.

Or how about RGBA+NSFW for Nobblyness, Stickyness, Fleshyness and Wetness?

monkeybongo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
It would be great but seems not needed given the current competition in the market. iPad 3's are going to sell like hot cakes without it on the basis of the retina screen.

I'm sure a prototype is sitting in Ive's labs and they take the time to polish the features and functionality before releasing it.

ckorhonen

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
NYC
That would be awesome, but I just can't imagine how this would work with a rigid glass screen, and I don't think Apple would use a plastic screen just for this.

With Senseg's technology there are no moving parts - haptic feedback is not provided through vibrator motors.

Instead, an electrostatic field is used to mimic the sensation of interacting with different materials - I've seen a few demos and it really is magical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.