Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Ok, this has probably been done before, but let's do it again.

My Dock does not magnify, and if it gets in the way, I can hide it by pressing the F13 key. The website link goes to cbs4denver.com .

Let's see your Dock!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 2,345

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Magnifies slightly.
bar is 1/4 of the way over in dock magnification preferences. I like it.

and Lacero, I don't think you have enough apps open at the same time... :D
Only 11? (Not counting dashboard and finder)
:D :D

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 602
L

Lau

Mine is also usually hidden, and it magnifies slightly. See cursor over iCal for the amount.

Attachments

• dock.jpg
    dock.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,284

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Here's a quesion for Tiger people who've left the Dashboard icon in the Dock: Why? Do you actuallly use it, or is it just sitting there out of habit? I'm just curious as to whether it's actual usability that prompted leaving it in, or just sticking with the default?

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
stridey said:
Here's a quesion for Tiger people who've left the Dashboard icon in the Dock: Why? Do you actuallly use it, or is it just sitting there out of habit? I'm just curious as to whether it's actual usability that prompted leaving it in, or just sticking with the default?

I actually use it, I find it more handy than the F12 key since I don't use a regular mouse but rather the mouse included with my Wacom tablet...

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
iindigo said:
I actually use it, I find it more handy than the F12 key since I don't use a regular mouse but rather the mouse included with my Wacom tablet...

*nods* That makes sense. Ever tried using the hot corners? I swear by 'em (f**k! s**t! g*****n! <----see? :p ).

nightdweller25

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2005
Here ya go...

Just cleaned up yesterday, used to have it at the smallest setting with about 40 icons and a very slight magnification. but now its almost the complete opposite, that's how I am, very indecisive, change my desktop every 5 seconds.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 842

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
stridey said:

I killed the icon and activated hot corners.
At first, I was like "whaaaa?" when I was trying to remember what corner was what, but now it's second nature. When I'm on a computer that isn't mine, I'm always trying to go into the upper right for exposé. :p

fuzzn

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2005
Notts, UK
Lacero said:
any chance somebody could tell me which applications all those are? i'm a windows user but i'll be gettin my mac mini sometime in august... i juss feel like knowing what all that stuff mac users use is? don't hate me :eek:

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
OK, I don't know all of them but I'll give it a try off the top of my head.
From left to right:

Finder, Dashboard, Mail, Safari, Address Book, iTunes, iCal, Quicktime Player, System Preferences, Toast Titanium 6, Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Photoshop CS 2, [dunno], [dunno], DVD Player, VLC, [Looks like Batch Monitor], Adobe Bridge, [dunno], Automator, Calculator, Compressor, Dictionary, DVD Studio Pro, Epson Printer Utility, [dunno], [dunno], Font Book, iChat, iDVD, Image Capture, iPhoto, iSync, Limewire, [dunno], [dunno], Preview, [dunno], Apple Remote Desktop, Sherlock, [dunno], Stickies, StuffIt Expander, [dunno], TextEdit, Transmit, [dunno], Grapher, Keychain Access, Grab, Network Utility, Terminal, System Profiler, Printer Setup Utility, Suitcase, [dunno], Adobe Help Center, A.Pack, [dunno], MacTheRipper, [dunno], Windows Media Player, [some folder], [some folder], Applications Folder, Trash.

Whew. So how'd I do?

irmongoose

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
fuzzn said:
any chance somebody could tell me which applications all those are? i'm a windows user but i'll be gettin my mac mini sometime in august... i juss feel like knowing what all that stuff mac users use is? don't hate me :eek:

Np :) I'll name the ones I recognize, in order as shown on the Dock:

Finder - Mac file browser, equivalent of Windows Explorer
Dashboard - Konfabulator-like widgets as part of the OS
Mail - Mail program
Safari - Web browser
Address Book
iTunes - Music player and organizer
iCal - Calendar program
Quicktime player - plays video
System Preferences
Roxio Toast Titanium - CD/DVD burner
Final Cut Pro - Professional video editor
Adobe Premiere (I think)
One of the Abobe CS apps, not sure which one
Azureus - Bittorrent client
Activity Monitor - Monitors your system
DVD Player
VLC Player - Nearly universal video player
an Apple Pro sound app, not sure which one
Adobe CS app, not sure which one
Not sure
Automator - Automates many operations
Calculator
Compressor - Professional video compresser, comes with Final Cut Pro
Dictionary
Not sure
Printer management app
Ac3 decoder
Not sure
Font Book - Font management program
iChat - AIM and Jabber chat client
iDVD - DVD burner, part of iLife
Image Capture - downloads photos from camera or scanner
iPhoto - Manages photos, part of iLife
iSync - Synchronizes information with your phone or iPod
LimeWire - Gnutella client
not sure
not sure
Preview - opens images and PDF files
Quark - desktop publishing/layout design program
Apple Remote Desktop - allow you to control multiple computers
Sherlock - Finds many different types of information on the internet
not sure
Stickies - puts virtual PostIt notes on your desktop
not sure
TextEdit - Text editor, can open Word files
Transmit - Excellent FTP client
not sure
Graphing Calculator
Keychain - keeps your passwords
Grab - takes screenshots
Network Utility - allows many network operations such as WHOIS and Finger
Terminal - opens windows to the OS's UNIX core
System Profiler - shows detailed info about your system
Printer Utility - add/remove printers
not sure
Soundtrack - professional music program, comes with Final Cut Pro
not sure
not sure
not sure
JackTheRipper - DVD ripper
not sure
Windows Media Player - Ironically named WMV player

Hope this helps!

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
fuzzn said:
It's good to hear you are getting a Mac. I can tell you what some of the icons are but there is so much 3rd party software I can't name everything. I see anything from system Applications, to freeware, to purchased software, to shareware. All the programs with a triangle under them are open. This guy must be on a powerful machine to run all of those Applications at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.