Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CPU World reports that Intel will be introducing a number of its new Ivy Bridge processors for desktop and mobile systems during the week of April 22-28, with availability set for April 29. The date had previously been cited as the launch for quad-core desktop chips, but the latest rumors indicate that several quad-core mobile chips will be making their debuts at the same time.

april_29_ivy_bridge_launch.jpg

Ivy Bridge chips scheduled for April 29 launch
The new chips launching on April 29 seem to give Apple a number of options for upgrading its higher-end Mac lineup, including the iMac and MacBook Pro. But lower-power chips suitable for the MacBook Air will not arrive until June 3 based on the claimed timetable.
Ivy Bridge processors will be announced in the 4th week of April, between April 22 and April 28. The announcement will include only quad-core models: mobile Core i7 and Core i7 Extreme families, desktop Core i7, Core i5-3570K, i5-3570T, i5-3550, i5-3550S, i5-3450 and i5-3450S. The announced chips will be available for sale on April 29, and the reviews and benchmarks should be published on the same day.
On the MacBook Pro side, the Core i7-3720QM and 3820QM chips appearing on April 29 would appear to be the natural successors to the processors found in the current high-end 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models. Apple is, however, reportedly slimming down its 13-inch and 15-inch models, and it is unclear how those design changes will impact the company's selection of processors in the smaller models.

june_3_ivy_bridge_launch.jpg

Ivy Bridge chips scheduled for June 3 launch
The June 3 launch will bring a significant expansion of availability for mobile computers, adding six dual-core mobile Core i5 and Core i7 processors and a pair of ultra-low voltage dual-core chips. Lower-end Core i3 chips are scheduled to follow in the third quarter of the year.

Article Link: Ivy Bridge Quad-Core Desktop and Mobile Processors Reportedly Launching on April 29

l.w41sh

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Florida
New MacBookPros

How do we not know that they have been working with Apple and the laptop update will be the same week?

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
Its about time we get some Macbook Pro news. Stoked for next month.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I'd like to see an updated MacBook Pro lineup featuring these Ivy Bridge processors, a slimmer design (losing the optical drive but still big enough to fit in a good graphics card) and HiDPI screen by the time the back to school promotion kicks off in June.

:apple:

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
For people waiting for the MBA update, this might sound bad. But you can look at the positive: the longer it takes before it's updated, the more likely it is that it will have 8GB of RAM. Though I doubt they would miss that opportunity to begin with, it will also probably have better battery life. Plus who knows, maybe HiDPI? The more time that goes by, the more likely these things are.

Oh and June is right in line with a summer release of Mountain Lion, so it seems likely that this is the right timetable.

coolguy$$$

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2012
Apple might release the Macbook Pro series during the last week of April. They tend to get access to latest Intel chips before everyone else.

Also, there have been many rumours stating the production of a new line of Macbook Pro/Air that are expected to be released this April.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
At least some news...

I've been waiting for a Mac Mini and iMac refresh to make my final decision.

Anyway for those waiting on Mac Pro they will not be getting Ivy Bridge chips but Sandy Bridge E so you'll have to be waiting blind.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
How do we not know that they have been working with Apple and the laptop update will be the same week?

Does it behoove Intel to work with one company and not others? I find it difficult to believe Apple is a big enough customer for them to do so. Unless Apple threw a dumptruck full of cash at them, which is entirely possible.

YapperJ

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
My local Apple store is selling the current MBP's with up to €500 sale because a new line is coming. So I'm also guessing it'll be there around May-June.

As for the iMac, I was also hoping the same. But from the comments above, it seems like I need to float that thought away.

Coastercub

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
UK
I'm patiently waiting for the new iMac !! Now if they can cram in a GTX 680 I'll be one very happy bunny ! :D

coolguy$$$

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2012
and the wait continues... Its like a mirage...

Macbook Pro... Coming in early April.... late April... mid May... early june... before Christmas...

thegreypatch

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2012
been waiting a while for some MBP news, so is the 29th april a pretty certain date? always looked like early april from previous rumours.. been giddy as a kipper for this MBP to come out...?

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
I'm considering a 13" MBP for college, but if it's going to use an Ivy Bridge processor, it might not be out in time :(

ozone1

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
So do I have to wait till June....

Am I reading this correctly that even faster processors will be released in late June? I wonder if Apple will do a stealthy bump in specs in Summer/Fall or can we expect to see this April MBP last a while?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.