Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Go Wide!

Interpret it in as many ways as you want...wide angle...wide color gamut...a wide subject..."What in the wide, wide world of sports?" (to loosely quote Slim Pickens)...and so on.

I stretched the dates out just a tad. I got started late getting this up and I'll be out of town until the 3rd. Hopefully that's fine.

Looking forward to the entries!

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Wide

wings-wide3.jpg

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Perhaps I interpret the theme a little too literally... :) But I feel the image works in other definitions of "wide" as well.

200907192302.jpg

imac wannabe

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
Appleton, WI
Wide Angle Rainbow

Funny thing is we didn't realize this was happening..my youngest son nonchalantly said "Hey look a double rainbow." Luckily we looked:eek: Please click for "full size". The original is nearly 10000 pixels wide!

Attachments

• Resized Rainbow.jpg
    Resized Rainbow.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 188

Bartlindon

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
Wide Nature on Man work

"Nature stretcheth out her arms to embrace man, only let his thoughts be of equal greatness"
7032375443_13e83866ca_c.jpg

Castel del Monte - Apulien, Italy

Last edited:

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
I apologize for being so late with the judging but I just got back into the land of cell phone reception and internet connections. I thought we would be back by the 3rd. I thought I might be able to pop on and make a quick judgment but after seeing these entries that will be impossible. I promise I will have the results up tonight and thanks to everyone for there patience.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks everyone for waiting and sorry again that it took so long. There were some great shots in here and as usual it was difficult picking a winner. I had to go with the shots that really spoke to me personally the most in order to narrow it down. With that in mind here is the usual feedback (from an amateur) and this weeks winners.

AlexH - Nice black and white and you have set the horizon just right. The boat adds just the right bit of interest to the shot. My only comment is that there might be a bit too much sky in the top of the photo. I might would crop it to 16:9 but I still think it's a great shot.

butch10x - I saw your work for the first time in the last photo contest and this shot is along the same lines and just as impressive. Very cool perspective. The only thing I find distracting is the jumble at the top center of the columns but that is a complaint for the builder.

fitshaced - I've seen some of your Sidney shots before and they are all great. I like the colors in the city and the water. The sky is a bit grainy, I'm not sure if you meant it to be that way or not. Great composure though.

triptolemus - Nice capture of a moment and nice framing. The gull is a bit blasted and out of focus but all of a sudden it kind of gave me that "The Birds" feeling.

whodareswins - Wonderfully framed and hits the mood just about perfect. I really like the somber tones and the perspective. Great shot.

deep diver - Nice interpretation of the theme. I'm guessing you could've used a higher shutter speed but I know sports shots are pretty hard to hit right. What I'm not sure is if this is the QB releasing the ball or a WR coming back to the ball. From the direction #10 is headed and the way everyone is looking and not yet cheering I'm guessing it's the QB.

cabernar - Nicely composed and the light on the town is nice. You might have tried continuing to remove the branches (read it on your flickr). They seem to keep my eye from going all the way to the town.

Ruahrc - Yep, it's wide. It's wide open country so it is fitting. The colors are nice and the flag is like a very interesting bonus in the shot. It looks like Nebraska, South Dakota, or North Dakota but I'm not sure.

fcortese - Very neat shot. I like the layers that are present between the road, the eroded monuments and the snow covered peaks. I'm guessing this was stitched together as the lighting seems a little off on the right side. That little patch of road really makes it work for me.

Nicolasdec - I like it a lot. Infrared right? I've always wanted to use it for something but never thought it worked right. It works in this shot. The contrasts are great and again the layers are really cool. I can't decide if I like the buildings in the photo or not but either way I think it's a wonderful composition.

iMac wannabe - Awesome and lucky that you had a camera. Was this stitched or with a a fish eye? I've seen doubles before but never two full ones like that.

coryndiego - Pretty cool wide angle shot. It's too bad they didn't make the building symmetrical on both sides. Nice composure.

waloshin - Nice…two double rainbows in one contest. Did you choose to go square or did you take this with a medium format camera? I might have gone wider to have more off to the right and have the rainbows more on the left third. Not sure.

Sideonecincy - Cool shot. You might not have had much control of it but I would have like to have seen it dead centered and have had a bit more of the stadium in the shot.

Barltlindon - Interesting shot and nicely composed. I can't quite make out what the "man" objects are in the background. Silos of some sort. I like what you are doing here but it is a bit over processed for me.

sunnyj - Nice composure, beautiful smooth colors, and interesting foreground. Not much more to say…well done.

VI - (I don't know how to make the trademark thing). Cool but the fisheye effect is too much for me. The vignetting takes away from it. With out it it might look like a shot of a reflection.

Shhmmooove - Very fun shot. I like it because I find my self staring at it for a while looking for different things. I think the tilt shift works very well with this shot even though it doesn't necessarily make everything look tiny and toy like.

steveash - Don't worry, I was late too. Pretty shot. The only thing I would have wanted more of was a lucky ray of sunlight on the glider.

Runner Up - Shhmooove A shot that was a lot of fun to look at. I like tilt shift especially when it's used a little differently.

First Runner Up - whodareswins I found this shot very appealing. (get it) I was actually drawn back to this image over and over. I loved it.

Winner - Nicolasdec Superb composure and I loved the contrast with the infrared. I could actually see this shot hanging up in my house. Great job and for me you really deserve the win.

Thanks again for the patience. Nicolasdec it's on to you for the next one.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Nicolasdec - I like it a lot. Infrared right? I've always wanted to use it for something but never thought it worked right. It works in this shot. The contrasts are great and again the layers are really cool. I can't decide if I like the buildings in the photo or not but either way I think it's a wonderful composition.

Yes its IR. I love the way IR looks when you are photographing buildings, it gives it some amazing contrast. Thanks

Ill post the new topic now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.