Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced today that it has sold 3 million new iPads in less the four days of availability, calling it the "strongest iPad launch yet."

ipad_3_hand1.jpg

CUPERTINO, California-March 19, 2012-Apple® today announced it has sold three million of its incredible new iPad®, since its launch on Friday, March 16. The new iPad features a stunning new Retina(TM) display, Apple's new A5X chip with quad-core graphics, a 5 megapixel iSight® camera with advanced optics for capturing amazing photos and 1080p HD video, and still delivers the same all-day 10 hour battery life* while remaining amazingly thin and light. iPad Wi-Fi + 4G supports ultrafast 4G LTE networks in the US and Canada, and fast networks around the world including those based on HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA.**

"The new iPad is a blockbuster with three million sold-the strongest iPad launch yet," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "Customers are loving the incredible new features of iPad, including the stunning Retina display, and we can't wait to get it into the hands of even more customers around the world this Friday."
Apple didn't announce first weekend sales numbers for the iPad 2 as they were in extremely short supply, but the company sold more than 300,000 of the original iPad on its first day, and it took 28 days to move the first million iPads.

The iPhone 4S sold 4 million units in its first weekend, with a much lower (to the customer) price point and wider availability. Considering the tremendous success Apple has seen with the iPhone 4S, the launch of the iPad 3 was very strong indeed.

Article Link: New iPad Sales Top 3 Million in Under 4 Days

Alexs45

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2005
Wow. Will the stock hit $650 in the next week or so? I think its very possible.

Droopyboy

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Worldwide or us only?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Worldwide or us only?

certainly worldwide.

arn

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
I think the reason for such strong numbers has to do with a few factors... all of the standard ones that you'd expect like: apple fans, people who wanted a new iPad, people who wanted retina, people who wanted 4g, etc.

PLUS... The people who bought 2-10 thinking that this launch was going to be like every single other Apple launch, and that there would be tremendous demand and little supply.

I think a LOT of these iPads will be returned once scalpers (resellers) realize there isn't a market for marking up iPads when Best Buy and Wal-Mart still have stock!

badtzwang

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Not exactly wordwide. Just the countries it was available at launch.

Just wait until next launch phase.

Apple's launch strategy for the new iPad was much more aggressive than the iPad 2 and spanned a great number of countries.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Incredible! I was expecting 2 million. 3 million in 4 days is quite the accomplishment, not only in terms of sales, but in their ability to keep the supply chain running.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I think the reason for such strong numbers has to do with a few factors... all of the standard ones that you'd expect like: apple fans, people who wanted a new iPad, people who wanted retina, people who wanted 4g, etc.

PLUS... The people who bought 2-10 thinking that this launch was going to be like every single other Apple launch, and that there would be tremendous demand and little supply.

I think a LOT of these iPads will be returned once scalpers (resellers) realize there isn't a market for marking up iPads when Best Buy and Wal-Mart still have stock!

No ...the International launch isn't until March 23rd and scalpers are primarily selling into markets that won't get an iDevice for a while if at all.

The difference this year is that Apple didn't blow their wad and launch early like the iPad 2. Guess those rumors late last year about manufacturing were true

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
But... But..

All the threads I read about how interest in iPad was dying just because of no lines at retail.

How can this be?!

/sarcasm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.